What Chain Lube?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doomanic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: What Chain Lube? Reply with quote

What chain lube do you use in the claggy winter conditions and what cleaning regimen do you follow?
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this, all year round:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/finish-line-teflon-plus-dry-lube/?count ry_code=GB&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqvnkm5HY2AIVZrftCh1rawvyEAQY ASABEgJ--fD_BwE#pid=30242&utm_medium=cpc-none-converters

And this to clean the chain whenever I feel that a clean is necessary.

Cheap as chips but I find it very effective:

https://www.merlincycles.com/barbieri-chain-cleaner-with-fluid-107203. html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopp ing&utm_term=Bike+Cleaning&ucpo=44623&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5sGq2ZHY2AIVz5 ztCh0bHw2eEAQYBSABEgIb4_D_BwE

CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 and a hard bristle brush and then good ol' 3 in 1.
Magnus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will horrify most on here, but it works for me. I get good chain life and very few problems. I work in the motor trade so have access to some very aggressive cleaning products but equally amazing drying and lubing products

1 i dont clean it to often as it is a commuter. So when it gets real bad, this time of year perhaps 2 week intervals if I can be bothered or have the time.

2 I chuck a load of wheel clean acid at it, give it 20 seconds or so then blast it with the Jet Wash (not steam, I am not that mad)

3 chuck a load of aqua-wax at it, drip dry, quick blast with the airline then park up in my office to dry properly by the radiator

4 ptfe super lube or fully synth 0-30 engine oil. Always periodically during the week a quick wipe and Fully synth engine oil ( I know the pros and cons of using engine oil but fully synth 0-30 is fine for me, not sticky, super penetrating, extremely hydrophobic and it is free Very Happy )

Chains to me are a consumable anyway and when they are working they are virtually friction free, once on the cog or chain wheel they are stationary in relation to the gear they are driving. I just need to keep them supple and shifting properly, i change gear alot on my commute.

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
This will horrify most on here, but it works for me. I get good chain life and very few problems. I work in the motor trade so have access to some very aggressive cleaning products but equally amazing drying and lubing products

1 i dont clean it to often as it is a commuter. So when it gets real bad, this time of year perhaps 2 week intervals if I can be bothered or have the time.

2 I chuck a load of wheel clean acid at it, give it 20 seconds or so then blast it with the Jet Wash (not steam, I am not that mad)

3 chuck a load of aqua-wax at it, drip dry, quick blast with the airline then park up in my office to dry properly by the radiator

4 ptfe super lube or fully synth 0-30 engine oil. Always periodically during the week a quick wipe and Fully synth engine oil ( I know the pros and cons of using engine oil but fully synth 0-30 is fine for me, not sticky, super penetrating, extremely hydrophobic and it is free Very Happy )

Chains to me are a consumable anyway and when they are working they are virtually friction free, once on the cog or chain wheel they are stationary in relation to the gear they are driving. I just need to keep them supple and shifting properly, i change gear alot on my commute.

Doesn't horrify me Magnus.
People spend waaaay too much buying so called "specific " lubricant.
And yet the guys who sell it to you don't use them .
At least in my LBS and the one previously in my old town.

Magnus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarnaptiousB'Stard wrote:
Magnus wrote:

Doesn't horrify me Magnus.
People spend waaaay too much buying so called "specific " lubricant.
And yet the guys who sell it to you don't use them .
At least in my LBS and the one previously in my old town.

Well that wasn't at all... Carnaptious Shocked Laughing

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
Robmet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean with Astonish grease buster (the stuff out of the kitchen section in boyes etc... normally £1), this is by far the best degreaser i've ever used and that includes much more expensive ones.

Then on the good bike I lube with 3in1 spray with PTFE.

On the commuter I use Action can CD-90 which is v.heavy duty, this goes on about twice a year and gets ridden in all weather.
CarnaptiousB'Stard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robmet wrote:
Clean with Astonish grease buster (the stuff out of the kitchen section in boyes etc... normally £1), this is by far the best degreaser i've ever used and that includes much more expensive ones.

Then on the good bike I lube with 3in1 spray with PTFE.

On the commuter I use Action can CD-90 which is v.heavy duty, this goes on about twice a year and gets ridden in all weather.

Nice one mate,sounds like just the trick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: