The Five...that became a Pig...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kennedy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: The Five...that became a Pig... Reply with quote

So I got bored of the Mongoose Teocali I had, great bike but got tired of battling bearings etc. Decided I wanted less hassle so went for a five...a nice subtle one...

Absolutely hated the hope brakes on it, made more noise than anything else so swapped them out for some Deores which I'd only just bought for the Teocali. Miles better!

After a few rides I realised the triple ring set up wasn't for me (having had an slx double and bash on the Teocali). Whipped the big ring off and put a bash on..

Ran like this for a while then decided the wheels were too Orange...and the hope pro 2 hub was starting to grate on me a bit with the racket it makes. New wheel time!

and fitted...

Went 1x10 basically at the same time with a Superstar 32T narrow wide chainring, Saint shifter, Zee Mech and XT cassette. Suits the bike much better and don't feel like i'm struggling too much. Sometimes when it gets really steep I curse myself a bit but it just forces me to dig in and get on with it!

Next desire was a dropper...so all the way from the lovely folks at Jenson USA came my KS Lev with its little carbon remote. Routed the cable where the front mech used to run. The remote replaces one of the lockrings on the grip.

Next victim was the fork, had never really been too ken on the fox fork on it so I got my hands on a set of Rockshox Sektor Dual Position Coils. Slightly more travel at 150mm, and slightly altered the geometry with a longer axle to crown. All for the better in my view and I much prefer them to the Fox's that were on it.

This is the bike almost as it stands just now... have swapped the saddle since as my a**e just coundn't agree with the Superstar one... I've also got new bearings sitting waiting to go in once they are needed with little gold end caps! Still not 100% happy with the RP23 on the rear, thinking maybe a trip to get TF Tuned might help...

Might ditch the bash guard next as I don't think its doing a great deal any more, the 32T ring is too small to be much of an issue I think.

I'd recommend anybody that has a five and is considering going 1x10 to do it. Feels like it makes total sense. I also noticed a big difference moving to a clutch mech, so much less chain noise.

Last edited by Kennedy on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
KiliScott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one. Sad

Lovely bike, it's the only full Suss I want when I can spare some dollar and sweet talk the mrs.

Look foward to future upgrades and updates to the thread. Cool

cheap as chips

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!!! needs a black seat mind Cool

one day your life will flash before your eyes,
....make sure its worth watching.
cheap as chips

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and black grips

one day your life will flash before your eyes,
....make sure its worth watching.
mars-bar-man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!!

Another Five! Few choices there I've loved! 1x10 is an excellent choice for a 5! Mine's running that atm, absolute beaut of a bike now. I just need to colour coordinate a little better (get rid of the orange narrow wide and red bash and go black throughout).

Are you still thinking of getting the RP23 tuned? Myself? I'm thinking of ditching it and going down the CaneCreek route.
Big-Al

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice choices there.

I would love to go 2 ring or even single ring but still need to use the granny ring. but as for those wheels I have been looking at them for sometime now but cant warrant spending the money when mine still go round. Are they man enough to be jumped around on?

Sometimes wished I had pushed the boat a little bit more when I got mine and gone for the 160mm forks, another thing for the future.

Once I learn to stay on it, may be all this will come fruition.

OpenedFace

Big-Al's videos for all to view
Fidius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice ride mate Wink
Kennedy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the comments lads!

I've got a black saddle on it now, looks a lot better and doesn't destroy my a**e, which is nice.

Black grips are in the post too...

The wheels are fantastic mate, stiff, smooth and quiet. I'm far from gentle on the bike and they are still perfect. I'll keep bashing them in and see how they go. I'm yet to shift to tubeless but even with DH tubes in them they seem really light.

The 150mm fork is nice, the biggest difference is probably switching to coil and having decent lock out. I don't really drop them to 120mm for climbing, seems a faff!

I have looked at the cane creek shock, read some amazing reviews but I'm not sure how well it'd pedal? It's more aimed at behaving coming down and not ploughing through the travel so bad?

I love the bike but I'm doing my usual and now I've got to this point I'm getting itchy feet for a ragley blue pig or something...
AlexD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice just built a five myself loving the CB iodines why you want a blue pig over this I am not quite sure but each to their own Very Happy

I am looking at replacing the fox float CTD with a CC DB. air CS or an inline CS as the fox doesn't suit the five single pivot at all. I am going to try some volume spacers but I am not holding by breath.

Kennedy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a hankering for some hardtail fun. The five is fantastic, and incredibly capable but I sometimes feel like a full suss makes me lazy as I know I can just plough over/off something and it'll probably be fine! HT keeps you on your toes and possibly a**e/face...!

I've actually just bought a blue pig frame, going to ride that while I get the last bits on the five sorted i.e bearings and possible powdercoat, and sort something better for the rear shock. I don't even have CTD, its just an RP23 with propedal which just doesn't seem good enough. I'm going to do some investigation as to how much better a push tune would make it...
Kennedy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So while I do the bearings and decide what (if anything) to do with the rear shock I've built the Ragley up. Had a first blast on it yesterday and loved, great fun and feels very capable indeed, if anything I had more fun than I've had on the five in some time...

GrantBH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet ! Jealous of both bikes ! And those wheels look super cool !
Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, but more pictures. Wink
Kennedy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Five is back up and running. New floating rotors and a large volume spacer in the rear shock. Made a nice difference, a lot happier with how the bike behaves now! Took Friday off work and did Inners in the morning then Glen Tress in the afternoon. Fair to say i'm not fit enough for that at the moment really but survived it... The bike felt great down Inners compared to the blue pig, which is good, but rough!

Decided to just route the rear brake on top of the swingarm, couldn't be bothered with the hassle of cutting the hose etc to route it.

Next step is to set up tubeless, also quite tempted by the carbon haven bar...

letmein

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a carbon haven bar on my Five mate and they felt totally wrong. Not sure why, but they didnt feel right and I got sore hands. Swapped them for Renthals and problem sorted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: