Can someone clear something up for me?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dog296

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Can someone clear something up for me? Reply with quote

Hey.

Trying to get fitter and lighter.
I currently weight 99kg (15.9st) and I want to be 65kg (10st)

I have no time scale as such, but I am due to be married in Aug, so loosing a bit wouldn't go a miss.

To help this, I've started turbo training, when I really don't fancy going out properly. I have also purchased a heart rate monitor.

This is where I need something clearing up...

After trawling though the internet, I'm reading conflicting things.

Some say that I need to do 30-60mins of 60%-70% (125-145BPM for me)
and some say to blast it hard... for 30-60mins 75%-90% (160-180BPM)
and some say interval training is where its at.

I do want my Cross Country fitness to improve, I'm fed up of being out of breath on big climbs. But my main objective at the minute is burning what my body has stored (as fat) for fuel.

Some say doing 60-70% burns reserved fuel (fat) yet higher BPM 75-90% burns calories and not fat....

So what can I do?

Can someone show me the light?

ta

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
AvalancheJon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have a sensible diet and ride as often as possible and don't worry about heart rate thing at all. Just enjoy your rides and eat well. The weight will drop off without the obsession of losing weight.
trekster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very true, i used to weigh 17st but just riding and no dieting lost me 5st in weight in just over a year, in fact i ate what ever i wanted!
dannybee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AvalancheJon. wrote:
Just have a sensible diet and ride as often as possible and don't worry about heart rate thing at all. Just enjoy your rides and eat well. The weight will drop off without the obsession of losing weight.

I agree with this tried a few things to lose weight but biking eating sensibly have been the easiest and most enjoyable, That said im going to have to pedal double hard next time im out as I cant stop eating this week !
GunBalina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that long low intensity workouts are great so burn fat. At least that's what my HR monitor also tells me. Short bursts of training also do the job, but you need a decent base to do it, otherwise you may risk doing more harm than good.

Weight lost is achieved by balancing energy spent (exercise) and energy accumulated (eating).
There are some "extreme" diets, where you can loose a lot of weight in one go. If you cut all your carbs (like in the low carb or atkins diet) you will loose a lot of weight quite fast (think 5 Kgs in one month, maybe much more, without exercising too much).
This is a very easy diet because you don't count calories, but you only avoid one type of food, carbs found in rice, pasta, potatoes, most fruit, beer and sugar. Notice that exercising like crazy and doing this diet does not sound too good. There are more moderate versions where you eat less than 100g of carbs a day (meaning eating in-season fresh fruit) and they appear to also be fine. Usually you should accompany these diets with food supplements (meaning you are not getting everything in your food).
Notice I'm not advocating these diets, but if seen people loose faith in weight loss because they don't see immediate results and using this to get their head on doing something.

In any diet you should cut out any processed carbs (white bread, sugar) and go for a more healthy variety (dark bread, no sugar) which is absorbed slower by your body. Snack on almonds and similar and drink plenty of water. Pay attention to hidden calories, like in sugar in tea, biscuits advertised as healthy and so on. Also, eat little, eat often (every few hours), sometimes even when not hungry (very little). This way when it's the real meals time you will less and never put your body into starvation mode.
Most people can stick to diets if the food you are eating tastes really good. So change your eating habits to nice and tasty food (even if it takes a bit longer to cook) and always plan ahead. Make sure that you the ingredients for a few days meals at home. Make a few batches of food, freeze and you are set.
Gunner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the turbo, train at an intensity of about 85-91% of maximal heart rate for best fat burning results.

Low intensity heart rate training is great for burning fat but the necessary factor here is time, and I'm sure you don't want to be sat on a turbo for 4 to 6 hours.

45 mins to 1 hour 30min of the above should kick your fat burning into touch.

Wink

Dog296

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your advice!
nick-sl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fasted cardio is great for fat loss

eat less move more simple as that for losing weight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Cardio Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: