Folding Bikes?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPX309

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Folding Bikes? Reply with quote

Ok, I know it's not quite road riding, and it's not for me (honestly) haha, no it's for my mother, she wants one to help with fitness, she's fairly old (old enough for a free bus pass). . . But I was wondering do these just come in one size? she wants the ones with small wheels so she's not high up off the ground, and will probably likely travel the seafront (all pretty much flat)

Just wondering if there's anything I should look out for, budget probably below £150, I know I've seen a lot for around £200, but I don't think she's willing to pay too much for one.

Thanks.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get quite decent folders but the undisputed king is the Brompton. Unfortunately they're quite a bit more than your budget.

Must it be a folder? If not then consider summat like a second-hand Moulton but TBH, a £150 budget won't really get you anything new that's no more than a piece of mass-produced tat.

The truth of the matter is simple - the cheaper the bike, the less fun to ride (especially for a non-regular cyclist) and the more chance of it not being used more than a couple of times and ending up in the shed or local classified ads.

Oy, less about free bus passes! Next month I'd have had mine for 6 years. Wink Mr. Green

Brian Gilbert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A properly designed folding bike is just as good as a normal bike ... but to get equivalent quality will cost more. So I guess the big disadvantage is higher cost. I wouldn't even consider an inexpensive folding bike (say less than $6-700).

Specific systems vary so it's difficult to say how they compare. Some are easy to assemble and disassemble ... while others are clunky. There are some that fold and others where two halves of the frame disconnect and so do cables.

The main question though is whether you need a folding bike. Since it's pretty easy to sling a bike (with front wheel off) into most cars, or carry it on a rack, the need for folding is reduced. To me a folding bike is useful if you want to carry a bike on a train or airplane ... since they pack down to suitcase size. They also can take up less space in a small apartment or hotel room ... but generally I don't think most people really need one.

Personally, I prefer to put $$ into a better quality bike and components than into folding mechanisms.
Robmet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannondale hooligan.

Bet something like that would be perfect but you may struggle to get one in budget.

Rather than fold the seatpost and stuff just goes out the way so you end up with a small bicycle, great looking little thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Road Bike Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: