Spin bike help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Spin bike help Reply with quote

I went and got me a spin bike just so I can get some extra pedaling done during the week until the days get longer. Can anyone point me to some video's or routines to follow along with please.

I really want to build up my endurance and hill climbing again. I know I'm never going to be as fit and as quick as I was in my 20's when I was into cycling, but I really want to reach a level where I can deal with most trails and hills with ease.

Sorry for the boring bit below, I've never shared this before.

Quite a few year ago I became quite poorly and discovered I had an aggressively over active thyroid that became uncontrollable with medication. It left me so tired and lethargic all the time, to the point it was becoming very dangerous for my heart. I had to have an emergency operation and have it totally removed. From that day on I just piled on the pounds over the years because I now had no metabolism at all and still no enegy. I hated the fact that I was overweight, I kept going back to the doctors over the years to asking them to up my daily dose of thyroxine, that I now have to take for the rest of my life just so I could have enough energy to take up some sort of exercise. The doctors just kept telling me it would be to dangerous for me to up the dose and tell me I'm taking the right ammount. I got sent to numerous dietitians with the same outcome everytime, I need a sports dietitian and the NHS does not do cover that for the average person. In january 2012 I finally found a doctor that was willing to help me and we finally got the tablet dose right and I began to feel a little like my old self again. So I went and got a treadmill and slowly began to build up my fitness over eight months and cutting out sugars and processed foods. I was told by doctors and reading on thyroid forums that it was going to be a real struggle to lose weight,but not impossible because I now had to work twice as hard as anyone else to shed the same ammount of weight. A challenge I was willing to undertake, and its paying off. I'm now down to 12 stone, my goal is 10 stone and my sixpack back would be a bonus. I can then start to look forward to next year where I plan to do Ben nevis and mount Snowdon and maybe, just maybe compete in a race again one day.

Anyway I got this old Spinbike for £30 it was a bit unloved and rusty. I stripped it down, wire wooled all the chrome, polished the paintwork, put on new cables, a new seat, found some old XT V-brakes in the shed and tuned in the gear shifter and now work like a dream.

Thanks for any imput you can give me.

Carl.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try these for a bit of motivation. Wink

http://www.thesufferfest.com/

crom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gunner, just downloaded the beginner pack Very Happy
Kas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: tips from the beginner Reply with quote

Hi, I have joined the spinning class 3 weeks ago and it is far too early for me to give any advice, but I can share a few things I noticed.
The workout always starts easily (level 3/4), then we go uphill (up to level 8 - that is when I feel I am about to die) and stay there for about 10 minutes. Third part is more "flat" and includes total of 4 sprints (around level 5). Part 2 and 3 are done in sited, standing and hovering position.
And then 45 minutes is up and I can barely move;) Hope that helps and good luck with your exercise regime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: