What brakes to upgrade to?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: What brakes to upgrade to? Reply with quote

I am currently running Shimano M615's on my specialized stumpjumper 650b, but have come to dislike and mistrust them. Not a fan of how they feel or perform.
I don't really want to spend over about £150, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Kyran

Swinley Forest
Thetford Forest
Sherwood Pines
Coed Y Brenin
Whinlatter
Glentress

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
SteveG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What brakes to upgrade to? Reply with quote

KJP wrote:
I am currently running Shimano M615's on my specialized stumpjumper 650b, but have come to dislike and mistrust them. Not a fan of how they feel or perform.
I don't really want to spend over about £150, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Kyran

You could get a set of Shimano XT from CRC for your money, though if you can can upgrade rotor size will have the biggest effect/bang for your buck
crom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's modulation you are after, sram guide brakes. Loads of stopping power and modulation. I always found shimano bite to quick and they cook the fluid way to easy. Will never go back to shimano. After all, one billion cars running dot fluid cannot be wrong.
Magnus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crom wrote:
If it's modulation you are after, sram guide brakes. Loads of stopping power and modulation. I always found shimano bite to quick and they cook the fluid way to easy. Will never go back to shimano. After all, one billion cars running dot fluid cannot be wrong.

+ 1 for dot fluid. far easier to get hold of.

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
SteveG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest SRAM RSC guides are my choice when i'm flush ...
KJP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help so far guys Smile

I've had a look at those options and the guides do seem really good, and following on from the Shimano XT's i've found out about Shimano Zee's which also seem like a good option.
Is anyone running these already and if so how are they?
They seem to be in the same quality category as the guides but are slightly cheaper, so just curios of experiences with them Smile

Also, does the dot fluid stand up to the temperatures better than the shimano mineral fluid? Are there any other differences between the two types?
Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I get the right ones.

Thanks

Swinley Forest
Thetford Forest
Sherwood Pines
Coed Y Brenin
Whinlatter
Glentress
crom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't hear of a racing cars using mineral oil. You will not have to buy finned brake pads for DOT 5.1 brakes, that was Shimano's answer to boiling the mineral fluid, hence the reason why you have to bleed them more often.

Also, that depends on how fast of a rider you are and how late of a braker you are. Horses for courses

Threevok

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my Avids jammed on - on two hot days this summer, just by leaning the bike against a wall in direct sunlight for a few minutes !!! Shocked

I've not had the problem since bleeding the dot 4 out though, in favour of 5.1 - plus I finally got around to shortening the hoses at the same time Laughing

I have Shimano's on the Virtue, so it will be interesting to see how they compare

martini henrie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same issue with the Avids on my Epic, I managed to scrounge a pair of Formula brakes to replace them...just waiting for a chance to test them out Rolling Eyes
SteveG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJP wrote:
Thanks for your help so far guys Smile

I've had a look at those options and the guides do seem really good, and following on from the Shimano XT's i've found out about Shimano Zee's which also seem like a good option.
Is anyone running these already and if so how are they?
They seem to be in the same quality category as the guides but are slightly cheaper, so just curios of experiences with them Smile

Also, does the dot fluid stand up to the temperatures better than the shimano mineral fluid? Are there any other differences between the two types?
Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I get the right ones.

Thanks

I've recently gotten new XT brakes and to be truly honest, im not impressed, I've bled them a few times and they never seem to be great, even different pads, larger rotors. I weigh close to 100kg so maybe my weight is too much. I'm no novice to the spanner as I'm mechanical maintenance technician, my biggest gripe with these is that you cannot strip them down.
SBenny

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveG wrote:

I've recently gotten new XT brakes and to be truly honest, im not impressed, I've bled them a few times and they never seem to be great, even different pads, larger rotors. I weigh close to 100kg so maybe my weight is too much. I'm no novice to the spanner as I'm mechanical maintenance technician, my biggest gripe with these is that you cannot strip them down.

Fills me with confidence! Rolling Eyes Just in the process of fitting XTs to my Whyte 629 which came stock Elixir 1s - admittedly should've shifted them a long time ago but things get in the way......as they do. Going upto 180 front rotor. Hoping they're a damn sight better than the E1s which I came to the other day seized to hell which was blatantly as a result of recent Costa Del Brit weather we've had here In the sunny capital.

Kajjal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest xt brakes are supposed to be very variable. The older m785 ones are very reliable and pretty much fit and forget. I am about 100kg.
Threevok

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you have bought yet, but Merlin cycles are selling SLX brakes for £119.99 a pair !!!! Shocked

and XT M785 Disc Brakes for £59.99 each

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: