Turbo Trainer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vale46

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Turbo Trainer? Reply with quote

Hi is a Turbo Trainer worth buying? How different is one to a basic Excerise bike?

Regards Neil.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Trainer? Reply with quote

Vale46 wrote:
Hi is a Turbo Trainer worth buying? How different is one to a basic Excerise bike?

Answer is "yes" and they are a million miles in difference to a basic exercise bike in my opinion.

What are you intending to use it for, and what type of bike are you going to be using on it???

I just reviewed this turbo I have bought:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/content/read-review.php?id=80

Vale46

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Turbo Trainer? Reply with quote

Hi. I Have a Giant Defy Road Bike Which is what I intend to use the Turbo Trainer for and I also have two mtb's a Trek Fuel and a Trek 29er Superfly bike.
I want to increase my stamina in my legs.

Regards Neil.
Steve G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant comment on the difference between the Turbo and an exercise bike, I suppose the main one would be exercize bikes, in my experience, are uncomfortable for long periods where as your own bike has probably been tweaked to fit.

From an exercise/effectiveness point of view I dont know any facts but the turbo seems to work, Ive never had any success with the exercise bike.

Ive recently bought a cycle ops mag plus. Had it about a month now. Try to get on it 2-3 times a week alternating between a Ramp workout to help stamina and an intervals workout to help peak and recovery.

I bought it during some bad weather and at the same time my wife gave birth to our little boy so I couldn't get out. Just over 2 weeks of no riding (usually try and get in 1 day at the weekend and one evening a week) just a turbo session every other day and I could not believe the difference when I got back on the bike. I thought I was going to struggle having not riden but in fact took around 3-5 minutes off all the regular climbs we did which are usually 15 - 25 minute sections. Plus I kept control of my breathing all the way when Im usually a mess and have my lungs and heart trying to burst out of my chest within a few minutes. Recovery for the next climb is also much improved.

A few rides weve done since have seen me set personal records on a 45 minute climb then take further time off it on the second lap of the trail, Previously a second lap was a painful slow process never mind setting a PR.

Yesterday I did a climb to a local mountain and took over 10 minutes off a (previously) 50 minute climb, again, maintaining control of my breathing.

I also find im riding climbs without stopping when I would previously need to rest on multiple occasions.

Dont get me wrong, I am not "fit" by any stretch of the imagination, Im still not going to keep up with really fit people on a climb/ride, but the improvement I have seen personally is quite amazing. I am enjoying riding much more now due to the fact that I'm not constantly struggling.

The first few sessions are hard, very boring but but dont give in and once you have a few sessions out of the way it gets better and time passes quicker, Set it up in front of a telly to get through the warm up, cool down and lower effort segments of your workout, If your doing it right you wont be able to focus on the telly when your working hard.

To get real benefit I think it is important to use a heart rate monitor (or at least a speedo/cycle computer) so you can monitor and maintain a level of effort.

Its also nice to have a speedo/computer with a distance record so you can see progress which helps with motivation.

I use a Garmin edge 500 which is great, You can also program your sessions to prompt you at each segment (warm up, max effort, recovery, etc etc) and prompt you if you drop out of pre defined parameters for each segment (heart rate, speed, cadence) then up load and directly compare distance/speed/heart rate for each segment which I find very useful for motivation.

Definitely a convert to the turbo, highly recomended!

Steve.
sportsman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these turbo trainers ok for a mountain bike , obviously would put a slick tyre on...
Gunner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportsman wrote:
Are these turbo trainers ok for a mountain bike , obviously would put a slick tyre on...

Yes, but you need to make sure you buy one that is compatible with a 26inch wheel.

sportsman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok do you recommend any .
Gunner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I have and it's great:

http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/turbo_trainers/TT_TACX_T2600.html?gcli d=COeKlcT-gbYCFcHHtAodzCIAKQ

Vale46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Guys I took your advise and bought a Tacx Santori Pro Turbo trainer
and I cant thank you Guys enough. I went for a good bike ride yesterday (Road cycle routes on a mtb with knobble tyres) and far exceeded my expectations.
Well pleased.
Thanks again
Neil.
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vale46 wrote:
Well Guys I took your advise and bought a Tacx Santori Pro Turbo trainer....................

Well pleased.
Thanks again
Neil.

Good choice and glad that it has paid off. Thanks for coming back and telling us, that really helps other people who have watched the Thread. Very Happy

European Bob

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this tread with intrest tonight as I am poss going to buy a turbo trainer this week so my wife and I can use it .

I need to increase stamina and hart and lung fitness and it will be easier to jump on this for an hour each night when its bad weather I pod in and peddle like the devil is chasing you Laughing

ironic thing is I has a top of the range one a few years back and sold it when I sold all my bikes and gear when I lost interest .

CUBE ATTENTION 2013

ORANGE SUB5 2003 1x10 (34tf-42trex-11 rear)

2013 ON-ONE Inbreed SSFR 34-18
HaroldPr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Turbo Trainer Reply with quote

Tacx Turbo trainer. Fairly basic model but in good working order. Surplus to requirements. PM me if youre interested and I can bring it to club meeting

Andy
scoobydoo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys,while on a turbo trainer what is the best way to record speed and distance
Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobydoo wrote:
hi guys,while on a turbo trainer what is the best way to record speed and distance

I use my Garmin Edge paired with a Garmin speed and cadence sensor fitted to the bike. Just need to turn the GPS setting to off on the Garmin before you start.

Wink

scoobydoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: