The Missus bought me a new dropper post...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Attila



Joined: 15 May 2015
Posts: 417
Location: Forest of Dean

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarnaptiousB'Stard wrote:

The only glitch is your missus's purchase(dropper)
I had one for about a month,and I never used it once.Down or Uphill,and I would be surprised if anyone uses it to fulll effect.
I knocked 60 quid off it and Gumtreed its ass.
So unnecessary it beggars belief.


Confused Confused Confused

My dropper post is up and down like a whores drawers every time I'm on the bike. It is by far and away the biggest single improvement to a mountain bike I have experienced in the 22ish years I've been mountain biking. As soon as the trail starts to drop and you stand up, get the saddle out of the way and improve your control of the bike.

Each to their own of course but that comment really confused me.

_________________
It's not the big that eat the small, but the fast that eat the slow...

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
KTM540



Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Posts: 1694
Location: Mudlands

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ +1

Fantastic bit of kit the dropper !?

_________________
2015 Nukeproof Mega AM Pro 275 (upgrades)
2013 Trek Fuel EX (1x10 and upgraded)
Specialized Hardrock (1x10 for road mileage, built from scratch and goin strong!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doomanic



Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 547
Location: Evesham, Worcs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what you're saying, but over washboard surfaces I actually grip the saddle with my thighs to increase control of the bike.
_________________
'96 Zaskar LE (now the wife's)
'98 Club Roost VCV (now the bro's)
'11 Camber FSR Comp (now the son's)
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Attila



Joined: 15 May 2015
Posts: 417
Location: Forest of Dean

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomanic wrote:
I get what you're saying, but over washboard surfaces I actually grip the saddle with my thighs to increase control of the bike.


That's an interesting comment, how do you feel the control is improved?

On rougher terrain I try to let the bike move around as much as possible underneath me, using my arms and legs as additional suspension and pumping it through compressions etc. I find that if you lock yourself to the bike its harder to react to sudden changes of direction or drops, by staying loose and relaxed I feel more in control.

I'm not saying I'm right by the way, just what works for me.

_________________
It's not the big that eat the small, but the fast that eat the slow...

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doomanic



Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 547
Location: Evesham, Worcs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just that it stops the saddle battering my thighs, it's only something I really noticed when I used the dropper. Confused
I only do it on very high frequency, small stuff. On the big whoops and drops I al also use my arms and legs as extra suspension.

_________________
'96 Zaskar LE (now the wife's)
'98 Club Roost VCV (now the bro's)
'11 Camber FSR Comp (now the son's)
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CarnaptiousB'Stard



Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 226
Location: Thorntonhall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
CarnaptiousB'Stard wrote:

The only glitch is your missus's purchase(dropper)
I had one for about a month,and I never used it once.Down or Uphill,and I would be surprised if anyone uses it to fulll effect.
I knocked 60 quid off it and Gumtreed its ass.
So unnecessary it beggars belief.


Confused Confused Confused

My dropper post is up and down like a whores drawers every time I'm on the bike. It is by far and away the biggest single improvement to a mountain bike I have experienced in the 22ish years I've been mountain biking. As soon as the trail starts to drop and you stand up, get the saddle out of the way and improve your control of the bike.

Each to their own of course but that comment really confused me.


I tried it and thought best to ditch it .It seemed an expensive unnecessary evil in the end adding weight and maintenance.
In 24 years doing this sh*t,you just know what height to put your seat so you don't squash yer bo***cks

Very Happy
You have been doing it almost as long as me,how did you survive not banging your pills all that time ?
Instinct and correct seat placement I imagine.
I see them like 3D Television.Sure ,it's a great thing at the time,but the novelty soon wears off.And the thought of everyone looking like dicks watching TV with big glasses on,sinks in as a stupid idea.
I expect people won't bother with that little extra lever over time.
Roll on the next new innovation!!!!! Razz

_________________
Dropper Posts Are For The Butt Hurt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Attila



Joined: 15 May 2015
Posts: 417
Location: Forest of Dean

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarnaptiousB'Stard wrote:

You have been doing it almost as long as me,how did you survive not banging your pills all that time ?
Instinct and correct seat placement I imagine.


By stopping to drop the saddle when it gets steep or technical, then putting it back up to the correct height afterwards. The dropper post means I can do the same without having to stop.

I raced XC when I was at school, at the time I tried to find a 'happy medium' seat post position where I could pedal efficiently but still move around the bike unimpeded (stopping while racing is a big no no Laughing ). I ended up with a muscular issue in my right knee where my leg wasn't being extended properly, this pulled my kneecap out of position and has ground most of the cartilage out. I now have Osteo Arthritis as a result.

Having a dropper post means I can pedal properly without risk of further injury and get the saddle out of the way quickly if I need to without stopping. I've just bought a 2nd hand XC hardtail for winter training, a dropper post will be my first upgrade for it...

_________________
It's not the big that eat the small, but the fast that eat the slow...

'15 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp 29er
'14 Claud Butler Torino SR4
'14 Whyte 629
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KTM540



Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Posts: 1694
Location: Mudlands

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the majority of the riding you do tends be "off road leisure cycling" type stuff, or general XC/trails .. then no, there's really no need for the added expense etc, and the benefits not recognised, tho the more techy the terrain, and especially the drops/descents you tackle, or tackle with more confidence I should say, a dropper starts to make more sense ..

The industry has been pretty quick to recognise this for bikes over a certain price bracket, realising that the majority of riders looking at bikes in that range can see the benefits, and expect it as standard equipment now

I only have a dropper on one bike, the other has now been relegated to softer duties, as it was starting to get a bit of a hammering, which is where the longer travel, dropper equipped bike made a lot of sense and was worth every penny for that reason Very Happy

_________________
2015 Nukeproof Mega AM Pro 275 (upgrades)
2013 Trek Fuel EX (1x10 and upgraded)
Specialized Hardrock (1x10 for road mileage, built from scratch and goin strong!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CarnaptiousB'Stard



Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 226
Location: Thorntonhall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
CarnaptiousB'Stard wrote:

You have been doing it almost as long as me,how did you survive not banging your pills all that time ?
Instinct and correct seat placement I imagine.


By stopping to drop the saddle when it gets steep or technical, then putting it back up to the correct height afterwards. The dropper post means I can do the same without having to stop.

I raced XC when I was at school, at the time I tried to find a 'happy medium' seat post position where I could pedal efficiently but still move around the bike unimpeded (stopping while racing is a big no no Laughing ). I ended up with a muscular issue in my right knee where my leg wasn't being extended properly, this pulled my kneecap out of position and has ground most of the cartilage out. I now have Osteo Arthritis as a result.

Having a dropper post means I can pedal properly without risk of further injury and get the saddle out of the way quickly if I need to without stopping. I've just bought a 2nd hand XC hardtail for winter training, a dropper post will be my first upgrade for it...

Ah right ,it makes sense then.
I take all your points guys on board.Like yourselves,I ride pretty damn hard.
I suppose how we do it matters not,with whatever equipment

_________________
Dropper Posts Are For The Butt Hurt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CarnaptiousB'Stard



Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 226
Location: Thorntonhall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM540 wrote:
If the majority of the riding you do tends be "off road leisure cycling" type stuff, or general XC/trails .. then no, there's really no need for the added expense etc, and the benefits not recognised, tho the more techy the terrain, and especially the drops/descents you tackle, or tackle with more confidence I should say, a dropper starts to make more sense ..

The industry has been pretty quick to recognise this for bikes over a certain price bracket, realising that the majority of riders looking at bikes in that range can see the benefits, and expect it as standard equipment now

I only have a dropper on one bike, the other has now been relegated to softer duties, as it was starting to get a bit of a hammering, which is where the longer travel, dropper equipped bike made a lot of sense and was worth every penny for that reason Very Happy


See above Very Happy

_________________
Dropper Posts Are For The Butt Hurt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doomanic



Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 547
Location: Evesham, Worcs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New grips fitted today; Ergon GE1 Enduro. Hopefully I'll get to try them out tomorrow.

I also fitted 3 volume reducers to the rear shock. Should make it more progressive. Dead simple to do as well. Smile

_________________
'96 Zaskar LE (now the wife's)
'98 Club Roost VCV (now the bro's)
'11 Camber FSR Comp (now the son's)
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doomanic



Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 547
Location: Evesham, Worcs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a change I went to Cannock Chase today and Followed the Dog and Spanked the Monkey.

Start of the Monkey







_________________
'96 Zaskar LE (now the wife's)
'98 Club Roost VCV (now the bro's)
'11 Camber FSR Comp (now the son's)
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doomanic



Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 547
Location: Evesham, Worcs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also decided that I like my climbs how I like my women; short and easy...

I also like my descents how I like my women; curvy and lumpy.

_________________
'96 Zaskar LE (now the wife's)
'98 Club Roost VCV (now the bro's)
'11 Camber FSR Comp (now the son's)
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gunner



Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 29328
Location: Under Whitestone-Cliffe on the Lake.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
Your poison letter, your telegram, just goes to show you don't give a damn!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Doomanic



Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 547
Location: Evesham, Worcs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the FoD today to ride some more familiar trails and play with the suspension settings (which didn't happen...)
Did two laps of the Verderers and started the Red (which has changed a lot since I last did it) but had to bail when my Sciatica flared up. Crying or Very sad





And finally, just to scare the younger forumites, a sweaty fat bloke...

_________________
'96 Zaskar LE (now the wife's)
'98 Club Roost VCV (now the bro's)
'11 Camber FSR Comp (now the son's)
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Readers Rides All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum