What is the best cassette choice for me?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magnus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: What is the best cassette choice for me? Reply with quote

This is aimed mainly at those good people that know about ratio choice.

It is time to change my crank set, it has been through 3 cassettes and 9 chains in the past two and a half years and done more than 15000 miles and now looks like a piece of second hand Mecanno.

the new crank choice will be FC-M780-10S (Deore XT 10 speed in silver) not black; the main reason for silver is with the mileage i do, the black paint wears off any way and you end up with a dull shitty silver.

chain rings as standard 24T, 32T, 42T Wheels are 29er

Whilst doing the crank I shall also change the chain and cassette, but which ratio set to choose? 11-36; 11-34; or 11-32 or should i go for a bigger ratio chain wheel say 44T

Bare in mind I don't do any big hills with this bike it is purely for commuting on canal tow paths. My current cassette is XT 11-36 but I find i never ever use the 36 sprocket. I tend to start off in the 24T sprocket and 32T middle chain ring. as for spinning out the 42/11 top ratio... well yes i do on occasion but only if there is a good wind up my Chuff Embarassed once I get going I am quickly on the 42T chain ring and then depending on conditions hover between 13T 15T, 17T, and 19T on the cassette.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/content/seh-bike/en/home/mtb/drivetrain/ca ssettes/cs-m771-10.html

So what to do for the best, and no i am not bothering to go 2X10 it's just not for me sorry.

Cheers in advance chaps
Very Happy

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
stu8975

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you really considered a double? or actually ridden one?

Your current 42/13 combo that you mainly use is actually slower than what you'd get with a a double (38/24), in the 38/11 combo, only 42/11 combo would be faster.

Your current 3x combo also has around 10 identical or near identical combos, as opposed to around 3-4 if you went to a double (using either 32/34/36 biggest sprocket cassette). So you'd trim off un needed duplicates.

You could even put say put an Ultegra 11-28 cassette on if you don't need the climbing gear and you'd have 1 nearly the same ratio.

You've said it yourself regarding the big ring only using top gear when theres a good wind behind, you'd lose about 3mph off your top speed but still should be able to hit 30mph+ depending on how fast you can spin with a 38 big ring.
Magnus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woh! good answer and plenty to consider or reconsider. it is a fact that the latest Marin IFT's have gone over to a double chain ring but i never bothered to check out the ratios. funny thing is i was considering a 44 up front and it had never occurred to me to go smaller.

i confess i was being a tad lazy. i could take the time and work out the ratios and gear/travel distance but couldn't be arsed Embarassed Embarassed also i was loathed to get rid of the granny because there may be a chance next year to hit the lanes around Keswick

(Big up for Andy at The Saddle back Cafe)

so if i do stay with the triple which cassette? or am i going to have to do the math? lol: Laughing Laughing

many thanks Stu :

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

stu8975

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what i did when i went to a double conversion many moons ago (now on a 1x set up), is ride your normal routes, pref record the rides with strava or the like.

Then you'll get an idea of your max speeds (you'll be able to see if you can ditch the big ring), if you're not hitting 30 ish mph for any significant length of time you'll prob won't miss it.

You'll see what climbs you encounter (if any) and should be able to work out if you can drop climbing gears (I used to ride with a 3x 11-25 ultegra cassette on my 06 Anthem as theres no real hills round here). 1st gear ratio (24f-25r ) is the same as my current 1st gear 1x set up (34f-36r).

See what your average speed is, you may even go to 1x Wink
Magnus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my route takes me along the river soar in Leicester and out through water-meade country park, a reclaimed gravel quarry. it is a real fun, beautiful ride along river side, canal, woods and park land; approximately 1 km each end is road. the surfaces vary from concrete, hard pack, loose gravel and muddy paths and narrow bridges through to good tarmacked areas. one thing the route is, is, it is very snaking. i consider my self very fortunate to have this as my daily commute; I love it.

average speed over the year on strava is 15mph with a normal top speed of 28mph

I am constantly accelerating and braking hence the need to be shifting between the gears i mentioned. it's all about cadence management really; for this reason i was considering the 11-32 as the top 5 ratios are really close together. bit like my road bike really.

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: