Any advice for someone trying to get into mountain biking?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrykane140693

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Any advice for someone trying to get into mountain biking? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Do you have any tips on getting started? I went with my cousin and loved it, but he lives hours away so I have no one to go with. I also don't have a bike or any gear. But I do live in an area in the UK with a few good trails.

Some tips would be much appreciated!

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
martini henrie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What area of the UK? Find out if there are any cycling groups in your area, FB is a good way of doing it. Some of your local bike shops will also have links to clubs as well, and these may be able to get you discounts on bikes and gear through the group as well.

I'd suggest a good second hand bike to start off with, unless you have the budget to get a new one. Try hiring a few different manufacturers bikes, steel, alloy and carbon if you can to find out what material, wheelsize and supension type you prefer.

Now is a great time to start picking up gear, as a lot of places are clearing out this years gear and bikes ready for next years lot.

Good luck, and welcome to your wallet being eternally empty

Laughing
mars-bar-man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Facebook marketplace and also Pinkbike. But be wary, ask probing questions to help prevent you buying a hot bike. You can usually grab yourself a bargain. Be sure to thoroughly inspect the bike for any cracks or excessive wear/rub marks.

As for gear, like the above poster said, a LOT of shops are have 2018 stock clear outs, as well as a lot of online stores. Try shopping in store though, your LBS will be a godsend for directing you to riding groups, plus if you buy from them regularly, discount and servicing help will always be beneficial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: