MBR Demo Day, Forest of Dean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Attila



Joined: 15 May 2015
Posts: 417
Location: Forest of Dean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: MBR Demo Day, Forest of Dean Reply with quote

Yesterday I spent a seriously good day at the MBR Demo Day. The setup was absolutely superb, loads of manufacturers turned up and they all had plenty of lovely shiny bikes to ride. You got each bike for an hour and there was a nice red rooty loamy decent to give you a bit of a challenge. I managed to get an uplift pass on the day so i could hit the red decent and one of the many downhill trails at pedalabikeaway in the hours demo.

On my first loop i managed to take a wrong turn and got lost so i turned round and pedaled back to try and find where i went wrong. While I was riding back up the hill i saw another rider coming down so I flagged them down to ask if they new the way, it was only Tracey Mosley! She said she thought she knew the way and i was welcome to join her, happy days it's not every day you get to ride with a multiple world champion is it! Bugger me she is fast too, she was just cruising but i had to pull everything out of the bag to keep up.

Now for the bikes, my first ride was on a Whyte G160S. It's a great looking bike and fit really nicely too, the suspension action was nice. But as competent as it was there was no sparkle to it, it did everything you wanted but just didn't feel special. Maybe i needed more time to gel on it?

Next up was the Intense Primer Factory, all £8,700 of it! What a machine, if the Whyte was lacking sparkle then this certainly made up for it. It's a relatively short travel 29er and was dripping in bling, SRAM eagle, Fox 34's, carbon wheels etc. It accelerated like a maniac and had razor sharp handling, it rode like something with much more travel but without the lag from the suspension. It weighs 4/5 of bugger all so climbing was incredibly efficient too. I still managed to crash it though, got the front wheel jammed in some roots and went straight over the bars. Definitely my bike of the day!

Next was something completely different, the Canyon Sender. I'd not ridden a downhill bike for over 10 years so I wasn't sure what to expect. As i pedaled out of the centre i thought I'd made a huge mistake, it was heavy, slow handling and didn't seem to want to go anywhere when you stood on the pedals. As the trail started to get steeper it all started to make sense. The weight made it stable in the corners, the slow steering made higher speeds more manageable and the gearing started came into its own. On the proper downhill trails it was an absolute weapon, I've never been down Sheepskull (my favourite descent at fod) so fast, jumping off things I'd never consider on my other bikes. It was a lot of fun but i just don't do enough of that sort of riding to justify one.

Now for the most surprising bike of the day, the Cannondale Motera 130. I've never ridden an e-bike before and this is no normal e-bike! It's an enduro weapon with great suspension, plus size wheels wearing 2.8 wide Maxxis Minions and brilliant brakes. The assistance makes itself felt immediately on the flat helping to get you get up to speed quickly but the big surprise was how it handled downhill. The motor and battery are mounted as low as possible keeping the centre of gravity low and it was very manageable in the corners, dare I say it but lots of fun! The minions grip tenaciously too meaning you can really throw it around. I decided to pedal up instead of using the uplift and it was utterly hilarious, the push up track at fod is steep, ridable but properly steep and seems to go on for ever. Not on this bad boy, stick it in turbo and it flys up like you would not believe! I was giggling like an idiot all the way up. I get the point of ebikes now, in an hour on the bike i was just as tired on the dale but i did 2 laps quicker than with the uplift. It's a proper mountain bike on the descents but helps you go further and ride more. I'm not going to go out and buy one right now but when I get older it's definitely on the map...

The final bike i rode was a Kona Process 153. This thing is hilarious, it just wants to play! When you ride it you find yourself sliding in the corners, jumping off anything you can see and generally acting like a hooligan! It's brilliant fun, if you like to ride trail centres and do uplift days it would be the perfect bike.

In all it was a bloody brilliant day, i broke my e-bike duck, crashed, jumped, slid, giggled, rode with Tracey Mosley and generally had fun in gorgeous sunshine ☀️ Happy Rich!!!

_________________
It's not the big that eat the small, but the fast that eat the slow...

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner



Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 29327
Location: Under Whitestone-Cliffe on the Lake.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fantastic day was had. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm certainly leaning toward the E-bike as a future buy, probably a few years off yet but after viewing them in my local bike shop and considering the practicalities I think they offer an excellent alternative.

Very Happy

_________________
Your poison letter, your telegram, just goes to show you don't give a damn!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CarnaptiousB'Stard



Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 226
Location: Thorntonhall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: MBR Demo Day, Forest of Dean Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Yesterday I spent a seriously good day at the MBR Demo Day. The setup was absolutely superb, loads of manufacturers turned up and they all had plenty of lovely shiny bikes to ride. You got each bike for an hour and there was a nice red rooty loamy decent to give you a bit of a challenge. I managed to get an uplift pass on the day so i could hit the red decent and one of the many downhill trails at pedalabikeaway in the hours demo.

On my first loop i managed to take a wrong turn and got lost so i turned round and pedaled back to try and find where i went wrong. While I was riding back up the hill i saw another rider coming down so I flagged them down to ask if they new the way, it was only Tracey Mosley! She said she thought she knew the way and i was welcome to join her, happy days it's not every day you get to ride with a multiple world champion is it! Bugger me she is fast too, she was just cruising but i had to pull everything out of the bag to keep up.

Now for the bikes, my first ride was on a Whyte G160S. It's a great looking bike and fit really nicely too, the suspension action was nice. But as competent as it was there was no sparkle to it, it did everything you wanted but just didn't feel special. Maybe i needed more time to gel on it?

Next up was the Intense Primer Factory, all £8,700 of it! What a machine, if the Whyte was lacking sparkle then this certainly made up for it. It's a relatively short travel 29er and was dripping in bling, SRAM eagle, Fox 34's, carbon wheels etc. It accelerated like a maniac and had razor sharp handling, it rode like something with much more travel but without the lag from the suspension. It weighs 4/5 of bugger all so climbing was incredibly efficient too. I still managed to crash it though, got the front wheel jammed in some roots and went straight over the bars. Definitely my bike of the day!

Next was something completely different, the Canyon Sender. I'd not ridden a downhill bike for over 10 years so I wasn't sure what to expect. As i pedaled out of the centre i thought I'd made a huge mistake, it was heavy, slow handling and didn't seem to want to go anywhere when you stood on the pedals. As the trail started to get steeper it all started to make sense. The weight made it stable in the corners, the slow steering made higher speeds more manageable and the gearing started came into its own. On the proper downhill trails it was an absolute weapon, I've never been down Sheepskull (my favourite descent at fod) so fast, jumping off things I'd never consider on my other bikes. It was a lot of fun but i just don't do enough of that sort of riding to justify one.

Now for the most surprising bike of the day, the Cannondale Motera 130. I've never ridden an e-bike before and this is no normal e-bike! It's an enduro weapon with great suspension, plus size wheels wearing 2.8 wide Maxxis Minions and brilliant brakes. The assistance makes itself felt immediately on the flat helping to get you get up to speed quickly but the big surprise was how it handled downhill. The motor and battery are mounted as low as possible keeping the centre of gravity low and it was very manageable in the corners, dare I say it but lots of fun! The minions grip tenaciously too meaning you can really throw it around. I decided to pedal up instead of using the uplift and it was utterly hilarious, the push up track at fod is steep, ridable but properly steep and seems to go on for ever. Not on this bad boy, stick it in turbo and it flys up like you would not believe! I was giggling like an idiot all the way up. I get the point of ebikes now, in an hour on the bike i was just as tired on the dale but i did 2 laps quicker than with the uplift. It's a proper mountain bike on the descents but helps you go further and ride more. I'm not going to go out and buy one right now but when I get older it's definitely on the map...

The final bike i rode was a Kona Process 153. This thing is hilarious, it just wants to play! When you ride it you find yourself sliding in the corners, jumping off anything you can see and generally acting like a hooligan! It's brilliant fun, if you like to ride trail centres and do uplift days it would be the perfect bike.

In all it was a bloody brilliant day, i broke my e-bike duck, crashed, jumped, slid, giggled, rode with Tracey Mosley and generally had fun in gorgeous sunshine ☀️ Happy Rich!!!


Sorry,could you repeat that ?
















Razz

Seriously,sounds like you had a blast and I hope to do the same soon.

_________________
Dropper Posts Are For The Butt Hurt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sage



Joined: 10 Jan 2014
Posts: 411
Location: Mid Wales

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this at Pedal A Bike Away ?

If it was shame it wasn't on Sunday as I was there with the boy would of been nice to have a ride round looked some fantastic tracks there and it was rather a long way for us to get there.

I could of had a go in between pushing his bike to the top of the track and standing around waiting for race runs, mind he enjoyed his self.


_________________
That's My Boy Smile https://goingdownhillfastsite.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuPaReTrO



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 125
Location: Near sunderland

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an awesome day,I'm still seriously close to buying a turbo levo.i had one in the basket yesterday and so close to buying....ah damn conscience stopping me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Attila



Joined: 15 May 2015
Posts: 417
Location: Forest of Dean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:
Sounds like a fantastic day was had. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm certainly leaning toward the E-bike as a future buy, probably a few years off yet but after viewing them in my local bike shop and considering the practicalities I think they offer an excellent alternative.

Very Happy


I genuinely wanted to hate it, but riding one really did win me over. I can definitely see the point of them now!

CarnaptiousB'Stard wrote:

Sorry,could you repeat that ?

Razz

Seriously,sounds like you had a blast and I hope to do the same soon.


I did get a bit of a ramble on there! Laughing It was a great day though and I would recommend it to anyone.

sage wrote:
Was this at Pedal A Bike Away ?

If it was shame it wasn't on Sunday as I was there with the boy would of been nice to have a ride round looked some fantastic tracks there and it was rather a long way for us to get there.

I could of had a go in between pushing his bike to the top of the track and standing around waiting for race runs, mind he enjoyed his self.



The event village was a short ride away from Pedalabikeaway, the descents from the village ended up in the centre though, I saw that Corkscrew was taped off ready for the DH race on the sunday, I took the Kona down there for a giggle. How did your lad do?

SuPaReTrO wrote:
Sounds like an awesome day,I'm still seriously close to buying a turbo levo.i had one in the basket yesterday and so close to buying....ah damn conscience stopping me


Before you press the button give the Moterra a try, everyone on the day was saying it was more fun.

_________________
It's not the big that eat the small, but the fast that eat the slow...

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuPaReTrO



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 125
Location: Near sunderland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More fun ???? It's seriously fugly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Attila



Joined: 15 May 2015
Posts: 417
Location: Forest of Dean

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Levo definitely looks better for sure!

The Cannondale guys were saying that the big difference is the battery is bigger and is mounted lower, it gives it a lower centre of gravity helping with manoeuvrability and will power the bike for longer. Of course they were trying to sell them...

It's a lot of money to spend, I'd still recommend you take one for a spin and most dealers would let you take one out. The Scott E-Genius is supposed to be superb too...

_________________
It's not the big that eat the small, but the fast that eat the slow...

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuPaReTrO



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 125
Location: Near sunderland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the money is ridiculous and that's exactly what puts me off.id hate to think that 12months down the line it wasn't what I'd hoped
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuPaReTrO



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 125
Location: Near sunderland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I fake battery is 500wh where as the specialised can be used at 520wh,as for lower,??? Maybe an inch...which makes no difference,I e been assured lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doomanic



Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 547
Location: Evesham, Worcs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden a Levo FSR and whilst it's a very nice bike it's no enduro weapon. Given my 10 mile test ride, I could see it getting very out of shape if you let it run away from you. I'd need to ride one on more familiar terrain before committing £4k on it.
_________________
'96 Zaskar LE (now the wife's)
'98 Club Roost VCV (now the bro's)
'11 Camber FSR Comp (now the son's)
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pedro



Joined: 21 Mar 2014
Posts: 87
Location: Derbyshire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write-up. I was hoping to get to a demo day this year, but bought my latest bike earlier than expected.

When my knees can finally take no more uphill pedalling, I'll be looking at an e-bike for sure!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gunner



Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 29327
Location: Under Whitestone-Cliffe on the Lake.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedro wrote:


When my knees can finally take no more uphill pedalling, I'll be looking at an e-bike for sure!


Very well put. Wink

I'm suddenly aware that that day may come sooner rather than later, woke up this morning with unbelievable pain in the right knee for no apparent reason....... Confused Confused Confused

_________________
Your poison letter, your telegram, just goes to show you don't give a damn!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pedro



Joined: 21 Mar 2014
Posts: 87
Location: Derbyshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope its nothing serious there Gunner. I've had a couple of injuries in the past and my knees have never fully recovered. Age has a lot to do with that I think, unfortunately. Man I wish I was 21 all over again Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gunner



Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 29327
Location: Under Whitestone-Cliffe on the Lake.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knee was terrible this morning, jumped on the road bike for a fast, hard 30ish mile in a ruddy horrendous wind.

Knee was 10 times better when I got home and much, much better even now, and to think I was considering having a rest day as a result of it.......... Confused

_________________
Your poison letter, your telegram, just goes to show you don't give a damn!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum