Thought I'd record myself pulling a Deadlift.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPX309

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Thought I'd record myself pulling a Deadlift. Reply with quote

Unfortunately the camera angle isn't the best. I'll talk you through my set up though. . . .

1. Approach the bar so the bar is over the centre of my feet (shins roughly an inch and a half away from the bar (this may vary pending on people's body composition. Toes also slightly pointed outwards might help some people)

2. If you're wondering about how wide apart your feet should be, a good base point is, to imagine you're getting ready to jump as high as you can from a standing start. I personally like to have my feet a little wider than that again but again personal preference (I might say this alot)

3. Arms close to the legs, mine are just brushing against my legs.
You want the distance between your shoulders and the bar to be as short as possible, so a straight line vertical is ideal

4. Scapular needs to be over the bar. So if you were to draw a straight line from the bar up your body, your shoulders will be slightly infront of the bar and your scapular inline with the bar.

5. Bring your shins to the bar, and then place tension on the hamstrings.
Do not roll the bar to you. You may see Eddie Hall and Rob Shaw and the likes roll the bar to them.
The reason they do this is because a weight in motion is easier to lift.
Their bodies act as a counter weight. This takes an incredible amount of timing and skill to achieve and helps if you weigh over 350lbs.

6. Keeping a neutral I raise my hips to the point I can feel tension on the hamstrings and glutes and then pull the slack out of the bar, pulling the bar in towards my shins.

7. (This part is really the only part you can see in the video due to my poor camera angle skills)
I twist my elbows in towards my torso (or tuck them in) to engage the lats, and chest. keeping these tight will strengthen your lift.
Also I do this to pull the slack out the bar. Very important.

8. Now depending on how comfortable you are, you can either perform this at the top before you get into posture or as I am here at the bottom.
I breathe in and tense my core (like I'm about to anticipate a punch to the stomach.

Ok the following points are just key things that will help any deadlift.
But when lifting the bar off the ground, don't think about pulling the bar up, think about pushing the floor away from you. Like you're pushing your feet through the floor, and your grip on the bar is what's taking the bar with you.

When you drag the bar up, there should be no daylight between the bar and your body. The bar needs to move in a straight line vertically.

And this is something I need to work on myself, it's the lockout. When you get somewhere around the knee point (either above or below the knee pending on your body composition) you'll want to thrust your hips forward into the bar, but don't over extend. . . Again I'll repeat, this is something I also need to work on. Rack pulls and bent over rows might be a good accessory exercise to help with the lockout.

In terms of footwear, something like a dedicated deadlift slipper, or barefoot, or Something with a hardsole like chuck taylors. Try to avoid running shoes.

VIDEO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQFXl367MPE&feature=youtu.be

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, well done. Very Happy
Doomanic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How heavy was that lift?
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race
MPX309

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomanic wrote:
How heavy was that lift?

100KG Exluding the bar, @ 147 lbs bodyweight

still beginner weight really, but I'm still practising

Thanks Gunner

Doomanic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good lift none the less.

I peaked at 5 reps of 165Kg a couple of years ago when I was going to the gym a lot, but I've got 100lbs on you easily. I really ought to get back to it.

I used Stronglifts 5x5 on my phone, seemed to work well for me.

'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race
MPX309

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomanic wrote:
That's a good lift none the less.

I peaked at 5 reps of 165Kg a couple of years ago when I was going to the gym a lot, but I've got 100lbs on you easily. I really ought to get back to it.

I used Stronglifts 5x5 on my phone, seemed to work well for me.

thanks mate. was thinking about recording my squat with barbell but keep taking too much preworkout n cant stop shaking like a junkie Very Happy Very Happy

Nik Gnashers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done MPX, good form there bud !

I have learned over the years, it's not really the weight that matters, it's the form.
Used to lift a lot heavier, but always seemed to be injured lol, now I lift a lot lighter, do more reps, and concentrate on good form. No injuries for a while now yay !

MPX309

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nik Gnashers wrote:
Well done MPX, good form there bud !

I have learned over the years, it's not really the weight that matters, it's the form.
Used to lift a lot heavier, but always seemed to be injured lol, now I lift a lot lighter, do more reps, and concentrate on good form. No injuries for a while now yay !

Yes mate. I must say this isn't a PB for me, I have lifted 110, and could probably push to 120, but, as you say, form is key, and I guess it depends what sort of style of training you want to do. I target Hypertrophy mainly, with some compound lifts that aren't super heavy.

Stretching and squeezing the muscle is more important to me than moving the most amount of weight, and for that to be effective it might mean dialling back the plates/KG.

For example my side lateral raises, I'll do a "heavy" set of 8KG, and then a strict set at 6. and a burn set to failure at 4.

Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Stretching and squeezing the muscle is more important to me than moving the most amount of weight, and for that to be effective it might mean dialling back the plates/KG.

Well said Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: