Time to take a back seat ....
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudplugger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Kish wrote:

Also, to put things into context, the Olympic road race is pretty second rate. Unlike some of the classic one-day races such as Milan-San Remo, Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaix etc, where it's 100% contested by full-time World Tour professionals, the Olympics is flooded with no-hopers just representing their countries at a level far below the pros.

HTH

Playing Devil's Advocate, I think you have been a bit harsh there Steve. I would not describe the OGRR as second rate. There are some 3rd Division riders at the OG (same as British domestic pro level) but the bulk of the field is “Proper Pro” level and includes a majority of the top riders in the World for this type of course. Admittedly not the strength in depth of Roubaix/Flanders, but the majority of riders in those fields are not there at the end anyway. Those races have similar top quality riders to the OGRR in the top 20-30 fighting it out when it matters. It's those people you have to beat to win not the majority of guys who are not competitive anyway. Second rate, or rather second tier as it sounds less negative, for me would be something like Tour of Britain that has half its field drawn from 3rd Division teams and only a small proportion of the Worlds top riders for that type of event at the sharp end. As an aside the UCI award 600 points for winning the OGRR, but only 500 for Roubaix or Flanders. Not sure I agree with that, but clearly they do not see it as second rate. Nor did the riders given the risks they took on the final descent. Personally I rate the Classics higher than the OGRR, but that's to do with history, the atmosphere and the fact they serve Leffe Brune.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Road Bike Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: