Accessory upgrades??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy1MTB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Accessory upgrades?? Reply with quote

Yooo,

I'm thinking of upgrading a couple things on my bike, larger cassette and drive chain, and maybe some hope brakes.. any advice on alternative brakes would be great if there's any with the same performance as the hopes without the £100+ price tag.

Would anyone recommend anything else for me? I ride around 17-20 miles around hamsterly doing most trails.

Cheers guys!
Tommy

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
KTM540

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be asking a little too much expecting Hope performance without Hope price's .. tho that's not to say there aren't some brilliant stoppers out there at decent prices .. also its almost as much about the pads as the brakes themselves .. for example, I think the XT M785 brakes are stunning for the money (until the Shimano pads "go off") .. so I swear by Nukeproof branded sintered pads now, which have transformed many a brake set for me to date Wink

I do like my brakes tho ... I've just fitted a set of Saints, with big rotors to the Mega, and they would stop my GSXR1000 I swear Twisted Evil

Tommy1MTB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank mate, I don't mind paying the price for good gear, not at all!.. I'm relatively new to the sport so not really in the know with the equipment yet, just after chatting to a few people whilst out they seem to be the way forward..

Really enjoying it, I've got a few holidays booked next year so just looking to make a few improvements Smile

Tommy

KTM540

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Smile , and yeah, brakes are a massive confidence booster as your experience urges you to go faster Twisted Evil

Hope is lovely stuff, and many swear by it, tho all I would say is, if you are spending Hope money, all the top makes have something in that price bracket, I went with Saint simply because I wanted the strongest brakes available for that money (and I couldn't find a single credible review that had a bad word about them) whereas there were a few gripes with Hopes I found .. and I'm 100% happy with them (should be at that price I know Confused )

Robmet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take shimano brakes over hope all day long.

Even the basic Deores with decent rotors and pads are plenty of brake for anyone.
MPX309

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robmet wrote:
I'd take shimano brakes over hope all day long.

Even the basic Deores with decent rotors and pads are plenty of brake for anyone.

Not sure I can agree with that. My LBS mechanic has a lot of problems with Shimano brakes. He is biased towards Hope though, so who knows what number of hope brakes have problems he's not sharing with haha.

crom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not all about stopping power. Modulation is key to a great set of brakes. I have mine setup so not to lock up, or very hard to. I have fewer crashes and less washouts now that I can scrub of a bit of speed.
KTM540

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crom wrote:
It is not all about stopping power. Modulation is key to a great set of brakes. I have mine setup so not to lock up, or very hard to. I have fewer crashes and less washouts now that I can scrub of a bit of speed.

I'm exactly the other way, more power the better Twisted Evil .. gives me a lot more confidence knowing I'm never quite on the limit of the braking power available, and have learned to modulate accordingly Wink

Most of the higher end set ups I've found have great feel and modulation anyway tho ... and those that might have a little less, usually have more adjustability, so win win for me Smile

crom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM540 wrote:
crom wrote:

I'm exactly the other way, more power the better Twisted Evil .. gives me a lot more confidence knowing I'm never quite on the limit of the braking power available, and have learned to modulate accordingly Wink

Most of the higher end set ups I've found have great feel and modulation anyway tho ... and those that might have a little less, usually have more adjustability, so win win for me Smile

I can see your point. Horses for courses.

Treehugger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered a set of Hope Tech 3 E$ brakes - so I'll soon find out for myself. they are lovely looking brakes and obviously the usual Hope build quality. Can't wait to see how they stack up against the current RS Guides I'm running.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: