Fitness Issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martinez75

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Fitness Issue Reply with quote

Hey Guys, new to this site and new to forums in general so forgive any faux pas!

Just started biking again after years of sat behind a computer putting weight on. Am 36 yrs old and over the last 2 months and only 10 bike rides i've managed to shift 7lbs bringing my weight down to 12st 13lb. This is good. The problem i have is, I've been going out occasionally with a friend who is 9 yrs younger, albeit heavier than me and has put in twice as many rides as me. I can't keep up with him. Whilst i struggle for breath and my legs burn like crazy, he does'nt stop and seems to find it effortless. This is frustrating and does negative things to my mindset. We're planning a 215 mile Transpennine charity ride soon but at this rate it's going to be pointless. Any tips to get my fitness and stamina where it needs to be?

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
bob_mck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could improve your strength by doing squats....however the best way to do both is to keep riding your bike, try and do plenty hill work as well.

Having said that running now and again will help, thats what I found anyway.
Martinez75

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bob, thanks for the reply.

Would love to do running but had to give it up due to mild arthritis in the hips, hence the bike riding. I'll definitely think about the squats but try do them without squandering money on a gym membership! Laughing
guitar106music

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Bike rides Reply with quote

I think your problem lies with "over the last 2 months and only 10 bike rides". If you want to get fitter you need to get out more often. Is it possible to ride to work for example? This is a dead easy way to get some "free" training in. Other than that set yourself specific times in the week when you can go out, every other day for example. You haven't stated how far you ride when you do go out, or for how long.

I've been riding to work for the last 3 months now, and have significantly improved my fittness, and the time it takes, however if I really go for it my legs still burn. I'm no expert but I hope this helps a little.

Martinez75

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

Yeh most of the problem definitely lies in a lack of rides and my friend is putting more in, like every other day. I work from home so the 'free training' wouldn't really benefit me lol. Distances have been increasing from 6 miles when i started to 17.5 miles the other day. That was a real killer tho and i could only be bothered with 7 today, which i still found difficult, especially on the long road climbs. My legs fatigue really quickly.
guitar106music

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: problem Reply with quote

You just need to stick at it, and maybe up the distance and the frequency. It takes a bit of time, but it gets easier. What type of riding are you doing, road/trails, what sort of bike do you have, mtb/road? Have you set it up correctly? I adjusted my saddle, and got less leg ache.

If you want to ride 7 miles and it not hurt, you need to train by doing alot more miliage, and then 7 will feel like a breeze. I do 15 mile a day, 5 days a week, and a 20 miler is no problem any more, but when I started it was tough!

Martinez75

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Cannondale F700 (1998 i think). Not sure if it's set up right to be honest, i still have a lot to learn. Am doing both off-road and road. I much prefer off-road although i did wipe myself out the other day and am a little apprehensive now lol.
Natalie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I can't keep up with him. Whilst i struggle for breath and my legs burn like crazy, he does'nt stop and seems to find it effortless."

That doesn't sound like much fun to me. It reminds me of a ride I went on a couple of years ago with a group of guys who were far faster than me. Eventually they waited to let me catch up and they said they thought I had a mechanical problem and then sprinted off again Embarassed Crying or Very sad

If it was me I would prefer to cycle on my own (which is what I do) than cycle with someone who's too fast and won't slow down, there's no fun it that.
trekster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: problem Reply with quote

guitar106music wrote:
You just need to stick at it, and maybe up the distance and the frequency. It takes a bit of time, but it gets easier. What type of riding are you doing, road/trails, what sort of bike do you have, mtb/road? Have you set it up correctly? I adjusted my saddle, and got less leg ache.

If you want to ride 7 miles and it not hurt, you need to train by doing alot more miliage, and then 7 will feel like a breeze. I do 15 mile a day, 5 days a week, and a 20 miler is no problem any more, but when I started it was tough!

do you use any supplements or anything? i do similar mileage but come thursdays my legs are hurting and fridays are just slow and painful.
guitar106music

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: supplements Reply with quote

Hi, no supplements mate, just make sure I get enough protein(nuts) and carbs in me to make sure I don't run out of energy. TBH I start to feel it more towards the end of the week, but I think that's because I feel good at the start of the week, and really go for it.
trekster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol know what you mean, i try and hold back over the first couple of days but the energy levels are up and i just have to go!
i did try one saturday 2 cans of monster drink and don't know if it was a placebo effect or what but i did seem to have a lot more energy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: