Thank goodness for maxle's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nik Gnashers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Thank goodness for maxle's Reply with quote

I had a nice day at Dalby again, and apart from my damn headset making a clicking noise over bumps (stripped it down when I got home, the top bearing race was rusted to heck) .. I didn't notice any other issues with the bike.
I rode reasonably hard, did the red and a few black bits in 2hr19mins including a 5min stop halfway - so 2:14 for the actual ride which I'm happy with.
It was only as I got home, and lifted the bike off the carrier, that something felt loose when I put it down. Hmmm back wheel side-to-side movement, looked and saw the release level on the maxle was somehow in the 'released' position, and the maxle had screwed out slightly !!!!
The only thing I can think of, is : Dalby is pretty overgrown at the moment, with lots of foliage that you basically have to ride through. I'm guessing some big vine or similar has caught the level and pinged it open, without me noticing Smile
Never even noticed the back wheel was slightly loose either !
Just had a thought though, if that had been one of the old quick release spindles, well, I might not be typing right now due to a broken wrist !!!
Brilliant design, that held up to god only knows how many miles of red route without even being properly secure.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or similar has caught the level and pinged it open, without me noticing.................

Quote:
if that had been one of the old quick release spindles, well, I might not be typing right now due to a broken wrist !!!

Happened to me a few years ago on a fast downhill bit in Guisbro Woods. Shocked

Came round to find the headset and bars implanted in my chest and my front wheel totally mangled. Plenty of cuts and bruises, and I mean MEGA bruising to my chest. Long walk back to the car carrying the bike. Embarassed

Could have been so much worse though.

MPX309

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience too. . . Riding a climb after a tough DH section and happened to look at the back wheel and it was unscrewed by about 3 urm . . . notches?. Also similar to yours too my lever had worked it's way open.

Only that one occasion though. So yes Maxle's still rock!

Threevok

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are OK

I actually had this happen with a QR, on a previous bike and the results wasn't pretty (on me or the bike) and completely wrecked the back wheel.

Since then, I always have my QR's facing to the rear, to minimise the risk of them catching on anything

Robmet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threevok wrote:
Glad you are OK

I actually had this happen with a QR, on a previous bike and the results wasn't pretty (on me or the bike) and completely wrecked the back wheel.

Since then, I always have my QR's facing to the rear, to minimise the risk of them catching on anything

This^

When i very first started mounting biking we used to go into the hills with a youth MTB coach ran from the local council (still mates with him now) and one of the very first things he taught us was to do QR's with the lever pointing towards the rear of the bike so it didn't snag vegetation and be pulled open.
Nik Gnashers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies chaps,
I am lucky I guess, that I have never had an older quick release lever 'open' on me during a ride, but by your experiences I'm certainly glad it never happened to me.

My rear 'Maxle' which got 'opened' somehow, certainly saved my bacon, I honestly never even noticed it was slightly loose during my ride Very Happy

bigcoose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my release levers both pointing backwards to prevent them catching on stuff.dalby is awful when its overgrown cos you cant see far enough into the corners
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: