Bottom Bracket Replacement
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Bottom Bracket Replacement Reply with quote

After 3 years, I had to replace the aforementioned BB bearings on my (blue) Ribble yesterday

For a couple of months, it had been showing signs of play; with the cranks at the 08:10 position (& the drive-side at '10'), there was about 3mm of play at the end

With the relevant Hollow-Tech spanner & a new BB, I replaced it yesterday morning

It took a fair bit of knocking through, a rubber mallet wasn't working, so a ball-pein hammer (& block of wood) completed the task

I wasn't prepared for how bad the drive-side looked
I'm not sure if that's muck that has worked its way in, or powdered bearing?
It's quite possible, that it was just running on the bearing casing, going by the play exhibited upon removal

I'm not proud of letting it get into that state, but I guess it's had 3 (fairly) hard years, & was only a Tiagra component

A work-collegue has just replaced his (work-bikes) head-set & B/B with Hope componants, but then again, those are in a Surley frame, so a lot higher quality than mine

Next step;
Get the sealed (& press-fitted) bearings replaced in its front wheel (Vision Team 30)

P7060261.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  891 KB
 Viewed:  3145 Time(s)

P7060261.JPG

P7060262.JPG
 Description:
Drive-side nearest my finger-tips
 Filesize:  897.69 KB
 Viewed:  3145 Time(s)

P7060262.JPG

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Steve Kish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced both my road Ultegra brackets with Hope stainless ones - a great upgrade as they're serviceable and of course, if anything's wrong, Hope will bend over backwards to help.
Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might replace the (Ultegra) BB in the Gran Fondo, when the time comes with a Hope, but given the cost of it against my existing work/winter bike, it costs about the same as the frame!

Ribble are selling the frames (without forks) for £89, at the moment!

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-winter-audax-7005-frameset/

Robmet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldnt bother with the hope ones, for the price difference compared to longevity you cant beat the shimano ones. Just wait for them to go on sale somewhere and buy a few.
CRC had ultegra ones for £11 recently and I bagged a shimano saint one for not much more (it has gold cups for bling)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-saint-bb80-hollowtech-ii-bo ttom-bracket/rp-prod38345

Another tip with the shimano ones is if you carefully pop the black plastic cover off them when new and pack with a good quality waterproof grease they last basically forever.
Yet another tip is to make sure you use the black nylon washers (not aluminium) between the cups and the frame as they compress slightly when you torque the cups up and take out any minor alignment anomalies on the shell face that can sometime lead to premature bearing wear, the aluminium spacers allow for this.
Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robmet wrote:
I personally wouldnt bother with the hope ones, for the price difference compared to longevity you cant beat the shimano ones. Just wait for them to go on sale somewhere and buy a few.
CRC had ultegra ones for £11 recently and I bagged a shimano saint one for not much more (it has gold cups for bling)

Granted, yes, at that price you'll get 7 Ultegra BBs for roughly the same price

Maybe it's nice, just have a bit of UK manufactured equipment on the bike?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-stainless-steel-bottom-bracket/

Robmet wrote:
Another tip with the shimano ones is if you carefully pop the black plastic cover off them when new and pack with a good quality waterproof grease they last basically forever.

Earlier this afternoon, I levered the covers & seals off the old ones
The drive-side was dry & brown, with pronounced visible play in the bearing-races
The left, was dry, but still smooth

Richard A Thackeray

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bottom Bracket Replacement Reply with quote

Richard A Thackeray wrote:
Next step;
Get the sealed (& press-fitted) bearings replaced in its front wheel (Vision Team 30)

As mentioned in the ParkRun thread, in the Running section, this was done last week

Gary Proud, who owns Kendells Cycles, along with his wife, did the deed
There was roughly 2mm of play at the rim previously, and the tyre was just starting to show asymmetrical wear!

I got the old bearings back, & the roughness/play was even more apparent, without the rotational mass of the rim masking it

Money well spent

Next task; let him cut down the carbon steeper-tube of the Gran Fondo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> Road Bike Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: