Trying to get fit biking help and advice please
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Focus05

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Trying to get fit biking help and advice please Reply with quote

yhhjhhhhh

Last edited by Focus05 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Focus05

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjgjgfj

Last edited by Focus05 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about spinning classes, really good for fitness and calories burning.
PulledByAMalamute

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be time to step up the riding, getting more vigorous and more pace. Free phone apps like Strava and Endomondo will help you there. Push yourself on a couple of runs, get more of a sweat on. That with the right eating (time, quantity and quality) and you'll shift more.

Previous bikes
- Canyon Torque EX Vertride (2014)
- Canyon Nerve AM 6 (2012)
Focus05

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo wrote:
Have you thought about spinning classes, really good for fitness and calories burning.

i will look in to this

PulledByAMalamute wrote:
Might be time to step up the riding, getting more vigorous and more pace. Free phone apps like Strava and Endomondo will help you there. Push yourself on a couple of runs, get more of a sweat on. That with the right eating (time, quantity and quality) and you'll shift more.

yes you are right time to step up the riding, i have a bryton rider 35 not sure how to use it right i will look at the apps

the right eating, time? quantity? and what? i could do with your help there when and what to eat?

many thanks for your time look forwards to your responce

mark
giantAstax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on your start. Having lost over 5 stone in 15 months myself I can tell you from experience that its pretty much 100% diet control that shifts the weight and not exercise. Exercise is good as it helps with lean muscle retention/building and fitness. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn for the same effort. It also helps suppress appetite.

With the size you are you might want to get a check over at the docs before your get into this properly. And be prepared for it to be tough for the first few months but don't despair as it will become easier as time goes on. Honest. Very Happy

I'd go for weight loss first and your fitness will improve as you exercise. You'll be amazed how easier it all become after you drop 10% in body weight, then 20% etc.

What I did wast to join a gym and find a personal trainer. I also had a training buddy, my wife, who actually did better than I did and won an award at the gym for 2011/12. She lost over 6 stone and from a lower starting point. But you can do it on your own.

You need to exercise properly at least 3 times a week, ideally moving to 4 or 5 times a week but no more and try if you can to start the day with a decent breakfast and ideally no eating after 7pm. Finish each day with a 60/90 minute brisk walk if you can - every day. The trick is keeping your metabolism going from first thing right through the day. I was advised to eat 6 small meals a day but I never managed to cope with this - I just ended up eating too much.

Mix up the exercises you do as your body soon gets used to it and you'll stop improving. I found rowing. spinning, cross trainers and boxing/pads to be best. Most gym sessions were around an hour and the aim was to get the HR up and keep it up throughout the session. This needs some management initially as excess weight causes havoc with HR. Oh and get yourself a HR monitor. You don't need to get anal about it and there are options from £50 to £500 so there's one for every budget.

In the gym, use spinning a lot as it is low impact and you're not fighting your weight all the time, Do mix resistance with cardio (use weights) as this will ensure you burn calories over an extended period even after you finish training and its better than just doing weights and cardio.

If you can't use a gym you can do this at home and on your bike, walking and using your own body weight. Squats, press-ups, triceps dips, you can use cans of beans etc as small weights. Get yourself an exercise mat and an exercise ball.

Whatever, don't overdo it and DO NOT OVERTRAIN or else you risk injury (yep I managed that several times). Also, there's more benefit from shorter intensive exercise than 'keeping in your fat burning zone' as overall the former burns more calories and typically more fat whereas the latter does the opposite and takes a lot longer too to achieve the same 'burn'.

As you start to lose weight you'll be able to push your body harder and those endorphins will kick in (or at least they did for the wife and I) and then it'll get easier. You need to grow to love DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) because if you work hard you'll start to ache but again this will be manageable and I started to really enjoy it.

As for diet, thisnis the most important this and start by watching your portion size. If you are like I was, you'll have become used to eating 3 to 4 times the size of portion you need - I kid you not. Get a smaller dinner plate and don't ever fill it. If you are hungry shortly after eating that's a good sign and shows your body is starting to adapt as your stomach shrinks. Most times, hunger is a sign of thirst so have a drink of water before you succumb to eating as often this works. Ideally, when you eat, do so at a table and undistracted from TV etc. Eat slowly and check everything properly as this gives your body/brain chance to say 'I'm full'. Try to always leave something on your plate and eat your fav stuff first not last.

I cut out nearly all carbs, certainly no bread, potatoes, pasta, cereals or rice. Get most of your carbs from veg and broccoli is a wonder food as are mushrooms. Avoid sauces and the like unless you can control what's in them.

Also, if you count calories remember all calories are not equal. Avoid high GI foods as they will give you an insulin spike which reduces blood sugar level which you dont want and it also inhibits your body's ability to use those carbs as it will tend to lead to storing carbs as fat - which is exactly what you don't want!

Eat a balanced diet but lower carbs, even at the risk of increasing fat intake as it's carbs that cause most of the issues. Don't overdo the proteign either if you want to lose weight.

I cut out all snacks (crisps, nuts etc) and stopped drinking alcohol. If you're a coffee drinker avoid latte and other full fat drinks. Avoid 'fat' fizzy drinks completely and if you must have low cal limit those too. Drink water.

Watch fruit too as high fructose intake causes insulin spikes so just 1 apple a day and if you have orange juice it must be a small glass and not made from concentrate. There are some useful apps out there. If you have an iPhone there's mynetdiary which I used.

Finally, you'll need to accept a change of lifestyle and shift in habits. If you don't, you'll just end up dieting and then putting it all (and some) back on again. And remember there's no fast fix but keep at it and you'll get where you want to.

Good luck.
jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry giant could you give a little more detail Wink
Obviously you have plenty of time to type with a bad back Sad

Focus05

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are the best time to eat and should you eat before or after cycling ?
Focus05

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if im to cut out the rice and pasta and bread

please may i have some meal ideas as im always stuck on that...

thanks
giantAstax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo wrote:
Sorry giant could you give a little more detail Wink
Obviously you have plenty of time to type with a bad back Sad

No, I just made the time as this guy needs some help and you skinny fkers have no idea how tough this is to do, especially when you first start. I was lucky as I had the help of a brilliant personal trainer but they are hard to find and very expensive

As for the back problems, I am still working, I just need to keep moving around and can't stay sitting for too long at a time. Also not allowed to drive at the mo because of the cocaine and crystal meth pain killers.

Focus05 wrote:
So what are the best time to eat and should you eat before or after cycling ?

I'm no expert but I have been through a similar weight loss program as I said. Start with a good breakfast ideally with protein included if poss.

Reasonable lunch ideally 3 to 4 hours before exercise.

Decent and balanced post exercise meal within 1 hour of finishing exercise.

Focus05 wrote:
so if im to cut out the rice and pasta and bread

please may i have some meal ideas as im always stuck on that...

thanks

There's loads of low carb diets out there, Oily fish is good (salmon, tuna, sardines etc). chicken and turkey is good, red meats are fine (they have loads of iron). Just make sure you get the balance right. You normally should have no more protein at one sitting than the size of an average fist.

Home made soups are great too. Stir-frys are good but avoid anything but olive oil for frying as the body struggles to digest a lot of vegetable oils.

Don't eat anything processed, eat as much that's fresh as possible and no takeaways. Avoid too many high fructose fruits and not too many bananas (though they are great to take on a ride) but eat loads of berries - strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are very good. Melon not so good. You can eat nuts but eat unsalted unroasted nuts but be aware they are very high in calories so we talking 6 or maybe a dozen almonds or pistachios not a whole packet.

As for fat, there's a strong argument to cut protein (a little) and carbs (a lot) and increase fat intake but that's controversial. You deprive your body of carbs and it will burn fat.

An app like mynetdiary will tell you if you are getting low on vitamins too.

Like I said, this is based on personal experience and I am no expert but it did work form me.
Focus05

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks giant for your support I'll take a look at the apps
Focus05

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PulledByAMalamute wrote:
Free phone apps like Strava and Endomondo will help you there.

I think the apps do what my bryton rider GPS does Wink
Focus05

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

went out this morning for a ride here is the mapMy Ride Map bigger ride tomorrow all been well....
Focus05

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the double posting I'm seem to be talking to my self Wink

Getting ready for a 30mile ride and its wet at the moment

I'll report back later...

Happy Father's Day to you dads..
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus05 wrote:
Apologies for the double posting I'm seem to be talking to my self Wink

We're listening. Wink

And waiting to hear how the 30 miler goes. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: