New 1x10 setup noisy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshpatto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: New 1x10 setup noisy Reply with quote

Just fit a Raceface narrow wide chainring to my Santa Cruz with and a Hope 40t-rex on the cassette... I've adjusted the rear derailleur (shimano xt shadow plus) as best as I can but it sounds pretty noisy as I get to the lower end of gears... am i missing something? When peddling backwards on the Hope 40t-rex the chain will jump back a gear also.

Maybe this is normal or something stupid I'm missing. Any help would be great, cheers

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Roberto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any bike can jump gears if you pedal backwards if the chainline isn't straight.

1x gear set ups will also have an extreme chainline more often as you only have one chainring.

I've always thought that 1x is a fashion thing but have recently heard that SRAM are developing a 1x drivetrain for road bikes.

Threevok

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: New 1x10 setup noisy Reply with quote

joshpatto wrote:
Just fit a Raceface narrow wide chainring to my Santa Cruz with and a Hope 40t-rex on the cassette... I've adjusted the rear derailleur (shimano xt shadow plus) as best as I can but it sounds pretty noisy as I get to the lower end of gears... am i missing something? When peddling backwards on the Hope 40t-rex the chain will jump back a gear also.

Maybe this is normal or something stupid I'm missing. Any help would be great, cheers

Is your chainline correct ?

Very interested as to how you get on with this setup - as it's the same one I intend for the build.

Did you need to replace the b-screw of the xt shadow for a longer one, in order to use the T-Rex ?

joshpatto

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T-rex came with a longer b-screw which was pretty helpful

Will be testing it today so will let you know how I get on
Threevok

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that's good to know, saves me sourcing one
stu8975

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roberto wrote:
1x gear set ups will also have an extreme chainline more often as you only have one chainring.

No different to riding around in your middle ring on a 3x set up.

Measure your chainline first up. It will be slightly noisier at the extremes just because the chainring teeth are thicker and there's no 'play' like you get on a normal width ring. The 40t will add to that extreme.

Ive got a 73mm bb shell and had to shim my 34t Works Components ring inwards to get a good chainline, but its not silent with a 36t cassette.
joshpatto

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested the 1x10 setup at the weekend and as predicted it wasn't perfect. May have to look at using shims as Stu said as I am running it on a 2x crank up front.

Still a pretty nice set up though
stu8975

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a double then you'll most probably have to shim it as the chainline is measured between the 2 rings @48.8mm as opposed to a 50mm on a triple measured to the middle ring (which is what min is), if mine was a 68mm shell i wouldn't have to shim it.

So to your outer ring position it would be over 50mm (prob 51-52mm)....just measure it from centre of seatube to the outer ring.

You can also play around with the bb spacers on the drive side if you are using any.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: