Upgrade From V to Disc brakes
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
safairclough

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Upgrade From V to Disc brakes Reply with quote

I am thinking of upgrading my V brakes to disc brakes. I have a Commencal Normal and have checked the Commencal Normal Disc spec and they have Avid BB5 brakes.

I don't want to upgrade to hydraulics and would prefer to keep my current levers and shifters would I be able to buy the Avid BB5's and fit to my existing levers?

The spec on my bike states 'Alex double wall rims laced onto Shimano disc ready hubs' does this mean I don't need to make any further changes?

And also would the Avid BB5's be a good choice or do you have any better suggestions?

Thanks.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
tomlevell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that will be fine.

Avids have a good rep for cable discs as do Shimano.

New cables and outers needed obviously.

It's worth looking at the cost of some of the cheaper hydraulic brakes like Shimano Deore and LX. VEry good brakes that can be had quite cheap as a full set.
badblood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second the hydraulic route, very good deals at Merlincycles to be had

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to go down the hydraulic route would my current shifters just fit onto the new brake levers or would I need new shifters?
BigBadJohn118

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomlevell wrote:
Yes that will be fine.

Avids have a good rep for cable discs as do Shimano.

New cables and outers needed obviously.

It's worth looking at the cost of some of the cheaper hydraulic brakes like Shimano Deore and LX. VEry good brakes that can be had quite cheap as a full set.

I had Avid Juicy 3 disk brakes and they wer pissing out fluid everywere, they went all soft and spongey when i tipped the bike up in the air to go through some bars that are put down our local route to stop lads on motor bikes flying through. they are a waist of time.

Shimano Deore Brakes are awsome they don't go soft,spongey, leak or anything , mine are about 6yo and can still stop deadly, they can stop my dad and he is 21stone of Pure Muscle Very Happy Either Deore or Lx is fine Can't Fault Any of them

The Avids i had Wer Nothing But Trouble,Caused me alot of arguements with my dad, he says i'm heavy on the brakes and i'm ALWAYS using them for no Reason Shocked . Yet the Shimano Deore i have had for 6 years have still got the same pads in and have plenty of life left in them.

the avids , i only had them for about 5 month and the pads in them have nothing left on them Wink

Shimano Rules ! Cool

Specialized M4 FSR XC PRO Fox RL120,XTR groupset besides the crank that's LX & XT Wheels.

IG @steelcitykeego & FB John SteelCity Keegan.
badblood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it all depends if your shifters have separate clamp to fasten them to the bars, if they do then they will work with any brake lever.

These come highly recommended and they are at a good price:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1450&categoryId=11 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are 1 unit and not seperate, I've found these they look like the shifters are part of the unit. Do you know if they are universal ie my existing gear cables will fit them?

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=15&categoryId=115

badblood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your gear cables will fit fine, although it does depend what you front and rear mech are, if they are Shimano then you will be fine, although you might just want to buy some separate shifters and go with the SLX brakes as it gives you more fine tuning ability for lever position. SLX Levers for 37 a pair, will give you a very good quality set up and you can then play about with the positions of the shifters and levers to suit your own riding style. Additionally, dual control only seem to be used by a few people as they a very much love or hate and it is quite easy to miss shift when you are braking.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with badblood, "dual control" is either loved or hated. Personally I would not use dual control...I would go singlespeed first!

There's some real fans of hydraulic brakes on here...

But don't be (necassarily) put off...There's abolutely NOTHING wrong with a decent set of avid cable/mechanical disks... I use them and I love them. Hydraulics (imho) are more trouble than they're worth.

You can buy bb brakes from avid, and keep your existing levers (V brake & cable disk use the same levers). You'll need new cables - decent cables will make the brakes feel/work better.

Over a few years usage, the mechanical brakes will have fewer problems, won;t leak oil, and be field-servicable (no workshop tools or fluids needed).

Any minor improvements hydraulics have in performance are negated by the additional hassle and reliability issues... Decent mechanical brakes will still offer plenty of braking and will be a big improvement over your V's.

If you ever want to take your (hydraulic-braked) bike abroad (by plane), you're also supposed to drain the fluid out first...

badblood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, have to disagree there, I have used 5 different sets of hydros over the years and had no reliability issues with them. as long as they are set up properly and you don't faff on with them they are fit and forget items. Cable discs will suffer from cable stretch initially and can snap when out. I agree that they are a lot better than they used to be but especially in this kind of weather you need to maintain the cables, you also don't get as much modulation with cables and 1 finger braking takes a bit more effort. for the money, I would go with hydros every day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyrdos for me mate, onli probs i have had is with SRAMS Avid Juicy Brakes. The juicys i had on me Xc Pro wer from Bike seen and came standerd on it, My Shimano Deorer Brakes came from Halfords 6 Years ago on my Gt and are still like new. Xtr now Wink
Specialized M4 FSR XC PRO Fox RL120,XTR groupset besides the crank that's LX & XT Wheels.

IG @steelcitykeego & FB John SteelCity Keegan.
safairclough

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that I will roll with (no pun intended) the cable system at the minute with this being my first bike and no 'serious' off roading use, I plan to use this as my road bike once I have bought a proper 'full suss' bike (I'm thinking the Commencal Meta). My hubs are centre lock and I like the look of these as a cheap first disc for mainly on road use

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/disc-brake-systems/p roduct/m545-cable-disc-brakes-08-17537

Any thoughts/suggestions on alternative cable/disc systems?

badblood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant go far wrong with those for cables, and as you say if you are thinking of going full sus in the future, every penny counts!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need discs for road use.

Save the money towards a new bike.
safairclough

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm Yeh but I'd like to have them.... Smile

I think they will be worth the 80 investment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: