Today I did see
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Mc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Today I did see Reply with quote

a professional cycle race, the Tour of the Reservoir. Usually I'm working away so I don't get to see it, I've missed it 3 times due to that, but not this year.

Was pretty fascinating to watch, the guys are lightning fast and the conditions were rough, wind wasn't too high but it was cold and there were a few hailstone showers, I've no idea how they can put themselves through it, 7 laps of this beast @ 91mi. I usually do 1 and I'm done in. The leaders were motoring eveywhere, hills, whatever it was full speed. The peloton were impressive it was a fair lick but appeared more like regular-human levels of endurance, when they hit the hills you could see it was hurting. The local cycle club holds a TT here and 1st place is usually 25mins for 10 miles. According to the info this route was 12miles, and I reckon the leaders were around in 23-25mins, maybe slowing 27-30mins in the closing laps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C8MLUGZHbI

And the winner, interestingly the guy that finished second (left on the photo below) is second-last in the peloton in the video above (seen around the 1:45 mark):

Good video summary here:
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/springcup/article/roa20160416-Spring -Cup-Thomas-Moses-wins-on-first-day-of-Tour-of-the-Reservoir-0

They're doing stage 2 around Blanchland tomorrow.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Jim Mc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the Pearl Izumi Tour Series in Durham last night. Pretty good to watch, did about an hour of a relatively square circuit through durham, including one particular steep descent onto a hairy corner which turns 90 degrees onto a cobbled street and an equally steep climb section.

I dont know how this Tour series compares to the Spring Cup action at the Reservior? Spring Cup looked a lot harder.

Laps took about 4 minutes each, so they must have done in the region of 24 laps.

Localish lad from middlesborough Harry Tanfield came second, cycling for pedal heaven.

Raleigh took the team award. I think another Pedal Heaven cyclist took the fastest lap, didn't catch his name, he got to stand on the podium with a nice looking lady representing Brother. Brother were doing the official timing.

Was a nice setup, really entertaining with a big commentary box and lots of music. If you want yourself a brand spanka Skoda, become a professional cyclist, I counted no fewer than 10, '16 plate Skoda team cars. Must be nice.

Is meant to be broadcast on ITV4, the announcer said tonight but according to their website it's Friday at 9pm. Apparently there was a crash on lap 1 which I didn't see so should be interesting to watch.

Slight complaint, you couldn't see the awards ceremony box at all as a spectator. They'd penned off the area in front of it for officials and reletives, and the enclosure was almost completely empty while average joe were held back at the far end of the street. Poor planning on their part.

Enjoy some rubbish photos and videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCF1CahQmK4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztKW9x2t-gY
Gunner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this. Very Happy

Harry Tanfield is a great rider and a lovely guy, had the pivelege of riding with him for a short distance last year, and a quick chat outside a bike shop in Ayton. Great to see that he came second in last nights event.

Looking forward to seeing the race on ITV4.

Jim Mc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, I feel quite privileged to have been able to see it for a change, is quite exciting to watch! Was on telly last night at 10pm and made a lot more sense.

The leader, Tom Stewart, lost his chain on the cobbles in the second to last lap and ended up coming in third. He was providing the prerace lap commentary and gave a post race interview sounding pretty deflated. I'll have to stand on the bottom corner next year as that's where all the action seemed to happen.

Nasty crash early on the cobbles where the lad seemed to belt his chest off the barriers, almost look like he hit his throat.

Harry gave an interview on Tyne tees at about 6.30 on the day of the race seems like a good guy whos landed on his feet. They all have really though, early 20s and get paid to cycle for a living, not bad.

Recognised Ian Bibby as a podium winner from tour of res. They were only racing for 1hr 45 in Durham so this must have been a cake walk for him compared to the hills in the north Pennines.

The leaders were doing the climb on the last lap easily in 5th gear like a machine. Majority going up in 1st-3rd. Bearing this in mind for my favourite strava segment!

Seems the points leader is so far ahead that he didn't make an appearance for the Durham race even though the winner on the day had a consecutive hat-trick of wins. Not sure how that's possible?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Road Bike Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: