The "C0ckup" Thread!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTM540

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: The "C0ckup" Thread! Reply with quote

I'm sure we have all got sh!t wrong to do with MTBing/cycling/bike maintenance .. I know I have Embarassed

So what ya gonna fess up to Very Happy

I've made a few poor decisions over the years with regard to purchase's and wasting money like I'm sure we all have at some point Laughing

A very disappointing c0ckup I made, was when upgrading the chainset on the Mega not long after getting it (about a month after getting it actually and still smarting from the 3k+ I'd just shelled out for it!!), with no prior experience with a GXP BB, I somehow managed to knock the sh!t out of the non drive side cup trying to "seat" the drive side with a mallet Mad Embarassed

Most recent, was a lesson I learned about a month ago .. and that was .. DONT spray "Jungle Strength" insect repellent straight onto an expensive MTB helmet ... Shocked Embarassed

20170908_193345.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.93 KB
 Viewed:  315 Time(s)

20170908_193345.jpg

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Buying two things with "Boardman" written on them in my case. Embarassed

A top of the range Boardman CX bike in one instance and a Boardman helmet in the other. Mistake in both cases.................... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Certainly learned my lesson there, stick with reputable bike brands.

ryansam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done the Mosquito spray thing on my new Bell super helmet,kept the Scottish midges off though😃
Bought a crank brothers stem,never used a torque wrench and f##ked the threads up,sent it back to crc,got a new one and f##ked the threads again😠😠.Stood there looking at it thinking you thick t##t😩😩

Orange Crush am
Forme Longcliffe 3.0
KTM540

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Buying two things with "Boardman" written on them in my case. Embarassed

A top of the range Boardman CX bike in one instance and a Boardman helmet in the other. Mistake in both cases.................... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Certainly learned my lesson there, stick with reputable bike brands.

There was a lotta hype about Boardman stuff a while back ... Laughing

KTM540

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryansam wrote:
Done the Mosquito spray thing on my new Bell super helmet,kept the Scottish midges off though😃
Bought a crank brothers stem,never used a torque wrench and f##ked the threads up,sent it back to crc,got a new one and f##ked the threads again😠😠.Stood there looking at it thinking you thick t##t😩😩

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mustard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a wire brush to scrape off dried mud from the rear tyre was my 'c*ck Up', and whacking down hard on a stubborn lump only to ram a wire spike through the tread, and puncture the tube. (The snapped off little wire spike took some finding, too!)

But I haven't made the 'c*ck Up' of going tubeless. I don't see how some of the claims add up. For instance, all you have to (it's said) if you puncture out on the trail, and it won't seal, is to fit a tube. Really?

Said tight fitting tubeless tyre which, if on for any length of time, will be well and truly gunged up on the rim would likely need a pitchfork to get it off. Then, it would need examining with a fine tooth comb AFTER completely scraping out all the old gunge just to be able to SEE the tyre carcass in order to remove all the old collected piercing bits (which did seal) before bunging in a tube. Then you'd have the joy of forcing that tyre back on the rim, without trapping and damaging the tube.

No way! I mean, supposing mine had been tubeless and I'd given it the frequent wire brush treatment, it would have had dozens of little b*****d wire bits poking through. In that case, if out on the trail, I'd simply have filled the inside with grass and and gungy mud and ridden on. It's a full suss bike anyway, and 29ers roll very well, you know! Laughing Laughing
KTM540

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mustard wrote:
Using a wire brush to scrape off dried mud from the rear tyre was my 'c*ck Up', and whacking down hard on a stubborn lump only to ram a wire spike through the tread, and puncture the tube. (The snapped off little wire spike took some finding, too!)

But I haven't made the 'c*ck Up' of going tubeless. I don't see how some of the claims add up. For instance, all you have to (it's said) if you puncture out on the trail, and it won't seal, is to fit a tube. Really?

Said tight fitting tubeless tyre which, if on for any length of time, will be well and truly gunged up on the rim would likely need a pitchfork to get it off. Then, it would need examining with a fine tooth comb AFTER completely scraping out all the old gunge just to be able to SEE the tyre carcass in order to remove all the old collected piercing bits (which did seal) before bunging in a tube. Then you'd have the joy of forcing that tyre back on the rim, without trapping and damaging the tube.

No way! I mean, supposing mine had been tubeless and I'd given it the frequent wire brush treatment, it would have had dozens of little b*****d wire bits poking through. In that case, if out on the trail, I'd simply have filled the inside with grass and and gungy mud and ridden on. It's a full suss bike anyway, and 29ers roll very well, you know! Laughing Laughing

Laughing ... gotta say, I'm with ya on the tubeless Wink

Threevok

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a cheap BSO while my commute bike was awaiting parts and tools for repair - only to find (after less than a week) that the BSO needed more repairs than my original bike
KTM540

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, just thought of another complete waste of money Laughing Embarassed

On holiday in Barmouth a couple years back, FINALLY talked the Mrs into going on a ride with me while there so took her bike with us (unused!) .. then realised I'd only packed my own helmet .. DOH! .. not to worry, I wanted an excuse to get a new lid, so said she could use mine, and I'd purchase another .. shot upto CYB and the only MTB specific lid that fit, and was the right colour (well, actually, I wanted black, but they only had white, which is close Shocked ) and it was well over priced cus I was buying from a trail centre, and a bit on the small side if I'm honest, and it had no insect mesh, oh, and it made me look like more of a mongtard than I usually do in an MTB lid ............... I'll take it! Very Happy

Think it cost me like 70-80 squid, and I think I wore it twice !!!! Shocked

Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Magnus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a very expensive road race bike that is to short in the wheel-base for my size 11 feet. So when i turn the steering my toes catch on the front wheel, even with the cleats on my shoes all the way forward Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Bike accelerates like a dog chasing a bitch on heat, but it wont go round corners. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
KTM540

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
So when i turn the steering my toes catch on the front wheel:

Images of "side show bob" ... Laughing

Magnus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to look him up on Google but Yeh just like that really Embarassed Embarassed

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
Treehugger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who thinks going tubeless has no benefits is obviously just out for bites.

Best thing bike related I ever did.
Mustard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Obviously just out for bites.' ???

Many of us non trail centre 'ordinary' mountain bikers have not gone tubeless because

a) we run sensible tyre pressures (34 ish) and very rarely puncture (apart from stabbing with wire brushes - NOT to be repeated) out in the remote wilds. (Last time about 4 years ago.)

b) we simply don't perceive that going tubeless would offer us any benefits for natural riding, but WOULD involve added problems, if running low tyre pressures, of 'burping' out air, along with harder removal and fitting, and need to top up sealing fluid at regular intervals. Running higher tyre pressures with tubes prevents pinch flats over jagged rocks, and there is no lack of grip for difficult climbs on a 29 er.

If you are delighted with going tubeless, and think it's the best thing you've ever done, then good for you. But you are wrong to infer that those of us who haven't gone tubeless have yet to see the light! Neither have some of us thrown away our 3 times 9 gearing and jumped on the one front ring and dinnerplate rear cog fashion band wagon, because we don't perceive any advantage over what we already have, to need to do so.

Horses for courses, as they say!
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following the crowd and buying Nobby Nics which were rank rotten on anything that was not dry.
Buying a Bianchi MTB because I thought they knew how to build a decent bike.
It was gone after 6 months.

Great to see up thread the penny has dropped on poor quality Boardman bikes.
Which were made worse by Halfords buying the brand outright.
Voodoo and Carrera being in the same stable and only slightly better than an Apollo.

Oh and a big shout out to Mustard for agreeing with me on the whole tubeless band wagon.
It's usually dropper posts that people talk about being the "game changer "
But tubeless falls nicely into the Room 101 category of "not necessary on an MTB"
Seen them ,done them and ditched them.
Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: