Upgrading my gears on a cheap hybrid bike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trugman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Upgrading my gears on a cheap hybrid bike Reply with quote

Hi
I have this bike. Its ok but the gears are worn already and also the chain.
I was thinking of replacing the cassette with nine or ten gears and was wondering what I might have to purchase to do that? I know I need to replace the chain and cassette I guess I would need a gear shifter as well and maybe the derailleur. It is a cheap bike and I use it mostly about town but instead of buying another I fancy just changing the gears.
I am ok with cheap options. Halfords have
this which seems a likely suspect. Any advice of else I might need to match it.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/gears-drivetrain-cables/shi mano-hg300-9-speed-cassette-11-32t

This is the Bike http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3323320.htm

My other thought is to get a second hand for around a couple of hundred if anyone has any tips about that Smile
Thanks in advance.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a very brief look at the spec sheet for the bike it appears that it is fitted with a six speed cassette at the back, so I'd be pretty certain that you wouldn't be able to go to 10 speed on it, and I think 9 speed would be out of the question too.

In fact before you do anything I'd certainly check which type of fitting the cassette is, as I suspect that it may actually be a screw on type.

If I were you I'd look for a cheap 2nd hand bike that is more upgrade friendly, not really worth throwing any money at your existing bike as I don't think you'd notice any benefit.

Trugman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Cheers Reply with quote

Hi Gunner
Thanks for that info. I definately won't be spending much on it. I think I might just change the cassette and chain as I can do that for £20 from Halfords. I will wait and look around for like you say a decent second hand in the coming months.
I thought you could put a bigger cassette on and change the gear shift on the handle to accomodate the new gears? Anyway I will get 8 sprockets and worry about the gear shift later. The only thing that would stop me would be if I needed a new sprocket at the front. That would push the price up and make it not a practical solution to fix mine.
Thanks for the tip about the screw on. I will look at mine and make sure I get the right cassette.
Cheers
Gunner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't just stick a bigger cassette on the back with more gears, the problem lies with the width of the frame at the rear of the bike. More gears equals wider cassette, plus narrower chain, which can have implications for the front chainset, etc, etc, etc....................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: