thinking of rebuilding a GT avalanche
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billyboy_1981

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: thinking of rebuilding a GT avalanche Reply with quote

Hey all, im in the process of collecting parts to rebuild my 2011 GT avalanche 3.0 that i stripped the parts off to build another bike.
standard forks were suntour xcm 100mm . would 120mm be too big? is it ok to have a bit more travel?
what gearing would you all recommend? came with 3x8 but unsure what to go for.
It will be used for trail centres and the likes (carron valley, glentress etc)
with the amount of changes to new bikes its getting harder to decide if i should go 2x10, 1x10 etc.
first up will be a home done custom paint job. then once ive decided what parts im using i will collect as and when i see a good deal or have extra cash.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Threevok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

120mm will be fine

I've built two Avalanches up using a set of adjustable (80mm -130mm) Rockshox Tora 318 forks (now on my Inbred) and had them set at 120mm for off-road (80mm for commute)

If you can get you hands on a second hand set of them, they are great (although somewhat heavy) as you can swap them from frame to frame without worrying too much about travel

I built both as 3x10 which was the cheapest option using decent parts

billyboy_1981

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks threevok, i'll keep an eye out for a set of them. im not in a rush to build it so i can wait till i see a good deal.
i'll probably go 3x9 as i have a set of shifters and front mech also parts are cheap, i just wasnt sure if i was missing something because a lot of new bikes are 1x10 1x11 etc but 3x9 worked fine before so im happy with that.

biggest goal for the summer is getting out on the trails.

Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyboy_1981 wrote:

i'll probably go 3x9 as i have a set of shifters and front mech also parts are cheap,

Good idea, I'm just in the process of "renovating" my GT Avalanche 3.0, and the parts are just so cheap.

i.e.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SR-Suntour-CW-XCT-T312-22-32-42T-Chainset_897 32.htm?sku=310398&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google _shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1YHXuo2R4AIVzZztCh0jdwX9EAQYAiABEgJ6HPD_Bw E#

Was a great bike as standard in my opinion so why mess with it.

billyboy_1981

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gunner, i loved my gt avalanche 3.0 and got it for £100 so was a steal. over the winter last year it sat in the shed and the forks rusted on the uppers and i had a carrera vulcan frame i bought years ago and had it powdercoated and bought marzocchi forks and had them painted.
so i borrowed some parts from the gt to build the carrera just because i had the frame, its nice to ride but i miss the GT.
So its time to paint the GT and start sourcing new parts. i enjoy building bikes almost as much as riding them.
plus i enjoy bargain hunting for parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Mountain Biking Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: