Schwalbe Big Bens are on
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MPX309



Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 770
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Schwalbe Big Bens are on Reply with quote



Finally got round to getting a set.
Not been for a ride yet, leaving it over night to make sure I didn't pinch the tube(s) during installation (aka it was raining)
I will shift like the wind with these on.

_________________
Trek Scratch Air 9
Giant Talon 3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
CarnaptiousB'Stard



Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 226
Location: Thorntonhall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what kind of (or planning to ) Mtb'ing do you do ?
_________________
Dropper Posts Are For The Butt Hurt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MPX309



Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 770
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None really (on the Giant), just lots of road riding. Took them out on their maiden voyage today.
Everything felt less effort, accelerating, maintaining steady top speed, blah blah. Also yes rolling faster as expected. Was abit windy though so couldn't gauge exactly how much slicker, but a nice difference a good investment


_________________
Trek Scratch Air 9
Giant Talon 3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CarnaptiousB'Stard



Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 226
Location: Thorntonhall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road riding on an MTB !!!! ?
Next you will be telling us you are a Transsexual
Razz Very Happy

_________________
Dropper Posts Are For The Butt Hurt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nik Gnashers



Joined: 30 Dec 2014
Posts: 265
Location: Lincoln

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a set of these for the work bike, less than £13 for a pair free delivery - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Made-by-Schwalbe-2x-Impac-Ridgepac-26-x-2-25 -Mountain-Bike-Tyres-1-Pair-/262889246139?hash=item3d356b8dbb:g:aUwAAO SwImRYc3d~

Made by Schwalbe, but they are branded 'impac'.
Seem really good for the money, only a small knobbly so fine for roads not draggy at all, but enough for gravel tracks etc too.

_________________
Felt Virtue 50 (2015) with upgrades
Done : Sherwood Pines, Dalby Forest, Cannock Chase, Gisburn Forest, Thetford Forest
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MPX309



Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 770
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarnaptiousB'Stard wrote:
Road riding on an MTB !!!! ?
Next you will be telling us you are a Transsexual
Razz Very Happy


LOL. I'm really gonna have to explain?
Ok I have two bikes, one is a hardtail, the other a long travel full sus.
The lockout on the hardtail is intermittent now since I took a fall on it some years ago. around £60 to replace. I've just left it on lockout, and I yes I've designated the Hardtail to road/cycle path riding and longer distances, just because I love cycling in general.

Then I use the full suss bike for actual days in bike parks/trail centers. I can't always visit these places as I'm not loaded with money and in general a day out riding can be pretty expensive when you factor in fuel, paying for an uplift service and everything else. Where as with the hard tail I can jump on it from my house and go pretty much anywhere (within reason) for next to nothing in most cases, but I still get the miles/fitness in on a bike.

Does that explanation count as a sufficient enough reason for why I'm doing what I'm doing?

Don't worry. I haven't shaved my legs and committed to wear skintight lycra

_________________
Trek Scratch Air 9
Giant Talon 3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CarnaptiousB'Stard



Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 226
Location: Thorntonhall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPX309 wrote:
CarnaptiousB'Stard wrote:
Road riding on an MTB !!!! ?
Next you will be telling us you are a Transsexual
Razz Very Happy


LOL. I'm really gonna have to explain?
Ok I have two bikes, one is a hardtail, the other a long travel full sus.
The lockout on the hardtail is intermittent now since I took a fall on it some years ago. around £60 to replace. I've just left it on lockout, and I yes I've designated the Hardtail to road/cycle path riding and longer distances, just because I love cycling in general.

Then I use the full suss bike for actual days in bike parks/trail centers. I can't always visit these places as I'm not loaded with money and in general a day out riding can be pretty expensive when you factor in fuel, paying for an uplift service and everything else. Where as with the hard tail I can jump on it from my house and go pretty much anywhere (within reason) for next to nothing in most cases, but I still get the miles/fitness in on a bike.

Does that explanation count as a sufficient enough reason for why I'm doing what I'm doing?

Don't worry. I haven't shaved my legs and committed to wear skintight lycra


Laughing
That's explanation enough for me.
Nice looking bike btw,looks pretty tricked out

_________________
Dropper Posts Are For The Butt Hurt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MPX309



Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 770
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why thank you kind sir Smile
_________________
Trek Scratch Air 9
Giant Talon 3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doomanic



Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 547
Location: Evesham, Worcs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like a thinner version of the Crazy Bobs I use for commuting.
_________________
'96 Zaskar LE (now the wife's)
'98 Club Roost VCV (now the bro's)
'11 Camber FSR Comp (now the son's)
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MPX309



Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 770
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomanic wrote:
They look like a thinner version of the Crazy Bobs I use for commuting.


Bugger, why didn't I think of those? haha, na these are fine, originally I was after a 2.3" width, these are 2, but I figured it's ok more speed (hopefully)


_________________
Trek Scratch Air 9
Giant Talon 3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robmet



Joined: 04 Jan 2010
Posts: 1892

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done something similar from the other side of the fence and fitted my roadie with smaller 650b wheels so I could run fatter tyres to take it offroad.

We're a funny old bunch.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum