Elixir 1 Issue!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBenny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Elixir 1 Issue!!! Reply with quote

Evening All,
Need to pick the brains of those more (bike) mechanically minded than myself. Rolling Eyes

Initially and as I suspected with all this hot weather my brakes were seized. After rectifying the the front, I took the rear caliper off the mount to find some serious fluid p*ssing from it. If anyone's any thoughts in to this I'd be grateful. Now without personally probing further I'm thinking its a seal gone (optimistic view) or could be worse and could result in a new set of brakes (which such a bad thing with the 1's being way over due an upgrade....which leads me onto my 2nd(ish) question/dilemma.

The rotors that are currently on there are avid 170 front 160 rear. If I were to switch to SLXs would the front take their 180 (it's a 29er by the way) or drop to their 160 and use for front & rear? Also would they fit directly as the E1s have or would I require the mounts they offer as part of the package (post to IS , Post to Post) or are they as I suspect dependant on the size of the rotor used?

On the other hand and just to throw a curve ball in, could I get Codes or XOs and just use existing rotors.... Which may or may not save a few bob...

Also with the E1's that are currently (squatting) on there , the tubing is fed through the frame. If I am to replace the brakes is it a case of disconnecting at either end - reconnecting the new brakes and bleeding them or........would I have to painstakingly feed the new set through (admittedly not having a scooby where to start for this).

Many questions but hopefully there's someone around to pass on such wisdom....
As usual all thoughts/advice/suggests are more than welcome

Cheers
Sam

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Threevok

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to change the hoses - especially when switching from Avid to Shimano - as Avids use DOT fluid - Shimano use mineral Oil

Speaking as an E1 owner myself - I would bin them and switch to something else. They are OK but a pain to bleed and maintain

SBenny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pal. To be fair the £80 odd to sort the rear on outdated E1s which like you say are a pain to bleed etc. I've gone with getting some XTs. Mineral oil seems not a bad way to go.

Sam

Threevok

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBenny wrote:
Hi pal. To be fair the £80 odd to sort the rear on outdated E1s which like you say are a pain to bleed etc. I've gone with getting some XTs. Mineral oil seems not a bad way to go.

Sam

Good choice.

I couldn't afford XT's on my new build (keeping the costs down) so I went for the LX treking brake for the moment,

But when I do upgrade to XT's you can bet the LX's will be replacing the E1's on the GT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: