Advice needed on XT gear set
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidpharv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Advice needed on XT gear set Reply with quote

I am considering upgrading my current gear system to an XT spec, however, while internet shopping I noticed that the XT range has many sub sections (ie. M748, M751, M760, etc).

I will probably purchase each part (shifters, cranks, front and rear, etc) seperately (mainly due to a lack of money), so, could anyone please inform me if blending the different XT range is either:

a, is ok
b, should not be done!
c, does not matter they all work perfectly together!

My first purchase will probably be a left hand front shifter (plus cable set), can anyone make a recomendation?

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
badblood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do a search on somewhere like merlin cycles for the newer XT stuff, prices are pretty goo and the quality of the chainrings and shifters is better this year the M770/771 range is the latest stuff a set of gear levers will set you back about 45, possibly less if you shop around. Merlin cycles do this for 400:

XT Hollowtech 11 Chainset & BB
XT Shadow rear mech
XT front mech
XT gear levers
XT cassette and chain
XT hydraulic disc brakes 180mm front/160mm rear, choose splined or 6 bolt rotor fitting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

XT is generally accepted to be good value vs weight/ prefomance comprmise...

so first of you'll be a happy bunny with XT kit on yer bike i'd have though..

Now the 3 components you've listed are differnt bits, left and right shifters etc... wether you can do it bit by bit depends what you have on now, ie shimano/SRAM...

also those shifter you've listed are 8 speed... i suspect you want 9 speed... but if you have 8 speed now you'll have to do the chain/rear shifter/mech all at the same time... (i would recommend saving and doing it all at once, you may get a bargain on a set)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: