Pushing yourself...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Pushing yourself... Reply with quote

I have had my road bike since July, this year.

I am wanting to push myself to get a better time,
greater distance and so on.

I am doing 100 miles plus a week and have being doing this a while now. I have being keeping log of what i do. I have noticed my heart rate and recovery time go down and average speed go up.

So anyway...
does anyone have any good tips, that they could give me.

"be the best you can be..."

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
HarryB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, I'd be more than happy to meet up for a ride some time and I can hopefully pass on a few tips based on my return to cycling two years ago and my training for my week's ride in the Alps
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for me i'm starting my proper winter training for next years road race season

so when i go on rides i try to ride the way i do in races, atacking sprints every so often etc.

also ive learned that when attacking up hills when you get to the top dont just rest, atck up and over the hill as thats werea brake can be made.

but thats me
Simon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnkas guys.

HarryB, would be great to go cycling with you.
Iam going on the road ride on the 13th, if you are going there,
we can have a chat, lol.

Mr-marty-martin, thanks for telling, i will have to give that one ago, that is if i dont get tired getting up the hills lol.

mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering have you ever thaught about racing (thats asumin you dont race allready)

its actualy probalys one of the best ways to get fitter quicker in my opinion. i go and watch alot of eli d's dad race in the t.l.i. ( http://www.theleagueinternational.com/tynenorthumbriacumbria.htm )

theres a bloke who is pritty unfit who rides some times and is making a masive improvment on his fitness, the races willy sets up ( not sure how far away they are away from you ) are great, you go of in groups with slower first fastest at the back etc. and it realy is of all abilitys. it dont matter if you get droped of the back or cant finish the race.

it would give you a goal of staying with certain people etc
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw i wasnt trying to say you are unfit in that last post i was just using that one bloke as a example Wink
Simon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have just paid to get my membership at stockton wheelers.
i am hoping to do some races, but not to sure how to come across then,
also i would not know what you need (insurance...)

i would like to do some races, it does not really bother me if i come last or can not finish it.

my aim is to get some races in like and do quite well. transport is not really proplem cos i have a car.

Gunner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, you wouldn't go far wrong taking Harry up on an offer of a ride, he is a fit guy, who certainly knows his stuff.

Tips to push yourself to get better times............. Shocked Shocked

Well for what you think it's worth, heres some starters.....

1) K.I.S.S. Keep It So Simple. Make a plan of what you are targets are, don't make big long lists, just a few goals both long and short term, write up what time you have to train and don't be too hard on yourself, most people start things and set off but never ever get there because they burn out.

2) S.M.A.R.T. Keep your targets, S=SPECIFIC, M=MEASURABLE, A=ACHEIVABLE, R=REALISTIC, T=TIMED

3) Look for hills, hills are one of your best training friends. Hills are to cyclists what weight plates are to bodybuilders. Bodybuilders add plates to the bar to increase their strength and size. Hill gradients are just different size weight plates for the cyclist to use depending on his training

4) Don't confuse quantity with quality, riding for 4 hours can have less of a training effect than doing one hour in the right frame of mind at the right intensity.

5) Back to the hills, like Marty said, don't train to ride up hill, train to ride over it, most people get to the top of a hill and then lay off the steam, AND THEN GET DROPPED. You should be able to ride 100 metres over the top of any hill, that's where you make the break. And in training to ride up a hill, train to RIDE up the hill, not just sit there pedalling. Learn how to use your gears and pace, believe me, there's nothing much more demoralising than riding up a hill with some one who is changing up a gear when you are wanting to change down.

6) Look for variety in your hills, long ones, steep ones, short ones that repeat over a distance, they are all good.

7) Look at racing, and riding with other people, nothing boosts your fitness more, but if those other people don't want to ride hard or fast, then forget them, nothing will slow you down faster or hold you back more.

Hope that helps Wink

mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there a good club stockton wheeler's Wink

people there will have info on races etc.

when you were saying about insurance, from what i no about the T.L.I. and british cycling you get a yearly membership from them and that means you can enter all or most races and it gives you cocer with insurance.

http://www.theleagueinternational.com/joinus08membershipform.htm

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/bcf/20080220_joinbc.asp

but from what i no the tli races you can just turn up and race on the night and if your a member pay 5 and if your not a member pay 10

its the last race of the season on thursday so i will ask the event organiser (willy thompson ) about what's needed for races etc to be certain.

not sure but stockton may run club races etc if you ask someone from them they'll no the races etc closest to you
HarryB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
Thnkas guys.

HarryB, would be great to go cycling with you.
Iam going on the road ride on the 13th, if you are going there,
we can have a chat, lol.

Mr-marty-martin, thanks for telling, i will have to give that one ago, that is if i dont get tired getting up the hills lol.

Simon, I may make the 13th but I'm also thinking about getting a late entry for a Sportive in the Lake District on the same day. It all depends on whether I can be arsed driving over to Penrith at 6am

HarryB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:
Simon, you wouldn't go far wrong taking Harry up on an offer of a ride, he is a fit guy, who certainly knows his stuff.

Cheers Gunner. The cheque's in the post.

You are dead right about the hills. I found that after a week in the Alps I was getting stronger by the day. Couldn't believe it on the last day when I got up Alpe d'Huez with two cogs left on the back. And yes, I was riding with a 25 as my biggest gear Cool Cool Cool Cool

Simon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys for all your info.

if you can not make the 13 harry, then good luck on the ride.
i am sure we can come up with a time to meet up.

it would be great to ride with you, at some time.
i am free on the weekends or what ever is really good for you lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Road Bike Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: