Help! So much tyre choice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobbly_Robbly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Help! So much tyre choice Reply with quote

Hi all, I assure you I have tried, but I cannot seem to find consistent advice or indeed make up my mind (It is probably this). So, hence me being here! Apologies in advance for the long post!!

I am after some opinions around tyre choice for my 26" hardtail. I am an older (approaching 40) rider, but am fairly new to actually using my MTB for what it is intended for! I currently have a rather odd setup of 1 Bontrager Jones AC 2.2 on the front and a Mythos semi slick on the rear. Yes I know!

I bought a Continental X King 2.2 RaceSport a month back, but have not got round to fitting it. I was going to just stick it on the front leaving the semi slick on the back, but as I say I am wanting to be more adventurous now. My routes I have planned will include a bit of road on the way to the trail, but are then mainly hardpack soil and loose stone paths/tracks. There are some short sections that include going through more medium and soft soils and then back to very short section of tarmac. From there I will try something like Sherwood Pines which is not far to travel for me and is more traditional trails.

I have budget for a good tyre, but this is where it gets confusing for me as I am not sure whether to utilise my current 12 year tyres or I should be throwing them out. I don't mind changing tyres too much, but if I can avoid it then all the better. At some point I would like to have 3 tyres that cover me for "all" conditions......if that can be done.

So, do I keep the X King up front and get something else on the rear to give me a good all rounder for 3 seasons and is tricky in soft/wet conditions

Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO SnakeSkin 2.1
Maxxis Ikon 3C EXO 2.2
Maxxis Aspen 3C EXO 2.1
Maxxis Ignitor 3C EXO 2.1
or another X King

or stick the X King on the rear and get something more aggressive upfront?

Conti Trail King RS 2.2/2.4
Schwalbe Nobby Nic EVO SS2.2
Maxxis Ardent/Ardent Race3C EXO 2.25

If you could tell me where I should put the X King front/rear and then what you would put on the other wheel considering what my needs are and also what I should do with my old tyres that would be appreciated Smile

Thanks in advance
Nobby

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Nobbly_Robbly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I have asked this differently?

Would 3 types of tyres cover most conditions?

X King front in the summer and rear during the winter.

A fast rear for summer.
Maxxis Ikon, Schwalbe Rocket Ron, Racing Ralph.

A grippy front for winter or poor conditions.
Conti Mountain King
Schwalbe Hans Dampf

Cheers
Magnus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is there is no right or wrong answer and it has been done to death on here. it is what ever works best for you on your chosen terrain and at your skill level.

I run on Verdestein spotted cats or Specialized Renegade S works most of the year, then Shwalbie Ice spikers in snow and ice but then I am on hard pack and gravel most of the time with a bit of tarmac here and there.

try searching the archives; you will be amazed how many tire related posts there are out there.

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
Magnus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a Minion up front and a high roller on the rear, that seems to be a popular combo especially on the trails.

i find the X kings a bit draggy for me

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
Robmet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All year round i run something less aggressive at the rear, normally a Michelin racer on the back and something grippy on the front, the back just follows the front anyway so why make it harder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Biking Gear All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: