New rear tyre
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: New rear tyre Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new rear tyre for my Voodoo Hoodoo. Current setup is a 27.5 x 2.25 Maxxis Ardent which has been okayish. Any recommendations for replacement? Mainly trail use with some road travelling inbetween venues.

Thanks

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Doomanic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why only "okayish"?

If you can explain what you don't like about them it will be easier to suggest alternatives.

'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vittoria are my choice of weapon usually ( but not at the moment),and I can't see past the Barzo model .
I have the older version of this under the guise of Geax Barro Mountain and it's a versatile tyre however you ride.Same tyre ,different name .
It's a mid softness compound so wear is not an issue but grip is excellent.
The only reason they are not on the bike just now is I got all old skool and bought Nokian Gazzaloddis which I have always wanted.
These days I'm only riding a trail with loose stones over hard pack so the "Gazzas" are very much at home there.
But when it's time to switch the Barro's and eventually the Barzo will be gracing my bike.

CaptainP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. When I say okayish, I meant generally good but felt a little lacking in the deeper stuff and would like a bit more bite. Any milage in investigating the Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyre for the rear? I see there are many different types available of that model too.
Doomanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always going to be tradeoff between gloopy grip and road manners. Have a look at Schwalbe Hans Dampf, pretty aggressive tread pattern for the soft stuff, but I have no idea how it will be on the road.

The Vittoria the CB suggested looks pretty good, but I can't agree with him because he doesn't like dropper posts... Very Happy

'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomanic wrote:
There's always going to be tradeoff between gloopy grip and road manners. Have a look at Schwalbe Hans Dampf, pretty aggressive tread pattern for the soft stuff, but I have no idea how it will be on the road.

The Vittoria the CB suggested looks pretty good, but I can't agree with him because he doesn't like dropper posts... Very Happy

Laughing Laughing
Ha Ha,we shall agree to disagree on that score Razz
But we will agree on the Hans Dampf choice.
As much as I have not used them myself they seem to get high praise from lots of riders who have.
Popular choice and probably rightly so.
Hey,I might even break from my norm and try them out over the course of next year.
Nothing ventured and all that jazz.

CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainP wrote:
Thanks for the replies. When I say okayish, I meant generally good but felt a little lacking in the deeper stuff and would like a bit more bite. Any milage in investigating the Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyre for the rear? I see there are many different types available of that model too.

Picking up on the Schwalbe theme,the NN's were the reason I shied away from Schwalbe all this time.
But people will tell you that they are a good tyre and to go with them,fair enough.
I maybe got unlucky with mine as Schwalbe (I imagine) are the No.1 choice at the mo and in the past.
At least in Britain anyway.

KTM540

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those about to grip .. we salute you !! Laughing

grip.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.48 KB
 Viewed:  53 Time(s)

grip.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: