Help a skinny guy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeb63

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Help a skinny guy Reply with quote

First of all I'll give you a bit more of an understanding about me. I am 22, 5ft 7 in height and weigh only 8-8.5 stone. Not a lot I know and Have always struggled to put any weight on. A few years ago I was anaemic and have never fully recovered, some days I will be fine but some days if have dizzy spells and my hands will shake and I won't have much strength, sometimes I refuse to drive or work at heights which is the main part of my job. Because it causes me to not think properly and make the wrong decisions which could end very badly.

I always make sure I have had 3 meals a day, drink plenty of fluids but I sometimes find I almost binge eat if I know I have a busy day at work ahead of me where I won't get to eat as much during the day just to keep my energy and strength up. I am a signmaker/fitter which can be very physical at times and involves lifting some heavy weights.

The reason for this post is I am starting to get into mtb but worry the problems above will dramatically affect my riding and I don't want the riding to dramatically affect my health, so I am looking to see what people can suggest when it comes to eating,drinking etc. before during and after a ride so I get the best performance without destroying my health. People have suggested protein recovery shakes to help me put on the weight but the world of supplements is a whole new world to me and have no idea what any of it means.

I know there are all sorts of products out there aimed for sports and fitness, what would people suggest?

I look forward to any advice and hopefully I can get over this horrible thing.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Kajjal

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would discuss this with a medical professional who understands your condition. At your age i was very slim but ate like a horse and never had any problems so it is hard to comment.
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at replacing your current 3 meal a day regime with a 6 meal a day program. Each meal should be of a moderate portion size and always contain some element of protein.
Forget about protein supplements just drink a glass of milk in between meals or as required.

trekster

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like me when i was hyperthyroid, brain fog, lack of strength, anxiety and bad decision making and lost weight extremely easy, had to have my thyroid removed and now it's all gone the other way Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Mikeb63

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that Trekster! Shocked

I've got an appointment booked with the doctor in 1 1/2 months time (earliest they had apparently). Fingers crossed we can get to the bottom of what's going on and I can get riding without having to worry.
Mikeb63

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after blagging my way to an earlier appointment and some blood tests I am
Still Anaemic and I am not getting the calories I should be so now to sort my diet out and get myself back to a healthy weight.
Gunner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeb63 wrote:
..........so now to sort my diet out and get myself back to a healthy weight.

Let us know how you get on with it. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: