I'm a noob again
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamie_moe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: I'm a noob again Reply with quote

Hello all, I've been inactive for years and surprised to find my account still remains open 😁 I've recently decided that I'm getting a bit on the chunky side as well as being the wrong side of 21 I'm no longer a spring chicken and although I'm now a father I'm not enjoying the "dad bod" that came with it, so I'm looking at taking it all back up again, only this time I'll be attempting to do it properly rather than half harted as my previous attempts turned out to be 😑

As of the end of this month I'll be putting money aside to begin a build so I'll be on the lookout for a half decent FS frame of sorts, I'm not made of money so 2nd hand seems to be the way forward at the moment, any reccomendations are very welcome 😁😁

Thank you in advance

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
jb2_86_uk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to yourself I have just gotten back into the saddle (and onto MTBE) after a long break too. It's a shame but this place seems really quiet from when I was last here (2013).

I can't help with the build I'm afraid, I'm more of an off-the-shelf kinda guy haha

jamie_moe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb2_86_uk wrote:
Similar to yourself I have just gotten back into the saddle (and onto MTBE) after a long break too. It's a shame but this place seems really quiet from when I was last here (2013).

I can't help with the build I'm afraid, I'm more of an off-the-shelf kinda guy haha

It dose seem a bit on the quiet side in comparison to the last time I was here and I wouldn't mind the straight off the shelf option but it works out that id have something better for my money if I built it in bits each month, I know I'm gonna get stuck as it's all changed since I last built a bike 😂
Threevok

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help with the build, but not much use on FS frames

I build hardtails myself

jamie_moe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threevok wrote:
I can help with the build, but not much use on FS frames

I build hardtails myself

Id love an orange 5 or patriot but there a bit on the steep side price wise, other than that I have no idea what other similar styles are available
martini henrie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second hand all the way if money is tight. You can get most of what you want and need from the likes of eBay, gum tree and pinkbike with little hassle. Threading it all together can be a bigger hassle, but if you have a good friend or lbs then it can be easier.

Do a lot of research before plumping for a frame or bike, and don't be too afraid to look outside of the big brands, you're likely to catch a bargain as most will blindly buy the name. Just be careful to do the research again.

Try for a 11 speed group set, and decent wheels but the biggest thing to worry about is making sure the frame is newer and a decent weight. You can upgrade everything else as you find better gear, but a dog frame will stay a dog whatever you bling it with.

Good luck with your build, and show us the result.
jamie_moe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martini henrie wrote:
Second hand all the way if money is tight. You can get most of what you want and need from the likes of eBay, gum tree and pinkbike with little hassle. Threading it all together can be a bigger hassle, but if you have a good friend or lbs then it can be easier.

Do a lot of research before plumping for a frame or bike, and don't be too afraid to look outside of the big brands, you're likely to catch a bargain as most will blindly buy the name. Just be careful to do the research again.

Try for a 11 speed group set, and decent wheels but the biggest thing to worry about is making sure the frame is newer and a decent weight. You can upgrade everything else as you find better gear, but a dog frame will stay a dog whatever you bling it with.

Good luck with your build, and show us the result.

So far only the orange 5 and patriot frames have caught my eye but there the only full sus frames I've known to look for, I'm not in to akward suspension linkages so it's hard to find something I like
matthews

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to be launching down mountains at breakneck speeds , if not why bother with FS as there's a bucket load more to maintain . just my opinion and yes I spend a lot of time going down biggish (the biggest we have in this country) hills quite happily on a HT.
Cotic Soul 26 nearly Shimano free
Soul 275 even less Shimano
jamie_moe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthews wrote:
Are you going to be launching down mountains at breakneck speeds , if not why bother with FS as there's a bucket load more to maintain . just my opinion and yes I spend a lot of time going down biggish (the biggest we have in this country) hills quite happily on a HT.

I'm far to scared of hights to be dropping off the edge of mountains 😂😂 I've had hard tails in the past and wouldn't say no to another I'm just stuck on what id have as these days there's far to much choice of any mtb
matthews

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd hand steel HT will give you the best bang for your buck , steel tends to make for a less harsh ride than ally , can't comment on carbon as not tried it .
I'm the wrong side of 50 let alone 21 .

Cotic Soul 26 nearly Shimano free
Soul 275 even less Shimano
jamie_moe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthews wrote:
2nd hand steel HT will give you the best bang for your buck , steel tends to make for a less harsh ride than ally , can't comment on carbon as not tried it .

Steel always seems on the heavy side to me, although these days the steel is more of an alloy so made lighter, suppose it's worth a gander
Threevok

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie_moe wrote:
matthews wrote:

Steel always seems on the heavy side to me, although these days the steel is more of an alloy so made lighter, suppose it's worth a gander

You'd be hard pushed to find a lighter alloy frame than my steel Kinesis Virtue

(Although the alloy Kinesis KM210 frame I bought for the wife is slightly lighter)

Weight isn't everything though

My Steel On One inbred frame is nearly a kilo heavier than my previous Alloy GT Avalanche frame, but (I must admit) a hell of a lot more fun

jamie_moe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threevok wrote:
jamie_moe wrote:
matthews wrote:

You'd be hard pushed to find a lighter alloy frame than my steel Kinesis Virtue

(Although the alloy Kinesis KM210 frame I bought for the wife is slightly lighter)

Weight isn't everything though

My Steel On One inbred frame is nearly a kilo heavier than my previous Alloy GT Avalanche frame, but (I must admit) a hell of a lot more fun

I guess it's just a case of selecting a few that take my fancy and compare them against each other, I did really like a kinesis maxlight I seen years ago but can't remember the details to search for it, sure it had carbon chain stay
Threevok

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie_moe wrote:

I guess it's just a case of selecting a few that take my fancy and compare them against each other, I did really like a kinesis maxlight I seen years ago but can't remember the details to search for it, sure it had carbon chain stay

Drool over this

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Maxlight/Phase

jamie_moe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threevok wrote:
jamie_moe wrote:

Drool over this

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Maxlight/Phase

Wow, I hate you now 😂😂 that's gorgeous, welding is cracking on it aswel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: