Possible scam?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyRustle

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Possible scam? Reply with quote

Hi all, new member here. I had an odd experience the other day and wondered what others here would make of it. I needed a new rear mech (SRAM GX 10sp Medium cage, if anyone’s interested) and did a bit of internet shopping. Chain Reaction were out of stock, as were many of the other usual retailers, but an unknown company called “Cyclein” had stock at a reasonable price. I was in two minds about it but the website looked plausible enough and they accepted PayPal so I thought I’d give them a go.

Anyway, I went through the purchase and noticed on the PayPal payment interface that the PP account was listed as JE James Cycles. A bit of due diligence showed that the postal address for Cyclin was just down the road from a JE James branch so I assumed it was a division of the company.

However - when the payment went through, the “JE James” PayPal showed a contact email that was a random gmail account. It is technically possible to have a false name on a PayPal account and I just can’t see a company the size of JE James relying on gmail so this started to ring alarm bells. I tried to phone the company and their number went through to JE James, which just rang and rang. Emails to the Cyclin support email, the random gmail address, and JE James got no response at all. I was getting concerned by this point so I contacted PayPal to say that I was concerned this was a scam and after a bit of grief and aggro they refunded my money.

As of this morning the Cyclein website is still up and running and nobody has been in touch either from them or JE James. If it is a scam then the scammer is unlikely to get back to me but I’m surprised at JE James - COVID and reduced capacity notwithstanding you’d think they’d be concerned at someone using their name to rip people off. If it isn’t a scam and is genuinely associated with JE James then I’d say they’ve been remarkably stupid to put a gmail address on their PayPal account.

Any thoughts?

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: