Bike alarms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superferrisbueller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Bike alarms Reply with quote

Does anyone use one? Iíve been looking to buy one as an extra deterrent for when my bike is locked in the garage (just in case they get through the garage door lock and the two D locks already on the bike (paranoid? Me?!) What from I can tell, the alarm is activated either through movement of the bike, or when the device is forced. Are they worth it, and can anyone recommend a good one?

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Aston5901

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've got no experience of bike alarms but thought I would share my opinion on bike/garage/shed security with you!

Personally, I would spend my money on preventing any thieves getting to my bike rather than spending money on devices that only have a use when a thief is actually at your bike!

What I mean is, maybe It would be wiser to spend money on the security of the garage door?

My bikes have no locks on them in my garage but the door and other points of entry have been 'fort nocked'!

I have several locks on the 'up n over' door plus it's alarmed (connected to main house alarm) There is one window in my garage which is far too small to get a bike through but I placed nails around the bottom and sides of the frame to prevent people getting through!

I've even got a CCTV camera watching the garage (which isn't actually connected to anything) which acts as a deterrent..

This is my view on security and I've not had a bike stolen!

Hope it helps Very Happy

george g

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mentality some thevies have also, is if there is a steel door - go through the wall...

some have been known to cut through a soft aluminium frame with a hack saw to get away with a several grand bike and sell off the pieces...

If youre really paranoid - a garage alarm with a mega loud siren inside the garage (ear poppingly loud would be best) to help deter then put your bike in a welded secure cage thats locked to the floor. also lock away any sharp tools like grinders and hacksaws to stop them picking your grinder up and using that against you to hack the cage apart...

elis.m

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: WIMB tracker Reply with quote

Hi,
do you know the tracker WIMB? I read something about it and it is quite interesting. So, I try to find someone, who know more about it or have it in bike. It should protect bikes from stealing or something like this…
Threevok

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it (even better if you can weld for yourself) you could make a secure cage to keep them in.

One of neighbours (who had quite a collection of Quad-bikes and MTBs) has done this.

This (coupled with a good security system for the garage containing the cage) has been enough to foil several theft attempts - even through the wall and roof

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Biking Gear All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: