Saracen Raw mountain bike advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doovydoo

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Saracen Raw mountain bike advice Reply with quote

Heya

basically i bought this off my next door neighbour for 30

its a saracen raw mountain bike with adjustable preload suspension and compressing front forks, thats about all i know about it haha!

i've got one rear wheel with it, seems to only have 7 sprockets on it but 8 gears on the handlebars (not sure about why this is lol).. anyone shed any light?

he has the other wheel at his uncles house, getting in in the next few days for me. also got 3 tyres with it (2 matching, nearly new) and an inner tube.

so far ive put the inner tube and tyre on the rear wheel (after cleaning it all up nicely), need to pump it up tomorrow with my 12v tyre pump Very Happy.
its attached on the bike frame now though and chain turns it fine.

so can anyone point me in the right direction for any worthy upgrades/mods lol?! or any other advice.

havent had a mountain bike for years, lost my last one (yes i did actually lose it, was in my garage.. then wasnt)

thanks Smile

daveeeee

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Dingosteve

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im guessing teh other wheel has the eight gear cassette on? the 7 seven speed is prolly not worth putting as it should be set for 8 speed.
Upgrades? well to be brutally honest, i wouldnt bother. See how much you use the bike if you get into MTB'n then shell out for a better bike you will find it a different world, dont be tempted to get a cheap full suspension bike i.e sub 1k new.
For now get it set up and just ride mate, thats the real meaning of mtb'n not having the latest kit. Smile

Doovydoo

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah of course, im looking to get it roadworthy, as it were Smile

i dont think the other wheel has the eight gear cassette on.. im pretty sure he said its the front wheel. my neighbour has swapped a lot of bike parts around onto his other bikes so i think that explains the lack of a gear sprocket lol. i may go to local bike shop tomorrow and see what they have to replace the one thats on already.

i just want to get it working well so i can ride it! im not into spending serious money on it to be honest, just something to have a laugh on through the forest and dunes behind my house Smile and to get to the shops and back!

anyhoo another pic whilst im here with the wheel on, and my other 'bigger' bike too Very Happy

Dingosteve

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a like the bigger brother bike better Very Happy Wink
stu8975

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dingosteve says, you need an 8 speed cassette to get the gears working, or a 7 speed shifter, if they are not the original wheels you will need to check the current cassette/freewheel fitting (2 different fittings). If it has a screw on type (freewheel) then you will have to buy a new 7 spd shifter or get a wheel with a 'cassette' fitting as 8 speed freewheels don't exist, only available as a 8 spd cassette..may sound confusing if you are not up to speed on mtb stuff.

Doovydoo

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay i see what you mean by that

just a quick question then, with the gears on the handlebars all set to 1, the chain should be on the largest sprockets at the rear wheel and on the largest sprocket at the pedals yeeeeeees? cant work out if the chain is placed correctly lol
Doovydoo

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget that last question, ive got it figured out now Smile

pumped up rear tyre with 12v air pump, doesnt leak yay!

just stuck a front wheel on from my dads old bike, really thin and a bit larger but just to test the bike and it works going up and down gears fine!

gonna try and get some new bars on it off ebay cheaply, possibly some renthals for a motorbike as i prefer wider more angled position Very Happy
stu8975

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears - r/h shifter 1= biggest sprocket, 8=smallest. l/h shifter 1= smallest chainring, 3= biggest. Avoid certain combo's, namely 1 - 8 (small chainring/small rear sprocket) and 3 - 1 (big chainring/big sprocket). Personally i'd avoid 1- 7/8 and 3 - 1/2. you'll notice the chain is at an extreme angle when it leaves the rings, will help to wear it out quicker and snap due to being flexed sideways.
Doovydoo

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks stu thats really good, thats what i got it set up as now Smile

kinda just waiting for the matching front wheel.. rear brake works well and i assume the front will too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: