New riders take heart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roberto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: New riders take heart Reply with quote

Just want to share my progress with new riders or riders coming back to cycling, hoping to encourage others to stick at it when its easier to test the sofa out for comfort. Very Happy

After doing nothing for years (due to cruciate ligament injury) my fitness base was really poor so last October I decided to do something about it and start cycling.

Now when I was younger I did a bit of cycling so I was horrified at my level of fitness during this ride below. This was my first short ride last october. And believe me I was knackered afterwards Laughing

http://www.strava.com/activities/87944010
speed - 11.4
distance - 7 miles
time - 37.09 min

Today I decided to push a bit further, not particularly aiming to ride fast but wanted to see how my body i.e back and legs etc coped 9 months down the road. Below is todays results.

http://www.strava.com/activities/157949585
speed - 15.7
distance 34.1
time - 2.10 hours

If anyone has looked at these two Strava links you'll see that they look to be two different cyclists. The difference in fitness is staggering.
Don't get me wrong it hasn't come easy, I'm a bit of a lazy git really but I set a target of never going more than 7 days without getting on the bike.

I was really pleased to have a mild winter and now that the weather is better I am ramping up the frequency and the miles. As long as i keep it up through the coming winter then I'm sure I'll be flying next summer.

Weight wise, I guess I have dropped from 14stone to about 13.5 but I have also built leg muscle which is heavier.

So go for it guys, set goals/targets and keep it going

Last edited by Roberto on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done, and most of all, keep it up. Wink
Geezerus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeling very inspired mate. Well done and keep up the good work
mr.b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done fella

I've just got back on a bike (3weeks ago) and its very inspiring
Howard2107

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Roberto Reply with quote

I can only back up what he is saying.

I turned 50 a couple of years ago, and had all the nice habits NOT, drank too much, smoked a hell of a lot, and came home and crashed in front of the TV, my diet was nothing to write a home about either, and just for good measure i had back problems. In all other respects i was fine Embarassed The only thing in my favour was that i played golf, not often maybe 6 or 7 times a year and badly, the 6 mile walk dragging a trolley around used to kill me.

In the space of 2 short years, i have improved my diet, swim at least 2 miles a week without getting short of breath, lost over a stone in weight, play golf at least monthly, and always either walk or cycle anywhere less than 2 miles, unless i am in a hurry. I have also kicked the fags into touch, but do use an E-cig though. I no longer have back problems either.

Now after a 35 break, i have got back into the saddle, and am enjoying it a lot. i wont pretend it is easy, but then i can't say that it is backbreaking either, and i put this down to my overall fitness level, and i recover very quickly. If I can make significant improvements to myself, any one can, it just takes a bit of discipline, and time. It is the old adage, learn to walk before you can run, if you do a little bit often it is enjoyable, and although in the early days you don't seem to make much progress, you actually do without realising it, and its shows in the other things that you do. I can now ride the bike without problems, if i stop to catch my breath after a steady climb of a bout 500 ft over 2 miles, i am off again in about 30 seconds, i can hit a golf ball 30 to 40 yards further than before, i now carry my golf bag, and when i go swimming i only stop when either the time is up, i have done a mile, or i get bored, it is usually the latter.

So anyone who doubts their ability, think again, you can do it, just take it steady, it hurts at first, but the end result is worth it.

After a recent conversation with a swimming coach, apparently once you get into your 40's and 50's your fitness levels will plateau, and at that point you will not get any fitter, the priority is to maintain your ability, rather than to try and improve it.

Cheers........H
Roberto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update

Its almost one year since I took up cycling again after a fifteen year break.

Today I have completed the White Horse Sportive, (short)

My first ever sportive and the results below are taken from my cyclo computer as Strava was a bit skewed by my walking around the feed station (munching on flapjacks) and start/end station

miles 30.4
time 1 hour 52 mins
average speed 16.1mph
http://results.sportident.co.uk/home/event.html?eventid=dcbd18ae-7444- 45d9-9d15-86df43001bcd

http://www.strava.com/activities/199939918

I'm quite pleased with the above, could have tackled a longer ride too, but I'm not sure why the medium ride was so much longer/tougher? Sad

My aim now going into winter is at least to maintain fitness and go into next spring ready to push on again. I can't wait! Smile

Oh and I am now down to 13 stone which seems to help on the hills

Gunner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on completing your Event. Very Happy

I'm sure next year you'll be doing the Medium route, if not the Long. Wink

It's really well organized and great support, so you needn't worry about tackling a bigger distance as long as you've prepared properly. There's lots of help available on the day if things don't go to pplan.

Bit windy out there today too so you did good. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: