Bike repair shop in Stockton wanted to true a wheel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jez

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Bike repair shop in Stockton wanted to true a wheel Reply with quote

Any recommendations for a decent bike shop in Stockton who will true a wheel for a reasonable price for me?

Only know of two bike shops, one of which I've been in twice and wasn't too impressed with the service.

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
johnc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use skinnergate cycles for wheel truing, cost 7 quid a wheel, and they do a good job, my front wheel is in there now, after i snapped a spoke on last weeks forum ride, thats costing me 70p for a new spoke, plus 7 quid for a wheel tru.
grant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jez
there is a proper bike shop in thornaby lanehouse road g.r cycles
gary the shop owner very very good with bikes used him for a number of years so has most of the riders from stockton wheelers has he used to ride for them at one point .
wheel recommended.
grant
Jez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant wrote:
hi jez
there is a proper bike shop in thornaby lanehouse road g.r cycles
gary the shop owner very very good with bikes used him for a number of years so has most of the riders from stockton wheelers has he used to ride for them at one point .
wheel recommended.
grant

I wasn't impressed with his attitude towards me when on my first (and last) two visits. Rolling Eyes

I went to Skinnergate cycles in the end, really helpful and friendly, however the wheel was beyond repair.
Gunner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I have to give a big thumbs down to G&R Cycles on Lanehouse Road, Thornaby, as well.

I took a wheel in to be trued and recieved it back with the axle slightly loose creating quite a bit of wobble when seated in the frame. This was clearly not acceptable and I returned the wheel to have it re-adjusted, the guy giving me funny look and saying that all wheels should be like that, a little bit loose. The wheel I got back seemed O.K. but when put on the bike and ridden, after about 1 mile the wheel stopped virtually dead with the axle/q/r etc., etc. all virtually stripped and the threads totally useless Shocked

So I won't use them again

johnc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think skinnergates is even better since they moved there shop, got my wheel back the other day, new spoke, and nicely trued for 7.50. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: