Your ride today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 494, 495, 496  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunner

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to have seen that "General", and had a photo next to it too.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:
Would love to have seen that "General", and had a photo next to it too.

There's quite a few still around

This lives in the Wakefield area, or did......

Not the same one, as far as I know

Motoring. Dodge. Charger. EUG 494F. 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  850.1 KB
 Viewed:  1964 Time(s)

Motoring. Dodge. Charger. EUG 494F. 2.JPG

Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday 19th

A wet, dull, intermittently raining day
However, a day-off, so out I went Rolling Eyes

Under the M62 (jct 31), slightly greasy due to spilt diesel - there's a truckstop down there, on the industrial estate, where a lot of drivers fill up

Up towards Castleford, passing the delightful (& famous amongst architects) 'Voysey Row' & 'Rising Sun'
http://www.diggerland.com/days-out-in-yorkshire/
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3856341

Past the site of the old Mining College (now demolished, & full of 'identikit' houses)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1048153

Through Castleford, over the level-crossing on Albion Street, past the bus station (more diesel), down past the site of the Roman encampment, (where they crossed the River Aire)
Over 'Hartleys Bridge'
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/873936

Over the Canal, now onto Barnsdale Road, essentially a continuation of the road that left the 'Great North Road' (A1) at Barnsdale Bar; just north of Doncaster
(this road has been excavated further up, where it is called 'Roman Ridge Road', to confirm that very name, as it's their route to Tadcaster (i]Calcaria[/i] )

Up, Mary Pannell Hill

Straight over the junction with Back Newton Lane, & LongDike Lane
Past Ledston Luck colliery (with the Winding house remaining)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/65357

Lots of HGV traffic on this road, & I got a good soaking, with spray & road-filth Very Happy

A right turn, onto the A63, at Peckfield Bar - the name giving a clue to its former life, when this (A63) was the Leeds-Selby TurnPike
see attached photo from previous ride

More HGV traffic, as this is a designated route to the A1
We join the 'old' A1, southbound, for a while, at 'Boot & Shoe Junction'
(if we'd turned north, onto a 'local road', we'd have been on the 'Great North Road', as normal road, as it passed through Micklefield)

Turning east (left) before Selby Fork, we can almost see the café-stop
The traffic has all but gone, all that can be heard is the tractors on the land

Arrival at Squires, brings a surprising lack of motor-bikes... 3 Shocked
Plenty of cars/vans though
I walk in, dripping water Embarassed

As I wrote hERE, I tried their new dessert; 'Sticky Chocolate Orange Cake'
Think of a cake, that's the consistency of Sticky Toffee Pudding Very Happy

Home was via Gorse Lane, the back of South Milford, past Steeton Hall Gate House
see attached photo from previous ride)

Through Lumby - with the intention of heading over Rawfield Lane, to Fairburn
However.............. National Grid were re-cabling from the b-i-g Sub-Station, so the Lane was closed
Hence it was back on the A63, with the trucks, over the roundabout at the 'new' A1, & back onto the 'old' A1 to Fairburn
Even that's odd now, as it's being singled, & the torn-up tarmac simply dumped on the verges
At Fairburn village itself, the original 'GNR' still runs down the side of the houses, but the A1, is at this point a single-carriageway too
It did have an overbridge, at this point, & a footbridge to the other side of the village
Now there's a roundabout
Original 'GNR' to the right (looking south)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/20678

Home via FerryBridge (another very famous place on the 'Great North Road'), past the Power-Station, then a long draggy road to Glasshoughton

The route; https://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4546905.html

Hope it entertained/was informative??

Photos aren't in any particular order

Rides. Steeton Hall. 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  872.18 KB
 Viewed:  1884 Time(s)

Rides. Steeton Hall. 1.JPG

North Yorkshire Scenes. South Milford. Milestone. 1.JPG
 Description:
Not far from the junction with the 'Tadcaster TurnPike' (A162), but it carries the same name, by the A63
 Filesize:  791.12 KB

North Yorkshire Scenes. South Milford. Milestone. 1.JPG

Road-Trip. 14.jpg
 Description:
Glorious!!!
 Filesize:  77.02 KB

Road-Trip. 14.jpg

Road-Trip. 13.jpg
 Description:
Three, I ask you!!
Fair weather bikers!!!
 Filesize:  76.04 KB

Road-Trip. 13.jpg

Last edited by Richard A Thackeray on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Gunner

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you Richard, I want that ruddy cake. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:
Damn you Richard, I want that ruddy cake. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Sadly there wasn't any today. when I rode across, to meet my buddy Olivia (one of ex A&E Nurses) up there
With it being a nice, sunny day, I took the Gran Fondo (& shorts/short-sleeves)

Thankfully, she's as bonkers as ever Very Happy

Sadly, the hair has changed colour since this picture (February 2017)

The GF picture is from a previous ride there too (April 2016

Rides. Squires 2. 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.02 KB
 Viewed:  1866 Time(s)

Rides. Squires 2. 2.jpg

16996449_10210813374042702_6825499145595875134_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.33 KB
 Viewed:  1866 Time(s)

16996449_10210813374042702_6825499145595875134_n.jpg

Mustard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of times each summer I pick a fine sunny day with light winds, for a favourite 100+ miler to Whitby and back. Nothing great, but just for the joy of riding. Last wednesday was such a day.

Living in the vale of York I always set out at 3.30 AM to use the mainly traffic free (just some lorries) main roads. A 19 to Tontine, then to Stokesley, Guisbrough, and over the moors to Sandsend and Whitby.

What I like is that sense of lone adventure as you leave the street lights of the deserted roads of home, and shoot out into and through the cold dark rush of air in the deserted countryside. It's that great adventure feeling of man and self propelled purring machine, alone in the world. (Well, we can all imagine, can't we!)

The advantage of setting out in the middle of the night is that it divedes the day, and journey, into two distinct halves. On reaching Whitby after 50 miles, at around 7 in the morning, with the sun working it's warming magic, and the rest of the world coming to life, it's great to just sit on the cliff top bench and say hi to all the early morning doggy walkers, while knoshing a sandwich from the just open Cost Cutters store, before tooling back up for the ride home.

And that. to me. is THE magical moment, just setting off, with all day to come, on the Egton, Glaisdale, Castleton hilly moor route, with a now hot sun (well warm, anyway) and no need to rush, just to savour it. Each mile is a mile nearer home, as they say, and it's as if the ride out hadn't really happened, and you are just really starting out!

Once past all the climbing parts and back towards Stokesley (quick stop at Co-Op for sandwich) it's a nice flattish meander route to Craythorne, the back roads Rountons, and to Northallerton, and the last leg on and back home, 108 miles all by early afternoon. Now what's not to like about it!

Oh, and the new bike doesn't do it much quicker, but it's far nicer to ride! I very much like it!
Mustard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. That incredible French cyclist Robert Marchand is STILL breaking records (special category set up just for him) at the age of 105! In January he covered a distance of 22 k in an hour.

It always amuses me to hear some folk 'going on' about how they are getting past it in their 40's, and even in their 30's. Obviously performance decreases with age - was ever thus, but that has nothing whatever to do with drive and enthusiasm!

Compared to Robert, I, and my friends, are mere youngsters at coming up 80, and his example fires up our determination to really enjoy, and make the most of what we have been blessed with. It's not what we are losing, but what we still have left to come that is our motivation.

They don't tell us how long he takes, at his great age, to recover after these strenuous events, but I expect it must take a few weeks, as compared to a day or two for our age group. But he DOES recover, and always wants more!

Thank you Mr. Marchand. Your legend is secure!
Gunner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Mustard. Very Happy

A cracking way to get to Whitby, and a great way to ride home Very Happy

I too have done the early morning ride to Whitby but just from the 'Boro, great to be sat up on the West Cliff at 0600 hrs watching the waves then riding along the Esk Valley doing those climbs before the temperatures soar.

Mustard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy macaroni!

Was on the verge of a catastrophic blood and guts scattering explosion from pent up energy, so had to ride today. But what a day!

Did the anti-clockwise Bransdale circuit in a full blown gale (and then some) over the open moor tops. Apart from constantly trying to hurl both myself and bike clean off the sides of the road, it was quite enjoyable when from dead ahead. Flat roads were almost the equivalent of steep bottom gear climbs (same slow speed), and on the uphill sections it was head down low gear grind staring at the ground just a few feet ahead. But it seemed quite satisfying in a suffering kind of way. Almost as though you were gaining some kind of reward. (getting there before tomorrow I imagine.)

On the drop down into the more sheltered dale i met the usual bunch of idiots. A load of gormless sheep standing in the road! What is it about these stupid animals, and why did they all have to scarper off full tilt along the road in front of me, ignoring all the side turnings? Even worse, they were gathering up others along the road side until there was a stampede!!!

Is there anything dafter, looked at from behind, than a herd of galloping balls of wool each with four knitting needle like skinny legs going sixty to the dozen! Fortunately, a track went straight on ahead, and so did they, only to all crash up against a closed gate, all falling all over the shop. But I was off down the bend in the road, so not my problem!

On the way back up and out of the dale the viscious wind gusts were from side/behind, so it wasn't safe to belt down any hills. Bikes may be aero, but the wind doesn't seem to care about that. It hurls them about.

But I admit it was a good fun day, even though it took me over 30 mins longer on the 26 mile ride than normal. (And it wasn't really the sheep that held me up - they were running as fast as I could pedal on that stretch of road!)
Robmet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After finally getting over my bout of pneumonia which has had me ruined for about 8 weeks I decided to test the legs and enter a local crit.

My first one of the year, conditions were pretty rough being both windy and showers but undeterred I pinned on my number and lined up with some pretty mean looking cat3 competition.

The first 50% was a harsh lesson in digging way to deep just to hang on as we were averaging around 26-27mph, plenty got shelled out the back but my elastic was still keeping me in touch with the group. Then it was a case of just acting tough and staying in the mix, the legs were okay but the lungs felt understandably tight. Fitness wise I think i was doing okay but lacking the top end speed I seem to remember having last year, not going to worry about it too much.

The speed kicked again in the last couple of laps but I stuck with the bunch and finished just outside the points, i'm okay with that given the high pace, awful conditions and coming back from illness.

Woke up this morning with an alarming amount of grit coming out of my eyes, can't beat racing in the rain. Rolling Eyes
Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for managing that after an illness like that is all I can say. Wink
Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out with a few of Wakefield Triathlon Club this morning
A slow/steady ride, as a few were new(ish) to road-riding, & one was getting used to a new road-bike (she'd been MTB mounted before)

6 girls, 3 guys (including me)

From Castleford, via Lock Lane, Barnsdale Road, onto Newton Lane, into Fairburn
Over the 'old' A1 (rebranded as the A1246, at that point)
Lunnfield Lane, to the awkward junction, with the Tadcaster Turn-Pike (A162), at Burton Salmon railway bridge
We rode west - to - east, on the 'out'
http://www.geograph.org.uk/showmap.php?gridref=SE48662775

Through Hillam, & along the Hillam Common Lane (as used in Stage 2 of the 2016 Tour de Yorkshire), then Roe Lane, to Birkin Fisheries Café
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1621667

Which was very busy..............
Selby CC, Calder Clarion, were seemingly the two most subscribed clubs in attendance

Back the same way, with a headwind

Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had intended simply meeting up with a few of Wakefield Triathlon Club this morning, & help out on their beginners/'improvers' ride, before peeling off, to go up to Roman Ridge Road, to see 60103 'Flying Scotsman' come past, on a charter run

WTC plan was; Castleford > Barnsdale Road > Allerton Bywater cross-roads > Newton Lane > Fairburn village > over 'old A1 > Lunnfield Lane > Burton Salmon > Hillam > Birkin Café

But.... my own Club was departing from nearby (by Bridge Motorcycles), & they passed us on Lock Lane, at a fair lick as I was sat at the back, so I left ours, & jumped across the 200 yards to join 'FRC'
They were rolling along at a nice speed, along Barnsdale Road (A656), so I stayed, I did expect a charge up 'Mary Pannall', but no, as they turned off at the top towards Kippax

I carried on, past the remains of Ledston Luck colliery, passing over the roundabout at Peckfield Bar, where the (A63) Leeds - Selby turnpike intersects it (as some of the mileposts have it named on them!)

Coming to Roman Ridge Bridge, there was 5 others there, already waiting
It was about 10 minutes late, so after smelling the steam & hot oil one last time, back on the bike
Up slightly further along Ridge Road, turn right into Micklefield, to get onto the old Great North Road

Back south, along this famous route, rejoining the dual-carriagewayed (old) A1, at 'Boot & Shoe' junction (now just a roundabout, not the flyover, for southbound traffic - but the embankment is still there!!)
Down the A1, to Selby Fork, as it was known, when the A63, quite literally was that, as it left the A1

Over the new A1, & onto the A63
Over the 'Tadcaster Turnpike' (A162 Brotherton - Tadcaster), & into Monk Fryston, passing the gorgeous Hall, & the thatched cottage on the corner

Right turn, onto Water Hill, towards the back lanes & Birkin
A bit of effort, as I knew that I'd possibly intersect with WTC, at some point after the Cross Keys in middle of Hillam

I'd keep seeing odd riders in front, & managed to catch/pass a couple. but no group
However, just as I got into the village, I caught them, just as they turned off Roe Lane, onto Haddlesey Road
Felt quite pleased with myself, even though they were a slower group, as I'd gone a lot further, & waited a while at the bridge

A very busy café, with a lot of Clubs represented;
Barnsley Road Club
Ravensthorpe CC
Knottingley Velo
etc.....
even, one rider from my own Club!

I left them eating cake, & headed off, via Birkin Lane, towards Byram & Knottingley
Down the 'old' A1, to the Knottingley-Pontefract- Wakefield road (A645)
Through Pontefract, with that appalingly surfaced little drag, near PGI, into Featherstone

Off at Streethouse, through there, & onto the wonderfully named Hell Lane!
(used as part of the route of a Wakefield CC road-race)

Onto the 'conservation village' of Heath, as there was a classic car (& bus) show there
http://www.heathresidentsassociation.co.uk/

Then back home, in time for a bottle of SuperMalt Very Happy

BR. 601013. 3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  679.69 KB
 Viewed:  1378 Time(s)

BR. 601013. 3.JPG

Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shot, Richard. Very Happy
Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few rides over the past few days (been on Annual-Leave, first day was Sunday 15th, back to work on Tuesday 25th)

All illustrative photographs were taken previously

Sunday

Out with a few of Wakefield Triathlon Club (mixed male/female group)
Sarah was leading, this was (their gradings) a 'level 2'
Level 4 is a serious 'full bore'/'no mercy' ride (I've ridden hilly 'level 3' with no worries)

From Pugneys (near jct39/M1, WTC use it for their swim training/run laps of lake
http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/residents/sport-and-leisure/pugneys-waters ports-centre-and-country-park

Down towards the m/way, then off at the first roundabout, left into Crigglestone
Up Bolton Wife Hill (a sharp little 1-in-5 zig-zag)
The long drag, up to the top of Woolley Edge (overlooking the service station on M1)
Along the top of the valley, towards Staincross Common, then down through a new housing estate, built where Woolley Colliery used to be

Dropping down through the estate, then into Darton, crossing over the A637, into Kexbrough
And a long, very gradual, climb to High Hoyland

Through the village, & the lane towards Clayton West

At the next junction, as we stopped to regroup, & they headed towards a café at Shelley, I split off, to head in a different direction

Down into Clayton West, under the railway bridge, now only carrying the http://www.kirkleeslightrailway.com/ (the 'Beat Badger' line)

A left turn, up Kiln Lane, towards Emley, passing very close to the TV mast that is in the village
Out to meet the A642 (Wakefield - Huddersfield road)
Towards Kirkheaton, with a turn to Upper Hopton, past the gorgeous Hopton Hall Photo - see below
History; http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/271431

Dropping down the wonderfully named Granny Lane, towards Ravensthorpe
(their 'CC' is one of the oldest clubs in the Country)
Back over the River Calder again, to pass the Station, then towards Thornhill Lees
A gradual climb, & twisty section, before dropping to Horbury Bridge (passing the local branch of the 'Go Outdoors' chain)

Then, a steady ride back along the A642, into Wakefield, over Chantry Bridge (site of one of only 4 remaining 'bridge chapels' in the country)
Photo - see below

Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, also saw rides

Today

After a chat with Gail last night (same running club, & a fairly decent 'club level' triathlete, in 'WTC'

Met at her house, circa 10:30
Out towards jct 31/M62, under that
Past 'DiggerLand'
Up to Whitwood roundabout - where there was the 'Mining College'
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1048153

Into Castleford, over the level-crossing
Down to the river, passing the site of the Roman fording point
Over the river bridge, onto Barnsdale Road (which is a Roman road, that originates, from leaving the Great North Road, at Barnsdale Bar (between Doncaster & Ferrybridge)

Up 'Mary Pannall Hill', turning right at the top, onto Back Newton Lane, towards Ledsham

Once in Ledsham, a left-turn, opposite 'The Chequers' up New Road, towards the (old) A1
Oddly it only had a '6 day licence'!! - story here; http://thechequersinn.com/history/
Ledsham also has a 1200 year old Church (in parts....)
PHOTO - see below

A call at http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/index.asp for a chat & 'brew'

Back over Gorse Lane, on a quiet, but windswept road
Through Lumby, & back to Fairburn, crossing the 'old' !A1 (now 'singled')

Along Newton Lane, past the Ings (standing waters, due to mining subsidence

And into Castleford, back home via same route

Out this way, joining the route at about 1/2 mile, from Gails; https://gb.mapometer.com/running/route_1710389.html

back with way, leaving it at the 1/2mile mark; https://gb.mapometer.com/running/route_1628158.html

156519_3601022636497_1537477243_n.jpg
 Description:
Hopton Hall
 Filesize:  79.18 KB
 Viewed:  1195 Time(s)

156519_3601022636497_1537477243_n.jpg

Chantry Chapel. 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.01 KB
 Viewed:  1200 Time(s)

Chantry Chapel. 2.jpg

Rides. Snow. 2.JPG
 Description:
Chequers
 Filesize:  886.84 KB

Rides. Snow. 2.JPG

North Yorkshire Scenes. Ledsham. All Saints Church. 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.84 KB

North Yorkshire Scenes. Ledsham. All Saints  Church. 1.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Road Bike Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 494, 495, 496  Next
Page 495 of 496

Jump to: