My Stumpjumper Evo 29er
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpy's were and always will be better with 26" wheels.
Proper abuse bikes need a more robust wheel and that's what Stumpy's are.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Attila

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarnaptiousB'Stard wrote:

With respect, bo***cks...

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

With respect, bo***cks...

I love it when people can't admit to making monumental mistakes.
Either that or you don't ride anything trickier than over a big blancmange.
It's a nice bike for sure,don't get me wrong,but fucking up the geometry to crowbar big f*ck off wheels onto it has ruined the Stumpjumper iconic status.
If you ever rode one from the Nineties you would know what I'm driving st.
FWIW,I have.
I weep Surprised Surprised

Attila

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And i love it when people pass off an I'll informed opinion as fact...

Have you ridden a Stumpjumper 29er in anger? Clearly not as if you had you wouldn't have that opinion. Mistake? Hell no, this is the best bike I've ever owned! It's every bit as playful as the 26" wheeled version (yep i have spent a bit of time on one of those) but a lot more stable and controlled when it does get steep and technical. Probably because of the vastly improved modern geometry over 90's bikes more than the wheels...

Weep as much as you like, it won't make you right! Oh and the comment about tricky conditions is comical coming from someone who doesn't understand the benefits of a dropper post...

'14 Whyte 629
Doomanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Oh and the comment about tricky conditions is comical coming from someone who doesn't understand the benefits of a dropper post...

Laughing

'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ridden both sizes of wheel on a Stumpy,thus having that opinion.
I wouldn't give you a one sided opinion.I felt the handling that they are known for was taken away.
I'm not dissing your bike,just comparing the two over the years.Its a smashing looking bike no doubts.
Dropper Posts ,aaah my favourite bane.
Well,let's weigh up the Pros and Cons.
Pros - You can put your seat up and down from surprisingly enough your seat.
Cons - Extra expense
Extra weight
Extra maintenance
It doesn't make you go any faster.
'Bout covers it I think.
Have you ever wondered why companies were quite eager to start making 27.5 ?

CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomanic wrote:
Attila wrote:
Oh and the comment about tricky conditions is comical coming from someone who doesn't understand the benefits of a dropper post...

Laughing

Burn what exactly?

Attila

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly my apologies if my last post came across as arsey, I was having a bad day but I shouldn't have taken it out on here. Thank you for the complements.

I wouldn't give you a one sided opinion.I felt the handling that they are known for was taken away.
I'm not dissing your bike,just comparing the two over the years.Its a smashing looking bike no doubts.

But have you ridden a Stumpy 29er with the Evo geometry? Early 29ers were not good bikes, manufacturers mistakenly thought that they needed to steepen the head angle to counter the gyroscopic effects of the bigger wheels, yes they benefitted from the improved rollover and grip but they were nervous descenders and weren't fun bikes. that has all changed, more modern 29er bikes have longer top tubes with slacker head angles and shorter chainstays. They have gone a long way to solve the early issues and can be very playful bikes now. This particular model won MBR bike of the year (not the reason why I bought it but it was the reason why I decided to give one a demo), beating bikes like the YT Capra as an all rounder. I have raced Enduro and done a number of uplift days (I'm off to Bikepark Wales on Sunday again) on this bike and never thought I was under biked or wanted something 'more playful' at all, I'm off to the Alps this summer with it too.

Jared Graves chooses a Stumpjumper 29er over the 650b or either of the Enduros for certain rounds of the Enduro World Series, Tracey Mosely won 3 EWS titles on a 29er and even Ratboy Bryce is racing a Hightower in the EWS this year (and taking part in the whip off competition on it too!). 29ers aren't the bikes they used to be...

27.5 was introduced as people were resistant to big wheelers (due to the issues I stated above) but the benefits of a larger wheel (improved contact patch and rollover) can't be ignored. They don't quite have the benefits of a 29er (but are improved in certain ways over a 26" wheel) but have less gyroscopic effect which makes them more manoeuvrable on tighter tracks. My brother rides a Cube Stereo 160 with 27.5 wheels, in the tight stuff he pulls a gap on me, if it starts to open up a bit I'm faster than him. Horses for courses...

Cons - Extra expense
Extra weight
Extra maintenance
'Bout covers it I think.

You seem to have missed some pros there!
Putting your seat down allows you to lower your centre of gravity
It allows you to move around over the bike freely
It helps to gain more grip in corners
The improved weight shifting vastly improves control on steep and technical terrain
It allows you to use correct manual and bunny hop technique
It helps to climb over larger trail obstacles

All these benefits without compromising an efficient pedalling position and without having to stop to change your saddle height!

Yes you can stop to drop your saddle with a quick release, but it ruins the flow of a trail if you are always doing so. Going for a compromise on saddle position will always be that, a compromise, you will lose power when pedalling as you don't have the saddle high enough (and that can cause injuries and other problems too) and the saddle will not be out of the way enough to give you the benefits listed above.

Cons
Extra Expense? yes but justified for the benefits imo
Extra weight? I'm no XC racer so weight isn't a massive concern for me (but even XC world cup racers are embracing them now), the weight difference between a straight post and a dropper is about the same as having a good poo...
Extra maintenance? They aren't exactly complicated, a service once a year is something anyone with half a brain could do in a shed. If you get your bike serviced by a shop then it would cost you a few extra quid.
It doesn't make you go any faster? Er no, in the same way grippier tyres or better brakes will not make you go any faster until you adjust your riding technique to take advantage of the benefits they bring. Just having a dropper will not make you faster, learning to use it properly, to take advantage of the benefits it brings will make you faster, smoother and help keep control in trickier riding situations.

'14 Whyte 629
bonzo-b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made up my mind, i ain't wasting no more time..... so here i go again
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Firstly my apologies if my last post came across as arsey, I was having a bad day but I shouldn't have taken it out on here. Thank you for the complements.

But have you ridden a Stumpy 29er with the Evo geometry? Early 29ers were not good bikes, manufacturers mistakenly thought that they needed to steepen the head angle to counter the gyroscopic effects of the bigger wheels, yes they benefitted from the improved rollover and grip but they were nervous descenders and weren't fun bikes. that has all changed, more modern 29er bikes have longer top tubes with slacker head angles and shorter chainstays. They have gone a long way to solve the early issues and can be very playful bikes now. This particular model won MBR bike of the year (not the reason why I bought it but it was the reason why I decided to give one a demo), beating bikes like the YT Capra as an all rounder. I have raced Enduro and done a number of uplift days (I'm off to Bikepark Wales on Sunday again) on this bike and never thought I was under biked or wanted something 'more playful' at all, I'm off to the Alps this summer with it too.

Jared Graves chooses a Stumpjumper 29er over the 650b or either of the Enduros for certain rounds of the Enduro World Series, Tracey Mosely won 3 EWS titles on a 29er and even Ratboy Bryce is racing a Hightower in the EWS this year (and taking part in the whip off competition on it too!). 29ers aren't the bikes they used to be...

27.5 was introduced as people were resistant to big wheelers (due to the issues I stated above) but the benefits of a larger wheel (improved contact patch and rollover) can't be ignored. They don't quite have the benefits of a 29er (but are improved in certain ways over a 26" wheel) but have less gyroscopic effect which makes them more manoeuvrable on tighter tracks. My brother rides a Cube Stereo 160 with 27.5 wheels, in the tight stuff he pulls a gap on me, if it starts to open up a bit I'm faster than him. Horses for courses...

Cons - Extra expense
Extra weight
Extra maintenance
'Bout covers it I think.

You seem to have missed some pros there!
Putting your seat down allows you to lower your centre of gravity
It allows you to move around over the bike freely
It helps to gain more grip in corners
The improved weight shifting vastly improves control on steep and technical terrain
It allows you to use correct manual and bunny hop technique
It helps to climb over larger trail obstacles

All these benefits without compromising an efficient pedalling position and without having to stop to change your saddle height!

Yes you can stop to drop your saddle with a quick release, but it ruins the flow of a trail if you are always doing so. Going for a compromise on saddle position will always be that, a compromise, you will lose power when pedalling as you don't have the saddle high enough (and that can cause injuries and other problems too) and the saddle will not be out of the way enough to give you the benefits listed above.

Cons
Extra Expense? yes but justified for the benefits imo
Extra weight? I'm no XC racer so weight isn't a massive concern for me (but even XC world cup racers are embracing them now), the weight difference between a straight post and a dropper is about the same as having a good poo...
Extra maintenance? They aren't exactly complicated, a service once a year is something anyone with half a brain could do in a shed. If you get your bike serviced by a shop then it would cost you a few extra quid.
It doesn't make you go any faster? Er no, in the same way grippier tyres or better brakes will not make you go any faster until you adjust your riding technique to take advantage of the benefits they bring. Just having a dropper will not make you faster, learning to use it properly, to take advantage of the benefits it brings will make you faster, smoother and help keep control in trickier riding situations.

Firstly I didn't think you were being arsey,just defending your bike.
Secondly no I have not ridden a post 2012 Stumpjumper.Pre yes I have but I'm pretty sure not the Evo.FSR Comp I think but not the Evo
Thirdly.......I'm not buying your sales talk for DP's .......
It's my last word on them actually .
Maybe one day I will test the New Gen 29ers and come to a whole new opinion.
Stranger things have happened
Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: