Fox DHX 4 - Setting Sag
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Fox DHX 4 - Setting Sag Reply with quote

I've been trying to stop pedal to ground contact on my Giant Reign X0 and had resolved to fit shorter (165mm) crank arms.

Without admitting any liability on my part, I thought I would just ask for advice - to double check that I'd fettled this DHX 4 shock correctly...!

Weighing in at 200lbs I have added 220 psi to the shock and then I think 160 or 170 to the boost valve (not totally sure what this does). When I sit on the bike it drops around 20mm if I sit careful. When riding I nearly always push off the sag o-ring and the bike feel like it sits down at the back - but it's got 6.7" travel so I pretty much expected that. I'm reluctant to add more pressure, as I don't want to stiffen the ride.

I'd appreciate any advice - thanks Smile

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
jim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duno about your shock but mine has a rebound ajuster, and if the rebound is set too slow the shock does not have time to return to normal position before the next bump, thus bottoming out and pushing the o-ring off/right down.
Dave F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, you may have a point - I think the rebound is set as fast as it will go, but I'll double check.

I aqlso downloaded the Fox manual for the DHX Air shock today and will start at the beginning again to see if I've missed anything vital (wouldn't surprise me!)

Cheers,

Dave
mr-marty-martin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe just give fox a quick email, just to make sure Wink
matt.will

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a different shock altogether (Manitiu Swinger 3-Way) but I'll sometimes run my VT with 35%-40% sag (which is getting a bit far into freeride/DH territory for me perhaps!) and it'll catch its pedals quite a bit - on one occasion enough to send me flying - and lose its O ring (though it doesn't bottom out as such due to the ramp up at the very end of the stroke)

I suspect you've got your shock set up OK - the answer for both mine and your bike is probably shorter cranks and a bit of acceptance that you're gonna catch your pedals more with that sort of bike/low slung set-up.
Dave F

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right Matt, but I love riding the bike, so I'll just have to learn how to ride!

I've just fitted 165mm crankarms but haven't been on any singletrack to test it. I can still climb OK though, just seems bit more spinning with the two-ring set up on the front Embarassed

I also checked the air pressure and I think I'd set the sag a little low (was running at around 20mm, but it should be 12.5mm - and the boost valve had lost pressure too!
paulb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, not to sure if DHX4 is same as my DHX5 but I can only put 200psi in mine or I'll blow the seals!!!!!

Lower the air pressure play with the compression control on yours (need a 4mm allen key) and this should help set the sag ok.

They take a little while to set up but when your there it'll be spot on Wink
Dave F

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mate, the 4 is a bit different from the 5 (not as good is what I've read in most places - why sell a better after-market version and use a poorer OEM version without bottom-out adjustment??)

I think I've fettled it now - a bit more pressure and less sag. I think the bike just has a low BB and I'm going to have to live with it Rolling Eyes

Might need to have a chat with you at some time too, as I'm toying with the idea of building a Transition - but which one is the question? How do you rate your Preston versus a Bottlerocket? Or what about a Covert ?

Would you think it'd be best to go and see the lad at Ride Central???
paulb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOO, thats a good one, as an all round bike the covert is way the best, lighter more agile and single track friendly. The preston is more freeridie but no-where as manoeuvrable as the Covert and not as much travel where as the Bottlerocket is an all out freeride/jump and huck bike and also a good way to get you into A&E, not to be used as a crosscountry bike as after an hour you'll be f*ck*d.

For me the best choice is the Covert having had all 3.

Paul
paulb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want we can arrange a meet and you can try out the covert if you want?

just let me know

Paul Cool
Dave F

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info Paul, I like the look of the Preston and the Covert but it's hard to make a decision from the Transition website (I couldn't quite recall what you were riding at Hamsterley - just remembered the nice paint-job!)

Thanks for the offer of a go on yours, I'd appreciate that. I'm not in a mad rush (my lovely wife is all too aware that I've only just bought the Giant Crying or Very sad ) so I'm sure we'll meet up along the way. I'm hoping to come over to Guizzy next week - will drop you a note.

Thanks again... Wink

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: