What Chain Lube?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Doomanic



Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 546
Location: Evesham, Worcs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: What Chain Lube? Reply with quote

What chain lube do you use in the claggy winter conditions and what cleaning regimen do you follow?
_________________
'96 Zaskar LE (now the wife's)
'98 Club Roost VCV (now the bro's)
'11 Camber FSR Comp (now the son's)
'16 Nukeproof Mega 275 Race (now for sale)
'17 Trek Powerfly LT 8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Register & log in to remove these advertisements!
Gunner



Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 29315
Location: Under Whitestone-Cliffe on the Lake.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this, all year round:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/finish-line-teflon-plus-dry-lube/?count ry_code=GB&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqvnkm5HY2AIVZrftCh1rawvyEAQY ASABEgJ--fD_BwE#pid=30242&utm_medium=cpc-none-converters


And this to clean the chain whenever I feel that a clean is necessary.

Cheap as chips but I find it very effective:

https://www.merlincycles.com/barbieri-chain-cleaner-with-fluid-107203. html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopp ing&utm_term=Bike+Cleaning&ucpo=44623&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5sGq2ZHY2AIVz5 ztCh0bHw2eEAQYBSABEgIb4_D_BwE

_________________
Your poison letter, your telegram, just goes to show you don't give a damn!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CarnaptiousB'Stard



Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 219
Location: Thorntonhall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 and a hard bristle brush and then good ol' 3 in 1.
_________________
Dropper Posts Are For The Butt Hurt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Magnus



Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 1512
Location: Leicester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will horrify most on here, but it works for me. I get good chain life and very few problems. I work in the motor trade so have access to some very aggressive cleaning products but equally amazing drying and lubing products

1 i dont clean it to often as it is a commuter. So when it gets real bad, this time of year perhaps 2 week intervals if I can be bothered or have the time.

2 I chuck a load of wheel clean acid at it, give it 20 seconds or so then blast it with the Jet Wash (not steam, I am not that mad)

3 chuck a load of aqua-wax at it, drip dry, quick blast with the airline then park up in my office to dry properly by the radiator

4 ptfe super lube or fully synth 0-30 engine oil. Always periodically during the week a quick wipe and Fully synth engine oil ( I know the pros and cons of using engine oil but fully synth 0-30 is fine for me, not sticky, super penetrating, extremely hydrophobic and it is free Very Happy )

Chains to me are a consumable anyway and when they are working they are virtually friction free, once on the cog or chain wheel they are stationary in relation to the gear they are driving. I just need to keep them supple and shifting properly, i change gear alot on my commute.

_________________
This isn't a Paunch its a fuel tank for a Marin
Raleigh Shimano 105 team triathlon

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CarnaptiousB'Stard



Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 219
Location: Thorntonhall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
This will horrify most on here, but it works for me. I get good chain life and very few problems. I work in the motor trade so have access to some very aggressive cleaning products but equally amazing drying and lubing products

1 i dont clean it to often as it is a commuter. So when it gets real bad, this time of year perhaps 2 week intervals if I can be bothered or have the time.

2 I chuck a load of wheel clean acid at it, give it 20 seconds or so then blast it with the Jet Wash (not steam, I am not that mad)

3 chuck a load of aqua-wax at it, drip dry, quick blast with the airline then park up in my office to dry properly by the radiator

4 ptfe super lube or fully synth 0-30 engine oil. Always periodically during the week a quick wipe and Fully synth engine oil ( I know the pros and cons of using engine oil but fully synth 0-30 is fine for me, not sticky, super penetrating, extremely hydrophobic and it is free Very Happy )

Chains to me are a consumable anyway and when they are working they are virtually friction free, once on the cog or chain wheel they are stationary in relation to the gear they are driving. I just need to keep them supple and shifting properly, i change gear alot on my commute.

Doesn't horrify me Magnus.
People spend waaaay too much buying so called "specific " lubricant.
And yet the guys who sell it to you don't use them .
At least in my LBS and the one previously in my old town.

_________________
Dropper Posts Are For The Butt Hurt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Magnus



Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 1512
Location: Leicester

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarnaptiousB'Stard wrote:
Magnus wrote:
This will horrify most on here, but it works for me. I get good chain life and very few problems. I work in the motor trade so have access to some very aggressive cleaning products but equally amazing drying and lubing products

1 i dont clean it to often as it is a commuter. So when it gets real bad, this time of year perhaps 2 week intervals if I can be bothered or have the time.

2 I chuck a load of wheel clean acid at it, give it 20 seconds or so then blast it with the Jet Wash (not steam, I am not that mad)

3 chuck a load of aqua-wax at it, drip dry, quick blast with the airline then park up in my office to dry properly by the radiator

4 ptfe super lube or fully synth 0-30 engine oil. Always periodically during the week a quick wipe and Fully synth engine oil ( I know the pros and cons of using engine oil but fully synth 0-30 is fine for me, not sticky, super penetrating, extremely hydrophobic and it is free Very Happy )

Chains to me are a consumable anyway and when they are working they are virtually friction free, once on the cog or chain wheel they are stationary in relation to the gear they are driving. I just need to keep them supple and shifting properly, i change gear alot on my commute.

Doesn't horrify me Magnus.
People spend waaaay too much buying so called "specific " lubricant.
And yet the guys who sell it to you don't use them .
At least in my LBS and the one previously in my old town.


Well that wasn't at all... Carnaptious Shocked Laughing

_________________
This isn't a Paunch its a fuel tank for a Marin
Raleigh Shimano 105 team triathlon

Lotus one plus one Columbus tubing 3 x butted
Campag chorus group including wheels

Marin Rocky Ridge 2001

Marin 2013 Indian Fire Trail 29er (best Marin ever)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robmet



Joined: 04 Jan 2010
Posts: 1892

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean with Astonish grease buster (the stuff out of the kitchen section in boyes etc... normally £1), this is by far the best degreaser i've ever used and that includes much more expensive ones.

Then on the good bike I lube with 3in1 spray with PTFE.

On the commuter I use Action can CD-90 which is v.heavy duty, this goes on about twice a year and gets ridden in all weather.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CarnaptiousB'Stard



Joined: 23 Sep 2016
Posts: 219
Location: Thorntonhall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robmet wrote:
Clean with Astonish grease buster (the stuff out of the kitchen section in boyes etc... normally £1), this is by far the best degreaser i've ever used and that includes much more expensive ones.

Then on the good bike I lube with 3in1 spray with PTFE.

On the commuter I use Action can CD-90 which is v.heavy duty, this goes on about twice a year and gets ridden in all weather.

Nice one mate,sounds like just the trick.

_________________
Dropper Posts Are For The Butt Hurt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTBE Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum