Which Road pedals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roberto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Which Road pedals Reply with quote

Been looking today at getting some dedicated road shoes.

Tried on some Shimano RO88's liking the fact that they will take both spd and spd-sl cleats.

Now I've only ever used toe clips on the road but I first used spd's over 20 years ago off-road and I'm happy with them but surely there must be an advantage of a dedicated road system?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-r540-spd-sl-sport-pedals/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-keo-easy-pedals/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/time-xpresso-2-pedals/

Above are the pedals I've been looking at but don't know which system to go for.
I'm not worried about falling off or not getting a foot down as I am quite able to do a track stand even clipped in.

Any thoughts people?

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
nick dv

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, it probably comes down to personal preference, but for value for money you can't go far wrong with the 540's. I've got them on both of my road bikes and so far they've performed faultlessly Smile
Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike is being used for commuting/club-rides/training, I say that normal (double-sided) SPDs are the best bet

You can forget the issues of flipping pedals over at traffic-lights, zebra-crossings & junctions

Roberto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, already have standard spd's fitted, I usually don't clip/unclip more than twice a ride as I don't commute and rarely ride through town.

My current shoes are 15 year old+ mtb style that I found in the garage when I took up riding again, they are extremely heavy and look totally wrong. They are also quite sloppy on the foot and can't be good for power transfer.

Was fancying the lightweight Look pedals and a lightweight road shoe but have no experience of these. Will they make me any faster?
I'm always looking for ways to gain speed as I find this gives me encouragement to ride more.

If I decide to stay with double sided spd's should I stay with mtb style shoes or even a roadie looking touring shoe? I've heard that It can be difficult to "locate" the pedal on a smooth bottomed roadie shoe.

image.jpg
 Description:
my antiques shoes
 Filesize:  256.67 KB
 Viewed:  2505 Time(s)

image.jpg

the last starfighter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use SPDs on the road and they're just fine. A massive improvement over toe-clips anyway. As well as the things mentioned above, I'd think about if you were planning on walking anywhere, which would be very difficult in road shoes, even for short distances.

If you're just doing serious road riding, have very little time off the bike, and only stop for your regular coffee and cake, then there's no reason not to go for proper road shoes, reaping the benefits of any additional stability they offer. But for general purpose, all round riding, SPDs have their advantages too, as pointed out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Biking Gear All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: