Help with Marzocchi xc600 fork
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOLDGPR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Help with Marzocchi xc600 fork Reply with quote

Duno if anybody out there has a Marzocchi which is the coil with air assist on it. I have got the 2007 xc 600 fork.

My problem is that i cant seem to get the right pressure to make the fork nice and smooth. There is a Positive Air chamber and a pre-load chamber the manual says 0-15 for the positive air chamber but cant find anything for the pre-load one.
Rolling Eyes
I am also finding that they rattle a lot Question when just riding on hardcore bridle ways or if your in a tractors footprint on a track it is like the headset is loose but have checked that and its not also get play when rocking back and forth on the legs duno if they just need tighting up but dont know how.

Just woundered if anybody knew before i bite the bullet and have to take them to the shop to get sorted.

G

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
matt.will

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My All Mountains have the air assist but (as far as I can tell) it isn't really for making the forks smooth as such (more for setting up the sag to your weight). The coil itself is the bit that makes them nice and smooth.

If the rattle and rocking isn't in your headset, and they're not very smooth, then it sounds like the forks aren't happy and could probably do with a service at the least? Take it to Bob Trotters and see what they say - they're pretty decent as mtb bikes shops in York go.
Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like the sound of the "play", that definetely needs checking out. I'd do what Matt say's and get them in for a service.

What is the recommended service period on these forks by the way and have you followed it Embarassed Embarassed

GOLDGPR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have only done about 300 miles in total so not due a service until between 50-100 hours so definatly not covered that sort of time.

Posted on bike radar and would seem that the pressures are tiny only 45 psi and i have been using a 300psi pump (thus not very accurate) and the rattle could be the springs or rebound.

Going to get a new pump(low pressure) and give the new settings a try. if no luck then will book them in.
matt.will

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Marzocchi xc600 fork Reply with quote

GOLDGPR wrote:
I am also finding that they rattle a lot

Perhaps a daft question, but are you sure it's not your brake pads that are rattling inside the calipers? I also run Hayes 9s and mine do just that (piston's got a bit stiff I think so it doesn't push out quite as it should). Took me a while to work out what the hell was rattling!
GOLDGPR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Matt will try that tonight, is there a solution if it is??

G
matt.will

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I've found, but I haven't tried very hard!
GOLDGPR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wounder if Copper Grease on the back of the pad plates would work just like on car calipers ? Or would rain contaminate the pad from the grease being washed out ?

Anybody know?

g
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: