shifter help please
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: shifter help please Reply with quote

im in need of some new shifters, as the ones ive got on now are at the end of there life and realy sticky,

i only have 8 speed on my bike, but eventualy when i change everything over i want 9 speed

so can i run 9 speed shifters even though ive only got a 8 on the back???

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheldon Brown says 'No' Sad

Quotes that 9-speed units have 2.56mm spacers between sprockets and 8-speed have 3.00mm. You'll get some but not all of them. Sad

That having been said, you could do like I do and chop and swop sprockets. I recently made an 8-speed selection for a mate from a 7-speed by sanding down some 3.15mm spacers to 2.95mm - worked 100% perfectly.

Despite what Shimano say, you CAN do this kinda stuff, if you've the patience and tools. Cool
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh... Rolling Eyes
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty, has your father got a bench sander and a digital vernier gauge? That's what I use. Takes me about 2 minutes to grind down a spacer. I've got loads of spare sprockets between 11 and 30, if you need one.

Converted my mates 13/14/15/16/18/21/24 to 13/14/15/17/19/21/24/28 as the ol' fart can't quite get up some big hills around here in a 24 - any substitute for getting fitter and losing weight, he'll go for! Wink Very Happy
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no he hasnt but i no someone who could probalys sort it out

unless my rear wheel does take 9 speed and has got an extra spacer... will have to have a look
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could save you a fortune, if you do.

Tour de France mechanics actually make up cassettes for the riders for almost every stage, depending on the terrain and their ability on each particular road layout. Here's how to do it on the cheap.

Go to your LBS and ask them to keep back any throw-away cassettes, 7,8 or 9 speed. Say you're collecting for some local charity and offer them 20p cash for each one - they'll probably give them to you for nothing! Razz

No matter how shagged they are, you'll get at least 3-4 spacers and possibly one or two sprockets that work. More often than not, these cassettes are from some blokes bike who has only worn out his chain and one sprocket - the smallest one!

Grind down or unscrew the pins that usually hold the 5 largest sprockets together. You should be able to get most sprockets that you need from about 4 or 5 of these throw-away ones when combined with yours.

Get a chain wrench (chain-whip in the USA), a Shimano cassette tool and a 24mm (or adjustable) spanner. Then just swop thenm around to suit your needs, just like the T de F mechanics do.

Example - my road bike has 13/14/15/16/17/19/21/23 as usual but when I go to Wales with big hills, I change this to 13/14/15/16/17/20/24/28 or even 13/14/15/16/17/21/25/30 if I feel lazy. Same with mountain bike; anything between 11-21 or 11-32, despending on what I'm doing. Razz
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think i'll do that...

most of my courses are pritty flat, and with my gear restrictions i could need a few options for every race

also this will come in handy at races like the isle of man youth tour, were one stage could be flat, and the next hilly...

thanks for that advice Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: