crash question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tweep

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: crash question Reply with quote

hello

I was hit from the side by a car. The frame ( MTB) cracked , the wheels buckled, the stem/bar bent too.

The drivers insurance company are finding every opportunity to delay paying out ( the police were involved and proved it was the drivers fault)

The bike shop quoted on new parts but i feel the insurance company will try and reduce the amount because that seems to be the path they are taking.They even asked for photos after the bike shop quote.

My fear is they will not pay out for the wheels. My view is that the impact was so hard to crack a mtb frame that the wheels strength has been compromised and to simply re-true the wheels is not fair and would worry me on every bend I would ride. I could not sell them unless I informed the buyer of the crash.

Would you guys expect to have new wheels after such an impact?

Thanks for your help.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
stu8975

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, no.

It would depend on how much damage to the wheels has been done.

If they are within re-true limits then thats what you'll have to live with.

No different if YOU crashed and had them re-trued (as thousands of people have done), would you then go buy new wheels because of your fear the strength had been compromised? I doubt it.

No insurance company is gonna pay out for new part/parts if they can be repaired, they're under no obligation to do it either. Say £20 spent on repairing the wheels vs £xxx for new ones.

No different if you caused the crash and put a dent in the door and they asked you to pay for a complete new door. You wouldn't be happy.

Photos of the the damage should be expected, if the damage is genuine then you should have no issue supplying them. If they paid out on claims because someone said it was damaged beyond repair, they'd be out of business quick sharpish. It reduces fraudulent claims.

eg...If I had a accident and not my fault, went to the lbs with bike for inspection, few bits kaput, few bits repairable. Got them to write the bike off so i could claim for a new one.....if the insurance company didn't ask for pics, every tom d*ck and harry would be getting new bikes every few month and they'd all be jobless.

If it was a car crash, there'd be pics of damage, so no different to your accident.
Kajjal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the damage and the report from the bike shop. They need to return the bike to its original state.
tweep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to shorten my reply :

To anyone who gets run over or hit by a car. Don't settle for anything less than a perfectly safe bike, just like the one you had before you were hit! Don't bend anything back for anyone. Especially your front wheel.

I have been given funds by the insurance company, for new wheels frame and almost every other part too.

So ignore stu's response . Unless you want failure.
landrover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweep wrote:
to shorten my reply :

To anyone who gets run over or hit by a car. Don't settle for anything less than a perfectly safe bike, just like the one you had before you were hit! Don't bend anything back for anyone. Especially your front wheel.

I have been given funds by the insurance company, for new wheels frame and almost every other part too.

So ignore stu's response . Unless you want failure.

good result Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: