Winter HACK
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robmet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Winter HACK Reply with quote

Its finally here...
https://goo.gl/photos/AeMA1EeumoMxGR4q7

After what seemed like an eternity waiting it finally turned up last night. Cue some excited unpacking and its really nice, the colour looks really nice in real life. It came with a few touches which hint at it probably being designed for use in the city rather than the mud. The wheels dont have QR levers which is a bit odd and they slicks it came with must be bullet proof they are so heavy. I'd already bought some WTB cross tyres to go on so did that straight away, the stem was a mighty 120mm so I put a 110mm on to mimic my roadbike, we'll see hot that works out but the frame geo is almost identical to my super six rather oddly.

I didnt really buy it for commuting but got the new bike feeling so strapped some lights on and rode it into work this morning. The gears and brakes need some tweeking to say the least, not sure abut the Cytech mechanic who apparently already set it up.Rolling Eyes

What is nice though is the 2016 Tiagra groupset, much neater cable routing under the bar tape and the chainset looks like the much more expensive offerings with the slick looking grey anodizing.

Looking forward to taking it out into the hill exploring once I buy another set of pedals and some innertubes in the right size, just realised all iv got are either MTB or roadie tubes, nothing for the 30mm size.

Then once its all dialled it im going to take it CX racing.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Magnus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

it looks like a Gravel bike, with that slack head angle and disc brakes. they seam to all the rage at the moment.

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Wink

Like the colour scheme.

Might be an option to think about "In-Line" brake levers if/when you consider upgrades, they really do make a difference on that type of bike.

Jase

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it! Very Happy The new Tiagra groupset looks great.

Have you put the nobbly tyres on? I thought the new model still came with Schwalbe Spicer tyres.
Robmet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jase wrote:
Like it! Very Happy The new Tiagra groupset looks great.

Have you put the nobbly tyres on? I thought the new model still came with Schwalbe Spicer tyres.

Yes I ordered them at the same time as the bike, it was always my intention to make it more of a CX bike than a commutter so I took the spicers straight off.

The odd thing was the knobblies I put on were way lighter than the spicers, they found a good home on my commuter bike where they should be happy.

I took it for an off road ride last night, its amazing how well they cut through the mud compared to a mountainbike. For comparison I did exactly the same route as last week and where i was sliding all over on the mtb I could make really good progress on the CX bike.

The position need a tweek or 2 i think, the drops feel deeper than im used to but i will see how i get on. The other thing I might change is the outer chainring, they supply a standard compact with a 50T which is probably going to be too big to get much use.
Jase

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'm intending to have a dabble at some CX on my Hack at some point and will need to get hold of some nobblies and a smaller outer chain ring. The 50t is good for commuting, but offroad is a bit over-geared.

Point noted on the weight of the Spicers, will look at alternatives when I've worn the ones out on mine and see if I can save a bit of weight as the wheelset isn't light and tyres are cheaper to change than wheels!
Robmet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are heavy but I think its the puncture protection band inside them, so if you are just doing commuting on it for the most part then its probably worth the weight penalty.

The annoying thing about the new tiagra chainset is it uses the new 4 bolt arrangement from last years higher groupsets, nice to have trickledown technology but it makes finding reasonably priced aftermarket chainrings nearly impossible.

I could buy another chainset with smaller rings cheaper than i could buy a smaller chainring for that chainset, seems barmy.
nick dv

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I like it Smile
Jase

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robmet wrote:
They are heavy but I think its the puncture protection band inside them, so if you are just doing commuting on it for the most part then its probably worth the weight penalty.

The annoying thing about the new tiagra chainset is it uses the new 4 bolt arrangement from last years higher groupsets, nice to have trickledown technology but it makes finding reasonably priced aftermarket chainrings nearly impossible.

I could buy another chainset with smaller rings cheaper than i could buy a smaller chainring for that chainset, seems barmy.

I'm in no rush to replace them for the commute, they can soak up the miles in this crappy weather for me then I'll consider my options later.

I'm fortunate with last year's model that I'm still on 5-bolt chain rings.

I hadn't seen the price of the 4-bolt chain rings until you pointed that out, crazy!
Robmet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insane isnt it, £79 for an ultegra ring in 46T, or £50 for a Shiman CX50 chainset with everything Shocked WTF?

I did actually consider all this before buying and I had ordered a 2015 one in the sale the same as yours but then they rang me up and said my size had just sold out so offered me next years one with the same discount Very Happy

By applying bloke logic to this situation I could replace the chainset, buy a decent set of 29'er wheels (you are right about the wheels being heavy) and still be under the original asking price. Which in my eyes makes all of the upgrades effectively free Laughing
Oscer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's one sweet looking stead Rob. Cool Cool
Robmet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you fancy a 'riding cross bikes down daft things' session at hams Oscar?

Alternatively I fancy a proper explore over great pinseat if thats of interest?
Oscer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's to gnarl for skinnies, Guaranteed punctures everywhere, I rode doctors gate down to the gate oh man was my hands aching trying to hold on, I might have a ride up tomorrow weather depending
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides (Road) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: