Just curious...has anyone built a 3 x 1 mountain bike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetmorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Just curious...has anyone built a 3 x 1 mountain bike Reply with quote

This is probably a flight fancy but I'm just curious about this. has anyone built a 3 x 1 geared mountain bike instead of a 1, 2 or 3 x whatever???

Basically after a while being off this forum and off the bikes because of ill health, money and a number of other things. I've decided to get on and get my bikes sorted out. 1 needs a service...the second needs some new parts fitted. but the third is a different matter.

I had been collecting various parts that people were throwing out to recycle them into a Bits-a bike. I have a frame from a Tesco's £99 special, heavy but solid and good order and 2 wheels among other parts. The front wheel is just a generic 26" MBT wheel...un-branded. The rear wheel is a SunRingle Double wide with a single speed 16 tooth sprocket fitted. The frame is fitted with 3 speed chainring set.

I can't see any problem physically having 3 chainrings and a single speed sprocket but are there any problems with trying to build such a bike

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Threevok

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have toyed with the idea, for my current single speed setup bike, but not got around to it

You should be OK providing you set the chain-line to the middle ring, plus (of course) you will need a chain tensioner

The other idea you may want to look into is a Dingle Speed - effectively a 2x2 setup, where you would run two chainrings and sprokets, the combination of each giving you a high a low option (they should have the same or close toothcount)

This does not require a chain tensioner (assuming you have a hard-tail bike, not a full suspension) but does require you to manually change between the two

For example a 36×18 (2:1) and 42×12 (3.5:1) would give you top and bottom -a toothcount of 54

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: