Your ride today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 494, 495, 496
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read, Richard. Thanks. Very Happy

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:
Great read, Richard. Thanks. Very Happy

NO, thankyou

I have 3 days left to travel around again

Unless
On Sunday, one of the local Clubs is organising a 'CX Fun Day' shortly

http://www.calderclarion.co.uk/

Sunday 23rd July; http://www.calderclarion.co.uk/calendar/

They had a rider in the Tour de France, a few years ago, who won a few stages
(born in the same village, as me, & I know & , still see his sister every so often)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4281981

I may go along, & watch, or............ drag the bike out of the garage, & participate
However, it's been two years since I last raced CX, & that single race was my first since 2009)

Got to admit, I know I'll get hammered out there!
I may be quite 'bike-fit', possibly 'run-fit', but as for 'cross-fit'............................. forget it!!!

Should I race?

After all, I have a CX bike, a club skin-suit (which I guess will stretch over my chubbiness)
Plus!!, from a Yorkshiremans perspective, with it being a 'try it' event, it's a lot cheaper
Entry, at the WTC event in 2015 was £14, this is £5 (as cheap as most fell-races!!)

Cycling. Cyclo-Cross. 2009. Temple Newsam. 7.JPG
 Description:
Possibly my last CX, in 2009, barring the one event in 2015
Do I really want to look like that again?
 Filesize:  167.02 KB
 Viewed:  1958 Time(s)

Cycling. Cyclo-Cross. 2009. Temple Newsam. 7.JPG

f8eabd89975ab019827c68aa321e46d4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.87 KB
 Viewed:  1958 Time(s)

f8eabd89975ab019827c68aa321e46d4.jpg

Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard A Thackeray wrote:
I have 3 days left to travel around again
Unless
On Sunday, one of the local Clubs is organising a 'CX Fun Day' shortly

http://www.calderclarion.co.uk/

I rode with 'WTC' instead, as a 'Level 2'

One of the guys used to work in Chevin Cycles (Otley) a few years ago, & we knew a few of the same people
And, he was a MTB-er of the 90s too, so there was a chat about that, when we got chance
Just one girl this time, but, she was also in 'Penistone Foothpath Runners AC'
When she told me that, I also knew members of the Club (such as Phil, & Lisa, Hinchcliffe)

Once more, I was overdressed (long-sleeves & bib-tights), & on the CGR!
All others were in shorts/short-sleeves, but I certainly didn't embarrass myself

Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few rides recently, but neglected to write them up on here Embarassed

So, I've copied/pasted a report of todays ride 'from another cycling forum'
(ask me, if you want to know which)
Thus, there may be a few allusions to previous reports, which are no good here

Off We Go

Decided, ridden, reported............................................

Bike selected; CGR (with an ulterior motive, revealed later)
Weather; Sunny (imtermittantly), windy - but not like yesterday!!

All photographs taken today, unless captioned otherwise

Down Castleford Road, towards the M62
No need to take the usual 'primary', at the traffic-lights, that control access at the slip-road (as it was closed, for road-works)
Under the m-way, past the new Haribo factory
Pass 'Voysey Row'; https://www.williamhbrown.co.uk/property/ref-CAF107715

And, what must be that H&S agents nightmare............. 'DiggerLand' Laughing

Up to the site of the old Mining College, a wonderful building, now gone
Into Hightown, passing Castleford & Normanton District Hospital (sold for housing)

Through Castleford itself
Out onto Barnsdale Road, crossing the River Aire, & the Canal (really just a 'cut' to avoid the Weir & serpentine bends in the river)
All the way along Barnsdale, over Allerton Crossroads, up 'Mary Pannal', heading past Ledston Luck Business Park (ex-colliery)
Over the roundabout, at Peckfield Bar (the crossing with the A63, Leeds - Selby road)

Sadly, I'd mistimed again, so had presumably missed '60103 Flying Scotsman', at the Ridge Bridge
The bridge did rattle a bit, & move, when a couple of artics went over it, as I was stood there

Further up. I diverted off the new section, that leads up to the M1, at jct 47, by continuing on the old 'Ridge Road' that joins up with the 'Great North Road' just prior to HookMoor,

I didn't go into Aberford this ride, but headed right (north-west) onto Collier Lane, towards Lotherton Hall
Passing the Hall, I entered the District Of Selby, & North Yorkshire again

'The Crooked Billet' & Lead Chapel were passed, as was Dam Lane, up into Saxton
The steady drag was commenced up onto Towton Moor
A brief stop was made, at the Memorial Cross
http://www.battlefieldstrust.com/resource-centre/warsoftheroses/battle view.asp?BattleFieldId=46
PHOTO 1

Then onwards into Towton itself
A group (presumably, as they were being addressed as a group) were in the car-park, of the Rockingham Arms, looking like they off on the Battlefield Trail

As it was, I headed down, what was the pre-TurnPike road, as evidenced by the name
PHOTO 2 - from a previous ride

The 'OLR' was, what would at first site, be the archetypal farm/field access track, but then again, that's all it is now really
Various informative signs are around the 'Battlefield Trail', with the first one denoting the discovery of mass-graves nearby, & the strip-farming still evident in the mounds/depressions of the fields

At the highest point, there was a spllt, with the Battlefield Walk, now taking a circular path, to head back towards Towton Cross, via various other important points (like the 'Bridge of Bodies')

I followed the 'OLR' (or what should be it, via my memory of the OS sheet)
It started off, as just a gap in the hedge, with a steady descent, changing to rock-steps, as it was seemingly at the bed-rock (it is in limestone quarry territory)
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1871049

I'd not call it a full blown 'Hollow-Way', but it was on the verge
The steps would have been an issue, on the 'blue' Ribble, with its '23' section tyres, but the CGR runs on '28' (Schwalbe Durano)
PHOTO 3 & 4

When all of a sudden, it opened up, into a little wooded area, with a bridge over the c*ck Beck (the one that flowed red in March 1461)

It was so very peaceful, with barely a sound, even the wind up in the trees over the field was barely heard
The only downside was the imprint in the mud, of a MX/Enduro bike tyre Evil or Very Mad
The upside was, that it was probably quiet enough to dispose of the bike, & the body, if he'd returned Very Happy
PHOTO 5

After spending a few minutes, just enjoying the silence, & probably categorising it as my 'Number 2 Peaceful Place' (after the PackHorse bridge at Dob Park, north of Otley), it was time to leave

Climbing back up the other side, was much the same, but without gravity assistance, a '23' (possibly?, on a 12-28, 10-speed cassette) was okay for the ascent
It would certainly have been a test for a team of Horses, heading northwards, that may have last been changed in Sherburn-in-Elmet (circa 8 miles), at the Red Lion
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4092859

On the top, it was a rejoin of Chantry Lane, which I last saw at Towton, just after the Crooked Billet, as a bridleway/farm-road
Which then, became Old London Road
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/292944

Through the edge of Stutton, over the A64, with a decent into Tadcaster, where I'd not been since the Tour de Yorkshire started there (Stege 2, & the Womens race)

I had a bit of a mooch round the back-streets, & a ride along the river-bank to the weir

Back into to the town-centre, then a 'stiffening of the sinews', & a circuitous trip home

Onto the 'Tadcaster TurnPike' (A162, or is it the 'FerryBridge TurnPike' here?) I followed that, past the impressive gates into Grimston Park

A left turn onto Raw Lane, too me towards Ulleskelf, with its ever so gradual descent (1-in-30?)
Over the railway bridge, & the right fork for Church Fenton was taken, rather than the loop into Ryther & Cawood
Sadly the hedgerow at the Windmill made it all but impossible to photograph it

Back past the Gypsum plant, & onto the Bishopdyke Road, by Sherburn station
A steady-speed ride down the Bypass, to South Milford, & the sight of another connection to days gone by, with thought of the 'London Road' sign on a (now disused, since the roundabout) branch of the 'Tadcaster TurnPike'

From here, it was a fairly routine route home
Right (west) at the roundabout with the Selby road (A63), which is even referred to as 'TurnPike' on the milestones

A left, onto Rawfield Lane, to head back towards Fairburn, & another meeting with the 'Great North Road', as I passed over, first the 'new' A1, then the now downgraded 'old' A1, & finally a couple of hundred yards on the 'GNR' (right in front of the houses & village School

Home, via Newton Lane, past the RSPB centre, meeting Barnsdale Road again, at Allerton Crossroads, & home in the reverse order of the start of this elongated tale

I hope it entertained/informed/enlightened at least one person
If so, it was worthwhile writing it

Circa ; 40 miles, & the route is here; https://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4599151.html

The End.......

Until tomorrows ride (still got Monday/Tuesday off work)

DSCF3677.JPG
 Description:
PHOTO 5
 Filesize:  674.46 KB
 Viewed:  1814 Time(s)

DSCF3677.JPG

DSCF3676.JPG
 Description:
PHOTO 4
 Filesize:  659.33 KB

DSCF3676.JPG

DSCF3674.JPG
 Description:
PHOTO 3
 Filesize:  686.6 KB

DSCF3674.JPG

Rides. Towton. 2.JPG
 Description:
PHOTO 2
 Filesize:  698.89 KB

Rides. Towton. 2.JPG

DSCF3669.JPG
 Description:
PHOTO 1
 Filesize:  742.94 KB

DSCF3669.JPG

Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday 24th

Bike selected; CGR
Weather; overcast. warm, dry, headwind (on the return)

Photographs from today (Refer to the 'bold letters' in the text)

Under the M62 (jct 31), towards Castleford, up to Whitwood Roundabout
Straight over into HighTown, over the level crossing on Albion Street, & past the Bus Station

A brief stop, by Castle Motorcycles, & the (closed) Bridge Inn, to photograph the bench there, or 'The Forum' as its known (as in a meeting/talking place, & a nod to the towns Roman history, as a Garrison)
A

Over the River Aire, & the 'cut' (Canal)
Out along Barnsdale Road, up towards Allerton Bywater, with roadworks & 3-way temporary traffic-lights on the junction
Up 'Mary Pannal', on what is the 'HookMoor Branch'
Past Ledston Luck (old colliery, now a business park)

Over 'Peckfield Bar', & looking into the hedgerow to the right of the road, trying to spot the remnants of the narrow-gauge railway that was there, between Ledston Luck, & the Leeds - York railway

For a change, I headed up to the new roundabout, on the top side of Garforth (jct 47/M1), with the last exit, towards HookMoor
(normally, I'd have gone up the old 'Ridge Road', towards HookMoor)

Dropping down towards the A1 flyover, it was a sharp left onto the old 'GNR', into Aberford
Noting 'The Late Rose & Crown Inn' on the crest of the hill, before dropping towards the bridge over c*ck Beck
(the right 'half')
B

After leaving the village, it was a fast sprint, on the A1/A64 roundabout, as it was quite busy
A turn onto Spen Common Lane, was gladly takan, with an immediate right to the back of the old cottages
The road in front of the cottages is the 'Great North Road', with the junctions kerb-stones still to be seen, from when it was a roundabout
The big house was the 'White Hart' pub
C & D

I had intended riding up to Bramham, & photographing there, but timewise, I was limited
Thus it was a turnaround, into a headwind

Dropped back down through Aberford, but this time, straight over at HookMoor, & back onto the old (bypassed) stretch of Ridge Road

I got caught up for quite a while, at Allerton Bywater, whist the contractors rearranged cones & temporary traffic-lights
No worries, I still had time in hand

Once back in Castleford, it was a slight detour, via Bridge Street, towards Lower Oxford Street, to see which estate agents was selling a favourite house of mine (I'd seen the sale notification, via Wowhaus, on FaceBook)
E

http://www.wowhaus.co.uk/2012/08/14...ed-art-deco-property-in-castlefo rd-yorkshire/
http://www.themodernhouse.com/past-sales/castleford-west-yorkshire/

A reasonable little ride, if a bit overdressed ('summer' bib-tights, & long-sleeve club jersey)
I could have used the Gran Fondo, but what the heck!!

DSCF3808.JPG
 Description:
A
'The Forum'
 Filesize:  717.75 KB
 Viewed:  1642 Time(s)

DSCF3808.JPG

Aberford. Rose & Crown Inn.JPG
 Description:
B
'The Late Rose & Crown Inn'
 Filesize:  719.63 KB

Aberford. Rose & Crown Inn.JPG

Bramham. Bramham Crossroads. Spen Common Cottages. 5.JPG
 Description:
C
'Spen Lane Cottages'
 Filesize:  708.66 KB

Bramham. Bramham Crossroads. Spen Common Cottages. 5.JPG

Bramham. Bramham Crossroads. White Hart. 7.JPG
 Description:
D
'White Hart'
 Filesize:  714.17 KB

Bramham. Bramham Crossroads. White Hart. 7.JPG

DSCF3827.JPG
 Description:
E
'Chatelaine'
 Filesize:  712.47 KB

DSCF3827.JPG

Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a potter about this morning, on the CGR
I did head along part of the 'Trans-Pennine Trail', between Methley & Woodlesford (Lemonroyd, I think?) Lock, along the River Aire. for a distance, leaving it via Bollough Lane, back to John O Gaunts

This map (below the image, is the approximate stopping place for my image, but that photograph is looking in the opposite direction

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2974107

Quite wet/muddy along there, in patches, it made the section................... interesting................

Road-Trip. 26.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  663.23 KB
 Viewed:  1604 Time(s)

Road-Trip. 26.JPG

Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike selected; CGR (as I knew there'd be damp/mucky roads)
Weather; overcast. quite cold, mainly dry, west wind on the return
Photographs from today (unless captioned otherwise)

Didn't really have as much time as I wanted (until I got home, & found I could have had more)

Down under the M62, at Whitwood, avoiding the diesel patches, smellable though!
Up along Whitwood Common, past Voysey Row & the RIsing Sun
(architect CFA Voysey)
Thursday 24th June 2004
PHOTO A & B

Then the short climb to Whitwood Roundabout, where the Mining College was located (now demolished, & houses built)
A drop into Castleford, over the level crossing on Albion Street, past the Burberry sewing factory

Once in the bottom of the town, past the Flour Mill (largest Stone Ground Mill, in the world)
Over Hartleys Bridge (1808), spanning the River Aire
Up the continuation of the Roman Road, here as Barnsdale Road
Over the cross-roads at Allerton Bywater

Up 'Mary Pannall hill'
http://www.castleford.org/history/cas017.html

A right turn onto Back Newton Lane, with the 'roller-coaster' that it brings, by the junction that leads into Ledston
PHOTO C

Into Ledsham, past the famous (for its 6 day licence, of many years!!) 'Chequers Inn'
Up New Road, opposite, with it's slightly oddly named Hill Top Cottage............... at the bottom
Given the name, any access further up the lane would probably have been to the private estate of Ledston Hall?
(but it is shown in entirety, joining the Great North Road, on a 1908 OS map)

Once the top of this glorious drag, is reached, a right turn takes us under the Great North Road (old A1), then a bridge over the new (m-way standard) A1
On a clear day, the twin-towers of York Minster can be seen, from the bridge
Squires is just through the double s-bends

A call for a cuppa. & a look to see what equipment is there
Not many, but given the day, I guess most of them are under orders, & at home with families?

iPhone photo, so not as good as others
PHOTO D

There was an interesting old Royal Enfield, investigation shows it to possibly be a 1923 model; a 225
With rod actuated front brake, & wooden brake blocks!!
PHOTO E & F

After a brew, & natter, to a couple of the bikers there. I usually have a conversation with someone, sometimes about the lightness of the Gran Fondo (to their eyes), or the hydraulic discs of the CGR, it was time to leave

A right out of the pub (as that's what it was, prior to the café moving there), then another right onto Gorse Lane, which always makes me think of the 'Spring Classics' with its rolling nature, broken surface, & generally mud-covered tarmac

Thursday 17th November 2014
PHOTO G

Then back round past Steeton Hall Gate-House, & into South Milford
Onto Westfield Lane, then a turning into Lumby

Cross over the A63, just west of the roundabout with the A162 'Tadcaster Turn-Pike', & head towards Fairburn, on the very windswept Rawfield Lane, crossing the 'new' A1 once more
Fairburn is entered via a roundabout at the 'old' (dual-carriagewayed) A1, I well remember the flyover bridge here, with traffic lights on it
Then a very short stretch of the 'Great North Road', that was also a village street, with pubs on it, and the School

Down past the RSPB centre, at Fairburn Ings, heading back towards Allerton Bywater cross-roads

Into Castleford, & home the same way as I entered Castleford, but with a nasty headwind

Normanton.Whitwood, Rising Sun 2.JPG
 Description:
PHOTO A
 Filesize:  64.96 KB
 Viewed:  1194 Time(s)

Normanton.Whitwood, Rising Sun 2.JPG

DSCF4140.JPG
 Description:
PHOTO C
 Filesize:  739 KB

DSCF4140.JPG

25594275_10213445853773050_8608639479735280325_n.jpg
 Description:
PHOTO D
 Filesize:  53.13 KB

25594275_10213445853773050_8608639479735280325_n.jpg

DSCF4142.JPG
 Description:
PHOTO E
 Filesize:  740.85 KB

DSCF4142.JPG

DSCF4144.JPG
 Description:
PHOTO F
 Filesize:  711.8 KB

DSCF4144.JPG

Road Trip. Ledsham. 2.JPG
 Description:
PHOTO G
 Filesize:  734.65 KB

Road Trip. Ledsham. 2.JPG

Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Richard. Very Happy

I had a quick run out on the Cannondale Synapse Disc, just had the Avid disc brakes replaced with Shimano ones and what a ruddy difference, much, much better.

Damned windy when I set out, in fact it remained damned windy all day.

Light drizzle and very mucky back roads, but plenty of riders out all giving, and receiving a very cheery "Hello". Very Happy

Ruddy bike was filthy when I got home, but could only manage a cursory rinse and a chain lube as had so many jobs to do.

Shame as it turned out to be one of those days when you coud have just stayed out. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Road Bike Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 494, 495, 496
Page 496 of 496

Jump to: