Oh dear, I bought a road bike.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Oh dear, I bought a road bike. Reply with quote

Well, I went and got me a road bike. I wanted to get some miles in over winter this year and thought I would give it a go on a road bike. I found this three year old bike that has never been ridden on.

The guy bought it new and never rode it one mile. He fell seriously ill right after he bought it and then spent three years in the garage.

Time to go talk to the parents. Embarassed

21586460_1377052012390551_5202346468846107795_o by Cromulus maximus, on Flickr

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Doomanic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club of reluctant roadies.
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
KTM540

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice (I spose Laughing ) ... ya wanna go 1x and stick a Mary on the front now Very Happy
Gunner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't beat Scott bikes. Nice. Wink
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not get miles in on an MTB ?
Just of a more muddy nature ?
There is a worrying trend of MTBers who think the only way to get fit is to get "road miles in ".
Why ?
And an even more worrying trend is they decide Road Biking requires less hassle and stick to riding on Tarmac.
You will get fitter riding your miles through the gloop and have more fun in doing so.
Nice bike though.

KTM540

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ this!

I did around 22miles last Saturday morning before the forecast rain hoofed it down, road, woodland, bridleway .. on a 26" full susser 1x10 with aggressive tyres and loved every minute Very Happy

I know you can do the same distance in about 10mins on a roady, but I bet I had more fun Wink

Doomanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I am quite enjoying mine but it's not a patch on the Nuke.
I bought it to avoid resenting the MTB for slamming out training miles. It's a toy and should be enjoyed as such.

'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Kajjal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need now is a Lycra speed suit and friends called Gideon and Dante to ride with you.

More seriously I found road biking helped my mountain biking especially up hill. I do it when the trails turn to sludge round here over the winter.
crom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kajjal wrote:
All you need now is a Lycra speed suit and friends called Gideon and Dante to ride with you.

More seriously I found road biking helped my mountain biking especially up hill. I do it when the trails turn to sludge round here over the winter.

Hit the nail right on the head. I keep my bikes in the house and have to clean them before bringing them indoors. The trails round here become unrideable in winter.

I got sick of coming home and cleaning off horrible crud while I freeze my hands off. The last few years I just stopped riding in the winter months. I couldn't be bothered with the rigmarole of cleaning them after every ride. Then comes spring, and I just hate how hard it is to climb again.

I like to travel all over the country to ride trails in the spring and summer, but the climbs can be brutal in some of those places. As you know, when your fitness is off you can't enjoy the downs if your legs are spent on the hill climbs.

This winter I plan to ride a lot of road to keep my fitness how I like it. They will be no lycra involved, I have plenty of winter mtb clothes for that. As for friends, no thanks. I have no tolerance for other peoples macho bull sh&t. I much prefer to ride solo and do my own thing.

Why don't you get an Ebike, they say. NO &ucking way. As long as this old body can walk and go to work, it can still ride under it's own steam. As far as I'm concerned, they are for the fat lazy, very old and people with a disability.

KTM540

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crom wrote:

Why don't you get an Ebike, they say. NO &ucking way. As long as this old body can walk and go to work, it can still ride under it's own steam. As far as I'm concerned, they are for the fat lazy, very old and people with a disability.

I've always been of the view, that if someone wants to mountain bike, but cant,wont,hasnt, put the work in to be able to do it the conventional way .. they hey, who the fook cares Smile

However, I was recently overtaken towards the top of a climb (that in itself isn't hard to do with me Laughing Embarassed ) but I was too knackered after the climb to stay with him on the single track Mad .. very frustrating, cus I was all over him for a 100-200yards, but then he just gained yard after yard and disappeared, leaving me just this side of cardiac arrest Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad

Doomanic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crom wrote:
Why don't you get an Ebike, they say... ...they are for the fat lazy, very old.

Awesome! Where do I sign up? 😂

'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Doomanic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM540 wrote:
However, I was recently overtaken towards the top of a climb (that in itself isn't hard to do with me Laughing Embarassed ) but I was too knackered after the climb to stay with him on the single track Mad .. very frustrating, cus I was all over him for a 100-200yards, but then he just gained yard after yard and disappeared, leaving me just this side of cardiac arrest Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad

eBike or regular?

'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
crom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM540 wrote:
crom wrote:

I've always been of the view, that if someone wants to mountain bike, but cant,wont,hasnt, put the work in to be able to do it the conventional way .. they hey, who the fook cares Smile

If you aren't competing in a race, why race some one on a leisure ride. You don't know where they stated from, how often he rides. Everyone is at different levels of fitness at different times of the year. Just do your thing and enjoy it. It

It certainly doesn't bother me if some one over takes me on any hill and I'm happy to sit behind some one on a hill climb if they are slower. In fact I will try and strike up a convo if they are inclined .

Egos and c*ck measuring are for race days.

KTM540

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crom wrote:
KTM540 wrote:
crom wrote:

If you aren't competing in a race, why race some one on a leisure ride. You don't know where they stated from, how often he rides. Everyone is at different levels of fitness at different times of the year. Just do your thing and enjoy it. It

It certainly doesn't bother me if some one over takes me on any hill and I'm happy to sit behind some one on a hill climb if they are slower. In fact I will try and strike up a convo if they are inclined .

Egos and c*ck measuring are for race days.

Just sayin really cus I usually ride alone, so nice to ride against someone else .. trust me to pick a feckin Ebike Laughing

I did however catch and overtake a couple of other spritely lads on a techy single track that day (CYB, Red) who had passed me on the climb .. not c0ck measuring, but it made me feel a bit better for being a "climbing mong" Laughing

Kajjal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crom wrote:
Kajjal wrote:

Hit the nail right on the head. I keep my bikes in the house and have to clean them before bringing them indoors. The trails round here become unrideable in winter.

I got sick of coming home and cleaning off horrible crud while I freeze my hands off. The last few years I just stopped riding in the winter months. I couldn't be bothered with the rigmarole of cleaning them after every ride. Then comes spring, and I just hate how hard it is to climb again.

I like to travel all over the country to ride trails in the spring and summer, but the climbs can be brutal in some of those places. As you know, when your fitness is off you can't enjoy the downs if your legs are spent on the hill climbs.

This winter I plan to ride a lot of road to keep my fitness how I like it. They will be no lycra involved, I have plenty of winter mtb clothes for that. As for friends, no thanks. I have no tolerance for other peoples macho bull sh&t. I much prefer to ride solo and do my own thing.

I find it makes a change and come spring when it dries out you are good to go. The only thing is watch out for ice and strong winds, no worth the risk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: