Which Turbo Trainer?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doomanic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Which Turbo Trainer? Reply with quote

OK, you skinny-tyred whippets, which turbo trainer should I buy for the winter?

Budget, £200 max unless it's very special. I don't want to spend more on the trainer than I did on the bike...

I've got my eye on this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-qubo-wireless-digital-trainer/

'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Robmet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's a smart trainer I wouldn't bother.

Halfords and I think Decatholon were doing a deal on Tacx smart trainers last year for sub £200.

They are literally a different ball game to the standard jobbies.

Find someone with a british cycling membership and get them to buy this with the additional 10% discount.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flow-t224 0-smart-turbo-trainer
Doomanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one was £180 at Xmas. Sad

I don't know anyone with BC membership. Sad Sad

'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Qubo is a steal for that price. Wink

It's very easy to set up and offers very minimal tyre wear.

The head unit can be used train with either power, program levels, or resistance, or you can bypass the head unit and train using your Smartphone after downloading the Elite app. which offers you all the above options and more or you can create routes on a map and ride them on the turbo which will adjust resistance in accordance with elevation along the route. Or you can go for a ride and save the ride to your phone then re-ride that route via the app on your turbo.

Getting up out of the saddle and "honking" is also much more realistic and stable than on a "normal" turbo too.

killswitch73

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know your budget is only £200 . I just want to say I was in your situation in April and looked and looked . And found one that was well out of my price range but it had £300 off on a special deal . (£899)

I got it on 0% 18 month finance at only £50 a month .

The amazing and best smart trainer out there . The Tacx Neo . I used to use Zeift on it and now I use Bkool due to the reply video training and for a 4 month premium subscription for only £7.99 then £7.99 a month thereafter .zwift is £12.99 through iTunes a month .

I’m in love with mine about to use it again due to weather being crap up Scotland but I can do 120 miles a week on it easy and more .

I’ve built up my fitness again after being off the bike for a while and even though it hurts at first it’s an amazing bit of kit

The wahoo kickr is also one of the best out there and cheaper.

Just go with what Gunnar said if that’s your budget pal . I bought a normal trainer and still got it but the noise is horrendous .

Or just buy rollers put speed and cadence on bike using garnin or other gps then your good to go as rollers will be hard at first but better and will teach you to keep balance on the bike too and can use MTB .

killswitch73

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know your budget is only £200 . I just want to say I was in your situation in April and looked and looked . And found one that was well out of my price range but it had £300 off on a special deal . (£899)

I got it on 0% 18 month finance at only £50 a month .

The amazing and best smart trainer out there . The Tacx Neo . I used to use Zeift on it and now I use Bkool due to the reply video training and for a 4 month premium subscription for only £7.99 then £7.99 a month thereafter .zwift is £12.99 through iTunes a month .

I’m in love with mine about to use it again due to weather being crap up Scotland but I can do 120 miles a week on it easy and more .

I’ve built up my fitness again after being off the bike for a while and even though it hurts at first it’s an amazing bit of kit

The wahoo kickr is also one of the best out there and cheaper.

Just go with what Gunnar said if that’s your budget pal . I bought a normal trainer and still got it but the noise is horrendous .

Or just buy rollers put speed and cadence on bike using garnin or other gps then your good to go as rollers will be hard at first but better and will teach you to keep balance on the bike too and can use MTB .

killswitch73

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my phone just double posted that .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Road Bike Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: