The Beast From The East!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mustard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: The Beast From The East! Reply with quote

I think this bitterly cold snow and ice fest has found my Mountain Biking limits - and the bike is non too pleased, either!

The Yorkshire Moors are impossible to ride off road, and the 'adventure' now is just trying to ride the now blocked minor roads and hills, which at least have a hard tarmac surface beneath the snow, provided you can actually tell where the ditches on either side are! Rolling Eyes

I'm not surprised I have them all to myself. I like to think some of us are not of this 'snowflake' generation, skulking indoors on those ridiculous torture contraptions, revelling in their 'rad to gnarness'!

But there are problems.I'm using up the old 26 Stumpy, to save the 29er, and the snow and extreme cold definitely affects the suspension, especially the front forks. (Stiff outside, but free back up indoors.) But the Stumpy generally copes well enough as long as you keep working the gears and brakes, and the bearings are well enough sealed and protected against the snow. The main problem is myself. When working hard in extreme cold temps, with high humidity, and gulping in great wide open mouthed gobfulls of said wet icy air, it tends to make my head spin, and I feel all kind of dizzy, with that, what the hell is going on type feeling! (Not to mention a sore dry throat.)

So how are others coping? Where are all these Yorkshire so called hard men? Not seeing many still about!! Laughing

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look carefully at the sides of many of the more exposed moor roads you will see wooden poles equidistant (equally spaced) along both sides of the road. If you manage to cycle keeping between these poles you will not run the risk of dropping into any ditches or getting lost, they are there to show where the route of the road is in just such a scenario as this, an aid if you like for the snowplough teams.

I worked in a small village called Castleton in the mid 70's and early 80's and when the weather was worse than this and it was not possible to cycle from M/bro, I had to get the bus to Lingdale and walk along the road to Lockwood Beck and on to Castleton, on some lucky days a passing tractor would stop and give me a lift on it's trailer. After ploughing it would not be able to see the moor from the road as the snow was piled that high.

Many was the time people were snowed in at the Lion Inn, a qauint pub on the Hutton le Hole road, for several days.

Have you considered wearing a "Balaclava" ?

Mustard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I wear a balaclava beneath the helmet, but in wind driven snow conditions it 'clogs up' when covering my mouth. and breathing hard with effort. Basically the problem is with age (80 last November) and being less tolerant to icy cold raw damp air in the lungs.

I plan tomorrow, with thicker snow and East gale forecast to start from Kilburn (should be able to drive to there with ploughs active) and chug my way up sheltered White Horse climb, before barging along the probably drifted roads towards Boltby bank top, then wherever possible from there.

I don't claim that riding in such conditions is for the fun of it. I just believe it is a personal challenge (as in earlier climbing days - because it's there motto) as though nature is saying to us, 'You're not going to get past me you puny little human.' Well, it's not getting away with that!

Of course, it's hardly any great feat as human endeavours go, but as Spike Milligan said, 'Everybody has to be somewhere!' So it will give me some satisfaction.(As will that giant flask of red hot tea waiting back in the car.)

So here's to tomorrow! Looking forward to it.
Mustard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proved impossible to get far on the bike. High wind was causing drifts with near white-out conditions on exposed parts of blocked minor roads. Tried hard, but forced to concede defeat.

Thankfully, I wasn't in biking gear (climbing gear apart from boots and crampons Wink ) so was well protected, but was forced to carry the bike more than I was able to ride it. Couldn't even PUSH it through the drifts. THen the gears started playing up!! (Frozen I expect.)

Never mind. Will be plenty of snow to compact nice and firmly, and the wind won't be blasting it about for ever. That,ll be more like it. Bring it on!! Laughing Laughing
Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local BBC news has just informed me that this is the worst snowfall in living memory..................... Confused Confused Confused Confused

I'm pretty confident that I have, over my many years, experienced much worse than this. Shocked

I'm also pretty confident that many years of "austerity" by local councils have led this to be the worst ever year for road clearance and maintenance.

Mustard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, right on both counts. I think the difference nowadays is that everything seems to depend on road transport, and travelling to work etc by car. Road blockages by snow are therefore seen as much more dramatic in effect, than it used to be in the past. Perhaps that BBC statement should have read, 'This is the worst snowfall EFFECT in living memory.' (The winters of 1947 and 1963 were longer, and more severe.)

I've been back out today on the old Stumpy (after a good oiling) over much the same ground as yesterday. White Horse Bank was just rideable (rutted snow and Land Rover tracks) and the top road past the glider station was easily (same Land Rover tracks) so, but the junction further up where the road turns left towards the Sutton Bank/Helmsley road was totally blocked by 3 to 4 foot high drifts. (The tracks were from the farm near there.)

The snow now seems to be less powdery and wind blown, and is firming up nicely. (Thicker and more sticky.) Fingers crossed it will harden on the surface, and those artificial 'mountains will be fully rideable - as long as a blasted thaw doesn't set in!

Now that would be fantastic. Please please don't spoil it weather Gods!!!!!!
Magnus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are my ice tyres. in snow and ice, they stick like baby poo to a nappy but sooo hard work to pedal.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-ice-spiker-pro-winter-tyre -raceguard/rp-prod123204?gs=1&pgrid=38385006362&ptaid=aud-111606984796  :pla-142864372368&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reac tion-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Generic+Desktop&utm_medium=base &utm_content=mkwid|s4cIiNmeg_dc|pcrid|161846550664|pkw||pmt||prd|44247 4UK

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
These are my ice tyres. in snow and ice, they stick like baby poo to a nappy but sooo hard work to pedal.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-ice-spiker-pro-winter-tyre -raceguard/rp-prod123204?gs=1&pgrid=38385006362&ptaid=aud-111606984796  :pla-142864372368&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reac tion-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Generic+Desktop&utm_medium=base &utm_content=mkwid|s4cIiNmeg_dc|pcrid|161846550664|pkw||pmt||prd|44247 4UK

I imagine the narrower width would be better.
45 sheets but they look the business.

Magnus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are amazing on ice. When pumped up hard the spikes really bite, it gives so much confidence I forget that I am on anything but tarmac.

on snow, they are only slightly better than ordinary knoblys. on tarmac they are horrid and work best at a softer tyre pressure, so the studds sink back into the rubber(if that makes sense) but there is no way you would deliberately use them on tarmac unless it was between patches of ice, or you were expecting ice or snow.

Thursday and Friday last week I was overtaking everything, including cars
Cool Cool

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pair of Nokian tyres back in the day and they were pretty good.
Cost me an arm and a leg and they didn't see much service.They ended up being a bargaining tool when I sold my Pro-Flex 10 years ago to a guy in the Highlands who I imagine would need them more than me!!! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: